Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Range rover sport / disco 3 advice please..

kas750

I'm selling my landrover 90 as I want something more suitable for motorway work.I have always liked the RR sport and the Disco 3's and I need some advice of what to look for and what to avoid.

Because I wont be doing that much mileage fuel economy or road tax band are not really an issue to me.I will be looking at one of the early models with a budget up to 15K.

Any thoughts please chaps.

I used to own a Range Rover vogue. As it was regularly breaking down or having issues, I often had a disco courtesy car. I actually preferred them by the end of my ownership. Never had a sport for sufficient time to decide if they are better or worse than a disco.

Disco's are a bit Cheltenham, Range Rover sports are a bit Chelmsford.

Hope that helps. :?

If you are not worried about fuel consumption I'd go for RR Sport 4.4, or supercharged. Less complex than the Tdi's, I think you would get a better lower miles car for your money.

They are complex beasts though, with air suspension and all manner of bits and bobs to go wrong.

There is a good buyers guide on pistonheads for the RR sport.

kas 750 D3 RRs same 2.7 engine and share the same chassis
In no particular order
Torque converter /lock up clutch fail cost £1500 a body off job
oil pump casing cracks and blow the engine bottom
D3 and D4 snap cranks ad hoc spun bearing, cost don't go there !!! Land Rover don't want to know !!!
air compressor fail
viscous fan fail
glow plugs snap in the heads when replacing them its a another body off job to remove the heads £2500
the brake light switch can play up and cause mayhem
EGR valves most have them blanked
fitting non Land Rover bulbs will play havoc with the ECUs
fitting a non OE alternator will cause grief
other than that greats cars

mzmini said:
kas 750 D3 RRs same 2.7 engine and share the same chassis
In no particular order
Torque converter /lock up clutch fail cost £1500 a body off job
oil pump casing cracks and blow the engine bottom
D3 and D4 snap cranks ad hoc spun bearing, cost don't go there !!! Land Rover don't want to know !!!
air compressor fail
viscous fan fail
glow plugs snap in the heads when replacing them its a another body off job to remove the heads £2500
the brake light switch can play up and cause mayhem
EGR valves most have them blanked
fitting non Land Rover bulbs will play havoc with the ECUs
fitting a non OE alternator will cause grief
other than that greats cars

Oh no!... :hammer: :oops:

Neighbour's just had his Vogue up for sale parked outside his house. £8,500. Lovely condition too. Was pale metallic green but looked beautiful.

We have an 09 RRS TDV8.

I absolutely love it!

The RRS and the Disco are the same car with different body and interiors, but every other part is the same. The evoque shares nothing with the RRS or Disco and is more like driving an X3 to me, having tested several before going for the RRS.

We had a little issue where the suspension would go down when you were doing 80 on the motorway leaving it on the bump stops, but this was easy to diagnose as a height sensor fault. £50 later, 30 mins of my time and she was up and running again.

Also needed an A/C condenser and this was a much bigger PITA. Whole front end needed removing to get to it..

27577748134_0e97d01784_k.jpg

Other than that the ownership experience has been sublime!

If I had my choice again I would probably go for the supercharged version rather than the TDV8. Don't get me wrong the TDV8 is a superb engine, torquey and responsive for a 2+tonne car, but it only averages 18mpg and there is always the small risk of a turbo eating itself.

The supercharged has no turbo worries, is quicker, essentially the same spec, and has the same/similar mpg.

I wouldn't be without one now I've had one.

:thumb:

alex yates said:
Neighbour's just had his Vogue up for sale parked outside his house. £8,500. Lovely condition too. Was pale metallic green but looked beautiful.
Range rover Alex?

ragpicker said:
We have an 09 RRS TDV8.

I absolutely love it!

We had a little issue where the suspension would go down when you were doing 80 on the motorway leaving it on the bump stops, but this was easy to diagnose as a height sensor fault. £50 later, 30 mins of my time and she was up and running again.

Also needed an A/C condenser and this was a much bigger PITA. Whole front end needed removing to get to it..

27577748134_0e97d01784_k.jpg

Other than that the ownership experience has been sublime!

If I had my choice again I would probably go for the supercharged version rather than the TDV8. Don't get me wrong the TDV8 is a superb engine, torquey and responsive for a 2+tonne car, but it only averages 18mpg and there is always the small risk of a turbo eating itself.

The supercharged has no turbo worries, is quicker, essentially the same spec, and has the same/similar mpg.

I wouldn't be without one now I've had one.

:thumb:

That's interesting as I must admit I had thought that the big supercharged version would be my preference.For what little difference there is in running costs you do get that big ***** off motor :thumbs:

Just seen the one I was on about whilst walking the dog this morning. 3.0 Range Rover Hse Td6 Auto. Thought it was a decent buy for £8.5k ono. Although if it's a Disco or RR sport you're after I've failed :grin:

20170209_072011_HDR_zpsflacq4b7.jpg

20170209_070313_HDR_zpspjh6wezx.jpg

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smiggles772
Back