Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

60 minutes of Porsche Ownership

rocket_richard

After about a years search I found the car I have been looking for. It was a silver 2005 997 2S tip. It had an excellent history with a recent engine rebuild at a reputable workshop and a nice low mileage.

After a test drive I struck a good deal including a comprehensive warranty. I collected the car on Monday and I couldn't have been happier, it was the realisation of a childhood dream to own a 911.

However, after 30 miles of steady motoring, there was an unusual rattle noise from the engine and I pulled over only to see a huge puddle of oil all over the road.

I got the car towed to the car to the dealer and they are investigating. Initially they said it was an oil leak from an oil system solenoid, I did mention the dreaded IMS failure.

So, what should I do? Should I walk away with a full refund (Consumer Rights Act 2015) or get the engine rebuilt under warranty? I could end up with a car with a free rebuilt engine and a replacement upgraded IMS.

Any advice appreciated.

What a nightmare for you.

Personally I would return it.

Sorry to hear of your experience, all that excitement to end like that!
I remember picking my first 911 up, I would have been gutted to have it start like this!
I'd return it, plenty of others out there!!

Good luck with what you decide!!

Every new owner's worst nightmare. If you can walk away with a full refund do it, would be my advice.

Feel for you

That was my initial thought too but, after a bit of calming down time and a call to Hartech there is a chance that they could rebuild the engine for me and someone else would foot the bill.

In an ideal world, the best car I could hope for is the one I still own with a Hartech rebuild. I'm expecting a call from the garage on Monday and hopefully some clarity on what they can offer me; currently my position is Hartech or my money back. Is that the best stance to maintain?

rocket_richard said:
That was my initial thought too but, after a bit of calming down time and a call to Hartech there is a chance that they could rebuild the engine for me and someone else would foot the bill.

In an ideal world, the best car I could hope for is the one I still own with a Hartech rebuild. I'm expecting a call from the garage on Monday and hopefully some clarity on what they can offer me; currently my position is Hartech or my money back. Is that the best stance to maintain?

I'm in 100% agreement. Hartech or refund 👍🏼

That's a good position to maintain. 8)

marconorth said:
rocket_richard said:

I'm in 100% agreement. Hartech or refund 👍🏼
Plus 1 and my advice stick to this no compromise!!

If you can get a Hartech rebuild for free = :thumbs:

Anything less and I'd walk away from that particular car. There's plenty of others out there.

Good Luck :thumb: and :welcome: to 911uk

ps.

I can empathise with what you're feeling at the moment. On the day I picked my 996C4 up I came out to find this on my driveway! Fortunately it was only the RMS and I went on to enjoy 3.5 trouble free years.

My oil leak was somewhat different!

And, thank you for the welcome and all the advice so far....

And, sorry the picture is 90 degrees the wrong way.

Attachments

• img_5081_649.jpg
    img_5081_649.jpg
    123.9 KB · Views: 11,030
Walk away, to much hassle. As said there are plenty of good ones available.

rocket_richard said:

I'll be surprised if they sanction a full rebuild but if so, it is certainly an attractive option. Not sure I'd ever trust the car again though.

rocket_richard said:
It had an excellent history with a recent engine rebuild at a reputable workshop and a nice low mileage .

If the rebuild was recent and the workshop reputable I would assume their is some form of warranty that the seller would want to make use of? Personally I would return and look elsewhere not worth the haste there are plenty of nice cars out there.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
race911turbo
Back