Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

ET on rear Cup2s

Endoman

Albert Park
I have 2 sets of Cup 2s the original ones from my '94 car have a rear ET of 70. The other set have rear ET of 55, were these fitted to WB cars?

I believe 70 offset were fitted to early cars and 55 offset were fitted to all later (possibly varioram) wide and narrow bodies

Not sure on the ET70's mentioned by Windy101, however both my previous WB 2S and my current NB had ET55. The S' were factory fitted with a spacer on the rears. ;)

C.

cableguy said:
Not sure on the ET70's mentioned by Windy101, however both my previous WB 2S and my current NB had ET55. The S' were factory fitted with a spacer on the rears. ;)

C.

I had to look into this issue a while back when I also ended up with a mixture of rear wheel offsets.

Windy is correct for the nb cars. The early ones had an ET70 offset. My late '94 nvr is an ET55 offset.

Does that mean that, for instance, an ET70 will sit 15mm wider than an ET55? Does that mean 30mm wider per pair?

Tobesetc said:
Does that mean that, for instance, an ET70 will sit 15mm wider than an ET55? Does that mean 30mm wider per pair?

No.

The higher the number, the further inside the wheel arch your wheel will sit.

An ET55 Cup 2 for example will look and ride much better than an ET70 version on the same car, as it will sit 15mm further outwards offering better aesthetics/stance as well as giving a wider track.

The offset (ET) has nothing to do with the width or size of the wheel. HTH.

C.

Yes, I understood that it's not related to the width of the wheel.

So the ET number represents the Offset in this diagram? I think I may be learning something!

Attachments

• sstp_1004_03_owheel_offsetmisconception_180.jpg
    sstp_1004_03_owheel_offsetmisconception_180.jpg
    132.6 KB · Views: 3,025
As Cableguy said ET does not equal offset, rather inset. The 55s sit further out than the 70s. It's counter intuitive German logic. Only noticed it when I took the winter wheels /tyres off the S2 to put the track day wheels/tyres on and thought, "Golly they are going to foul the wheel arches". easily sorted as I was using 15mm wheel spacers (944S2 has ET52). Somewhere down the line when I had the wheels refurbished I ended up with someones 55ET rears. Bit late now as it was several months ago but if someone out there has 70 rears instead of 55s they were mine.

Yes, it's definitely counter-intuitive! However, anyone like me trying to understand it can work out the effect from that diagram. You can see from this diagram that moving the offset further right actually pushes the rim back left, and visa versa. Different version of same diagram here:
http://www.rimstyle.com/pages/alloy_wheels_explained.html

I've learnt something this weekend, thanks to 911UK!

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
964Turbo.3.3Mike
Back