Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Turbo exhaust tips

silvermilnec

Hi guys I'm mostly on the 997 forum.
I need some advice on cleaning the carbon from inside my 997 turbo tips. I bought the car in august and I would always clean the exhaust tips obviously the last owner didn't do any detailing! I've had a few goes with all sorts from my kit but still not to my liking! I've just bought a Kline system so the exhaust is coming off but I'm using the original tips. Obviously a great time to get them sorted while they are off. Do I just get them re-chromed, anyone done this?

Cheers guys!!

Hi, no need to re-chrome.

Try Bilt Hamber Autowheel wheel cleaner (or similar) and a little bit of agitation then metal polish to finish or failing that take them off and get them vapour blasted as that won't remove any surface material just the carbon build up.
My 993 tips are being done that way soon. I'll post a before and after when done.

ATB
Bruce

BruceyBonus61 said:
Hi, no need to re-chrome.

Try Bilt Hamber Autowheel wheel cleaner (or similar) and a little bit of agitation then metal polish to finish or failing that take them off and get them vapour blasted as that won't remove any surface material just the carbon build up.
My 993 tips are being done that way soon. I'll post a before and after when done.

ATB
Bruce
Bruce cheers for me he reply! I was hoping not to re-chrome. Could you let me have the details of the vapour blasting company, cheers! Plus love to s e before and after pictures cheers.

Hi, I haven't had time to get them done yet (should do this week) but will put the pics up soon.

Company is G13 powder coating and can be found on Facebook. They are based near Tunbridge Wells so you may want to look at someone closer?

https://www.facebook.com/G13-Powder-Coating-685672794927255/

ATB
Bruce

Here's my 993 tips vapour blasted (Aqua blasting). Not super shiny like chrome but more factory looking.

Attachments

• tips__6_671.jpg
    tips__6_671.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 6,497
  • tips__5_119.jpg
    tips__5_119.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 6,497
  • tips__4_962.jpg
    tips__4_962.jpg
    104.9 KB · Views: 6,497
  • tips__3_198.jpg
    tips__3_198.jpg
    101 KB · Views: 6,497
  • tips__2_189.jpg
    tips__2_189.jpg
    133.1 KB · Views: 6,497
  • tips__1_908.jpg
    tips__1_908.jpg
    117.5 KB · Views: 6,497
silvermilnec said:
Hi guys I'm mostly on the 997 forum.
I need some advice on cleaning the carbon from inside my 997 turbo tips. I bought the car in august and I would always clean the exhaust tips obviously the last owner didn't do any detailing! I've had a few goes with all sorts from my kit but still not to my liking! I've just bought a Kline system so the exhaust is coming off but I'm using the original tips. Obviously a great time to get them sorted while they are off. Do I just get them re-chromed, anyone done this?

Cheers guys!!

Wire wool and autosol worked perfectly for my 997 turbo tips. I am super fussy and this worked great. Now I just use a detail spray after every wash on them and every few mnths have another scrub wih the wire wool. No need to be careful just get stuck in and I did no damage at all to the long lasting finish.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
davey2233
Back