Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

How does one remove the side indicator?! Cayman 987

The return of Marty Wild

I have removed the plug in the wheel arch, I've been sticking all manner of implements in from all directions. The assembly just won't pop out, I'm clearly not making contact with the spring, as per the manual.

Silver tag at the arch liner side you just push it in .. front part is hooked in place ... pull the liner out a bit or remove if its a headache .. video here should help though ..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tzm48itybJA

Thanks Iain, had already seen that vid. Manual says remove the grommet and poke a screwdriver in the hole. Do I just pull it off from the end closest the thevwheel then?!

Why does the manual say otherwise?!

Its a chrome retaining spring , you have to push towards the front of the car on it whilst levering it out .. plastic trim tool .. dont touch the front part .. thats hooked in , levering there will just break it.

I tend to use a screwdriver and push against it to release it then pop it out with a trim tool .

Cant remember if theres a grommet off hand , might be .. i usually do it with arch liner out or pulled back .. but then im doing different things than just removeing it :)

The video does show the chrome strip that holds it , it should give you an idear how its held in place .. think of an S shape .

This is so much easier to show you than to explain in text .. sigh ... downsides of a forum i guess :)

Cheers Bud, will have to take a proper look in the daylight.

I removed one of mine without problem as per the manual,
the other side was a real problem and just wouldn't come out.
I had to remove the plastic retainers and pull out the arch liner.
On inspection it looked like someone hadn't refitted the lens
properly and had bent the retaining clip so it wouldn't release.
(I had a similar problem with the interior courtesy light on my C4)

Won't get to it until next weekend now, was proper ballache but only attempted one side. Got worried I might do damage so desisted after a while.

That is actually a very good point and one i hadn,t considered tbrown ..

It does happen and as you did is the best solution if only to get a better look at it .

I used the following method on my 911 (997)... assume it's the same :dont know:

Attachments

• 997_side_marker_removal_147.jpg
    997_side_marker_removal_147.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 3,083
No arguements from me there .. manual says from the rear .. i do it from the front but you need trim tools and know how far to move it .. easy to damage the pu that way .. i advise the manual way but either way will work .

Cheers Gents, will have a go next weekend.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
golfguy11800
Back