Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Bore Score

GARY S

Monza
Yesterday I watched a program about the building of the Ferrari FF. It showed the assembly of the V12 engine. Each cylinder has a liner inserted. No messing about with micron thick coatings. That's how Ferrari's don't suffer bore score. So much for Porsche being the holy grail of automotive engineering.

:popcorn:

MC

Indeed, you see many 355's being used as daily drivers due to their legendary toughness, ability to be used to run to the shops and then around Brands etc.

:grin:

To be fair, Porsche sorted it with the air-cooleds man moons ago.

But did a reset for the craic.

GARY S said:
Yesterday I watched a program about the building of the Ferrari FF. It showed the assembly of the V12 engine. Each cylinder has a liner inserted. No messing about with micron thick coatings. That's how Ferrari's don't suffer bore score. So much for Porsche being the holy grail of automotive engineering.

:floor:

The routine maintenance costs on any Ferrari over 5 yrs would knock the rebuild costs of Porsche engine into a cocked hat. And that is before you get on to any little quirks...

I would suggest you have a google for F355 valve guide and manifold failure to name but two.

To be fair you don't hear of many Ford engines suffering from bore score either.

Just google F355 for the three-yearly cam belt change requiring an engine drop, and therfore all new fluids (both liquid and gas)

And don't forget the roof of the coupe slowly disconnects itself from the body and you have to routinely re-lead the seam and repaint the C pillar and surrounds.

As mentioned, the Swiss cheese manifolds.

And the rubber-slime buttons and interior trim.

And the self-consumption of the Magnesium wheels (@ £1,900 per corner)

Just some of my favourite things ...

I've just finished rebuilding the engine in my 1988 Audi 90 2.2, it didn't have any bore scoring after almost 30 years so it must be better than my Porsche as well.

I can find a spare if anybody wants to transplant it into their 986 or 996.

:grin:

I did google the cost of a cam belt service GT4 :eek: a 355 won't be on my shopping list any time soon :nooo:

dscf9505rot_large_182.jpg

Is it as funny if you own a 355 :dont know:

mzmini said:
Is it as funny I you own a 355 :dont know:

Probably not... it is more funny for me as I did once own a 355 and am trying to console myself with selling it at a loss for around a third of what it would be worth now. :sad: :frustrated:

A classic from Jalopnik:

If the federal government had owned an F355 in the '60s, they never would've landed on the moon. 'Sorry President Johnson," the head of NASA would say. 'We can't afford it this year because we have to do a belt service on our 355."

:floor:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bristolsparks
Back