Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Car companies are cheating barstewards

Robertb

Well we all think that when we see parts prices, not to mention the emissions scandal, M96/97 IMS etc.

But just for example, the 'angel eyes' parking/side light bulb blew on my BMW X5. It consists of a plastic reflector assembly with the little cheap 10w bulb in that would cost pennies. To replace, you have to buy the whole thing which is £30 all in for the bulb in a plastic mounting with connector. Its at best just very poor design as the bulb could be so easy to remove for want of a small gap in the mounting (I can unclip it from its bayonet fitting but can't get it out of the hole!) at worst a cynical ploy to rip off customers for spares. Cheating gits.

Rant over. :x

You are not wrong in principle, but I believe the light pipes are quite sensitive to source alignment.

You would end up with BMWs with sleep eyes

Robertb said:
Well we all think that when we see parts prices, not to mention the emissions scandal, M96/97 IMS etc.

But just for example, the 'angel eyes' parking/side light bulb blew on my BMW X5. It consists of a plastic reflector assembly with the little cheap 10w bulb in that would cost pennies. To replace, you have to buy the whole thing which is £30 all in for the bulb in a plastic mounting with connector. Its at best just very poor design as the bulb could be so easy to remove for want of a small gap in the mounting (I can unclip it from its bayonet fitting but can't get it out of the hole!) at worst a cynical ploy to rip off customers for spares. Cheating gits.

Rant over. :x

30 quid, could have been much worse!

Think yourself lucky if it had been a Porsche part it would have been £60.00.

Better that than cross eyes!

Yes it was only a small amount and yes I was able to fix it myself without needing to have a main dealer take the front off the car, unlike some.

And don't get me started on Bosch control units which fail and then cost £500-£1000 to replace. FFS.

They're all gits.

Water pump for a Gen 1 997 Turbo OPC Newcastle £540.00

Water pump from Autodoc OEM delivered in 3 days £142.00

And the list goes on!

30quid... You can buy very little at OPC for that kind of money!!!

Got a price recently on replacement brackets for the intercoolers on my 996, £210 for one side and £230 for the other all excl. VAT! Really come on, they are nothing special!

We once had to replace a broken mirror housing, motor unit and auto-dimming glass on an E39 5-Series. That was the best part of a grand back in 2001... The glass in particular is ferociously expensive.

...I think the only car I've run where the parts prices were 'reasonable' was a FIAT Panda.

Just heard of a chap facing a £1,700 bill for a replacement ABS pump/control unit for a BMW 1 series. Absolutely scandalous.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Silage
Back