Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Wheel nuts

toddgibbs123

Hi guys,

Searched and can't find an answer to this (easy) question :-

My car has black 17" cups. I want to return them to the original silver. What are the correct wheel nuts ? are they chrome or steel (or something else)?

Thanks

Todd

I think they are aluminium - ask Chris@Exel.

Black (anodised, I think) Aluminium. Basically made of cheese!

I replaced mine with open steel nuts and covers.

Should they be black or silver? I already have anodized black ones but assumed they should be silver?

Black always, do not resond well to air wrenches. I always take the wheels off the car when tyre fitting is due after an experience on a previous BMW where I needed a 6 foot gas pipe and had to drop the car off the jack with the gas pipe on an axle stand to get the wheels off. They chip easily, corrode easily and aren't cheap it's a pain. Frazerpart supply a socket which is kind to them but I've found it jams on.I use steel nuts on the S2 from Jasmin as it's used on track but they rust. Always use the Castrol anti seize (Design911) which is aluminium based rather than copper based ones, that's pricey too, it's not a big deal but copper next to aluminium or magnesium will cause sacrificial corrosion of the Al or Mg. Never, ever use titanium next to aluminium dry as sure as hell it will bond (bike experience). The Porsche wheels nuts are a special alloy of Aluminium and Titanium iirc.

RobIpswichUK said:
Black (anodised, I think) Aluminium. Basically made of cheese!

I replaced mine with open steel nuts and covers.

What he said.

Standard aluminium are very light, they are also very fragile.

They will be destroyed by windy guns, and don't look too clever after a few manual wheel changes.

What they are really unsuitable for is any spacer application where there is less than 14mm of thread remaining.

The problem with the Swiss-cheese ally ones is they also hide the thread length as you can't see how far you have wound them inside.

The open ended ones are mandated in Motorsport as you can see at a glance if they are done up enough.

(Plus, of course, the steel ones can be tightened much further without ripping the threads out)

I bought mine from Jasmine PorschaLink (= "track day steel wheel nuts, black")

Circa £30 for 20 inc delivery.

- alternatively, if you want the ally ones, I have a set of once used from Exel Wheels (ie Chris put them on once, I drove home removed and fitted the steel ones!)

PM if interested

porsche-black-alloy-track-day-steel-wheel-nuts-set-of-20-911-928-944-964-993-1113-p[ekm]1000x672[ekm].jpg

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
race911turbo
Back