Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Has anyone ever used their space saver spare?

tim993

I'll be the first to admit that I have - back in 2011.

Sorry for the somewhat dull (to the unenlightened) ask, but hey we are discussing crumpled air hobby manuals and the like, so why not!

50mph tops in the turbo for over 10 miles up the A303 certainly got me some strange looks from other drivers. It was the near-side front so they wouldn't have spotted the reason why. Probably saw my grey hair and wondered who'd let dad out in his sons car...

Great question, I haven't but often wondered if you did would it ever deflate enough to fit back in its storage place.

Never needed it but I'm glad it's there unlike numerous modern cars which don't.
A friend punched a hole the size of a 2p in the sidewall of his Maserati's tyre in the depths of Wales, surprisingly the aerosol supplied was not sufficient. The car did have space for a spare but it was an optional extra.
Spanish neighbour stranded in his new Clio, luckily I have a diy plugging kit which made a temporary repair.
I get the same look from young women who first see the car then notice the old git driving it.

I haven't had the pleasure but I have pumped it up. It's quite a cool thing to watch actually.. we'll not that good but I was bored :D

I believe it forms a part of the consideration when involved in a frontal impact, does it not? That may be a rumour so don't hold me to that.

MattyR said:
I believe it forms a part of the consideration when involved in a frontal impact, does it not? That may be a rumour so don't hold me to that.

Indeed it does.....

I have used mine. It was a shame though that I had to put the flat on the passenger seat (on the supplied cover) and my wife had to get a taxi.... :grin:

No but I have used the compressor to get enough air into a flat tyre to get me to a garage where I had a slow puncture fixed .......

Twice, once in my 964 and once in the 993, worked fine on both occasions, of course the total bollok ache is that the big fat wheels won't fit in the boot, so you have to put it inside, I now carry BPB and ratchet straps just in case........

No problem deflating and putting back in the boot

It's clever how the tyre unfolds as you pump it up. Micheldever Tyres didn't need to be asked to suck the air out and return it to its packed state - they'd seen loads of them before 👍

Tim, someone has to say it. Most people in this section don't actually use their car, so why would they need to use the space saver tyre? :hand:

MattyR said:
I haven't had the pleasure but I have pumped it up. It's quite a cool thing to watch actually.. we'll not that good but I was bored :D

Winter evenings must be riveting in your house. Do you finish it off by rolling your cap :dont know:

Zingari said:
MattyR said:

Winter evenings must be riveting in your house. Do you finish it off by rolling your cap :dont know:

:hand: I know! It's crazy isn't it?! Phew, I need a lie down.

I had need for the space-saver with my previous turbo only to find that at some stage it had been replaced with one from a 993 without big reds - it wouldn't fit over the turbo's brakes, so had to be recovered on the back of a break-down truck. What a faff that was - the truck tip angle was too steep so we had too have lines of wood along the road to stop the exhaust tips dragging when it was hauled on.

I haven't but would use a 'stop n go' plug in preference any way (put stop n go in Ebay) I keep one of these kits in all vehicles... they're brilliant. I use the ones with sticky strings... The repair is stronger than the normal tyre. It's easy to do once you've had a bit of practice..... try a couple on any old tyre. No speed restrictions or wheel carrying problems either. I once had a puncture in a brand new Pzero rear on my NB... Kwik fit wouldn't repair it... (excessive nanny state health and safety bollox) so I bought this kit, and the repair was trouble free for the life of the tyre.

Will

tim993 said:
50mph tops in the turbo for over 10 miles up the A303 certainly got me some strange looks from other drivers..

Mine involved 120 miles of motorway to get home. In the rain, and going dark.
Since then, I f--g hate lorry drivers with a passion.

Will Statt said:
I haven't but would use a 'stop n go' plug in preference any way (put stop n go in Ebay) I keep one of these kits in all vehicles... they're brilliant. I use the ones with sticky strings... The repair is stronger than the normal tyre. It's easy to do once you've had a bit of practice..... try a couple on any old tyre. No speed restrictions or wheel carrying problems either. I once had a puncture in a brand new Pzero rear on my NB... Kwik fit wouldn't repair it... (excessive nanny state health and safety bollox) so I bought this kit, and the repair was trouble free for the life of the tyre.

Will

Sounds like something out of 50 Shades of Grey :floor:

ATB :)

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JLav211
Back