Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Cleaning out leaves without removing the front of the car

pjm

Is there a trick to cleaning out the leaves from the outer and centre grilles on a 987 gen 2 without removing the front of the car. The build up does not seem that bad and I was thinking of trying something like a bit of gaffer tape turned around and poked through sticky side out or one of those claw nut retrievers. I have got the Zunsport grilles to fit but want to give it a clean out first.

Hoover.

I use a long, thin after-market extension on a powerful vacuum hose but if you're planning to fit grilles I'd get them cleaned properly first.

You cant see how much grit and stuff has actually accumulated in the nook and crannies and you'd be amazed at how much rubbish there probably is between the engine rads and the air con rads.

Yep, just a long nozzle Hoover attachment.

What ever you do, don't think you can just jet wash it out. There is no escape (the vent channels and rads form a cul-de-sac)

If you do jet wash, it will just compact and embed the sodden, rotting debris (leaves, fag butts and dirt) against and in the rad/condenser matrices.

Best bet is bite the bullet, pull the PU, detach and fully clean, Dinitrol rust proof and fit vent grilles/mesh and refit PU.

I will try to add back the FAQ photos (Virgin Media lost) this weekend.

I have just today fitted the Zunsport grills to my 987.1 as it goes. They want reshaping to get a decent fit, so I will try again over the weekend. Also will require cable ties to really get a nice fit sadly.

Anyways, I plan to remove the bumper in the Spring for a proper clean up down there. In the interim, I didn't want to whack the grills on without removing as much crud as possible.

That said, the Dyson attachment goes no where near deep enough into the ducts. So I made my own extension using paper, laminator plastic and paper clips. Works a treat and got a surprising amount of gunk out. But of course, it doesn't remove the stuff from between the rads.

Attachments

• hoover_160.jpg
    hoover_160.jpg
    535.9 KB · Views: 6,157
A Camberwell Carrot, no less!

But seriously, my Dyson has a hose, so I just poked the nozzle and some of the hose in there (perhaps the Aero PU has different aperture size?)

And I thought I was the only person to get all Blue Peter on this! Ha ha

GT4 said:
A Camberwell Carrot, no less!

Jeeez......it's a while since I smoked one of them. My mate used to do some serious cones........proper loud hailer style!

That's my second generation Extension too, first one was overcome by the vacuum created by the Dyson and the tube would collapse. The second generation has paper clip ribbing for my pleasure.

P.s. Just realised what a 'Camberwell Carrot' is!

:grin:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Atlas.997
Back