Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Just failed my MOT, too...

Osh

Paul Ricard
Took the old girl in for her MOT today.

Got a call two hours later - she failed on two things:
- the indicator bulbs are not orange; though they are excatly the same bulbs she's passed on for the last 2 years!
- the drivers (electric) seat isnt working... :pc:

So an auto-sparky is tryin to fix the fault...

Osh

To be fair, orange coloured bulbs do loose their orange coating over time

150px-PY27_7W_lamp_used.JPG

And you can't indicate with white light

When my drivers seat stopped adjusting it was the only time ever in my life that it was 'just a fuse'!

I didnt realise seat adjustment was part of the mot test these days .. think ill check it tomorrow.

Bulbs as GT4 has pointed out loose the orange coating and show white to the rear .. normal as they age .

GT4 said:

That just needs some Lucozade wrapping over it :grin:

Drivers seat (if adjustable) has to move forward and backward and lock in that position. If it's adjustable it has to move if it's fixed it doesn't matter (obviously)....from an Mot point of view certain items if fitted must work.
Even as an Mot tester I constantly have to refresh my knowledge and new requirements. So hope I'm right on the above statement!!
Dave

GT4 said:

Yep - I had a 306 cab fail for 'orange peel' many moons ago.

not sure about the seats, having said that, I seem to remember previous tests on other cars i have had, where I saw the tester moving them back and forwards manually.

bulbs are peanuts.

simple fixes I reckon. :thumb:

Replace with the silver coated ones. Look far better.

alex yates said:
Replace with the silver coated ones. Look far better.
Yup, perfect time to get rid of the orangey look!
Also don't let them charge you ridiculous labour time to change the bulbs because they can't figure out how to get to them... it's a 5 min job and videos on Youtube will show you how to do it.

Palladium said:
not sure about the seats, having said that, I seem to remember previous tests on other cars i have had, where I saw the tester moving them back and forwards manually.

bulbs are peanuts.

simple fixes I reckon. :thumb:

What is annoying is that it shows up as 'fail' on the history, for what are inconsequential faults.

Morning Chaps

well, what a bloody expensive week!

So the seats had to be removed by an auto-electrician and stripped back to find the fault. Seems at some point the wringing got tangled up and has managed to strip and fuse two wires together - this has now been sorted out and at least it will work.

It will now pass its re-booked MOT in the morning...:thumb:

But it doesn't stop there; the switch/sender unit seems to be buggered and will need swapping out. Apparently if you press the forward button it lowers the lumber support, if you press the down button the seat goes backwards. A new switch/sender will be around £350 + VAT (i'm told)...

So, this week, its cost me 6hrs of labour for the sparky, a couple of bulbs, new set of coil packs and two new key fobs plus 6 new spark plugs and filters.... just over a grand all in...ouch!!

£100 worth of Millars Nano next week and a service, then a repaint of the rear PU next month... does it ever end...??

Anyone know where i can source a used seat switch/sender unit....??

Was thinking of going the pub tonight but i can just about afford half a cider at this rate... :eek:

Laters all

£350+VAT, you can get replacement seats off Ebay for less than that.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Camarocane
Back