Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Borescope Results and Pictures

Jammy997

Here is a picture of my Borescope results. I'm pleased with them I think. Would just like a few other opinions. What's your thoughts chaps?

Attachments

• img_3671_206.png
    img_3671_206.png
    554.8 KB · Views: 5,792
And no there's not 8 cylinders haha there's just a few angles in there

Err shouldn't they be smooth? :?:

That's why I'm after opinions. RPM did this for me and he said he's had some better and a lot worse. 5 and 6 have what Dave called light/med scoring. Give me your opinions please. The more the merrier.

Does it smoke or use much oil?

I'd be inclined just to drive it and enjoy, seems to me from what I've read many 997's will have this issue in one form or another. The alternative is rather expensive.

I agree. We know they score, they all will. It's just managing as well as you can and monitoring

I'd take sensible precautions, e.g Millers oil, LTT and warm it through carefully. See how you get on but it sounds like it will see you through for a long time. Enjoy it!

It shows some scoreing yes .. is it bad ?? IMHO no , ive seen worse with no other symptons .

I would give it a 2 / 5 .

As mentioned .. no noise ie knocking .. no excessive oil usuage then its ok .

Bottom right seems the worst to me but its not exactly deep scoreing and for now i doubt will cause any issues .

Hartech are the experts here though so i always bow to their knowledge :)

Very sensible and quality advice gents. I've heard mixed reviews on the LTT. An essential?

Hi Jammy, only just picked up your pm.

As others have said the scoring looks quite light on most of the pics, 5 and 8 look to be the worst. Pic 8 looks similar, although not as bad, as the scoring on my cylinder number 4.

Cylinder_4.jpg

The pics from yours also look a lot clearer than mine (perhaps they have a new borescope now at RPM) so it's hard to compare like for like.

Which cylinders are which in your pics, it would be interesting to know which ones are the worst.

My borescope pics were taken at 64k, now at 68k with all the signs. I will be poking my borescope into the cylinders to see for myself before the car goes off to Hartech and compare with the pics taken by RPM.

[/url]

yes that is very low for the age, if demort says its ok then thats good enough for me.
I personally would drop an LTT in but as you say its down to choice and not essential as many cars have got to high miles without one.
i think the main thing is to keep everything working properly, regular oil changes and try not to push on before its warmed up properly which i'm sure you already know.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Silage
Back