Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

X51 but no carbon fibre box...

nodstar

Monza
Whilst passing the time on auto trader I came across this car:

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201612130563724

It is advertised as having the X51 pack, it does have the intake manifold but the carbon fibre air box is missing. This got me wondering how do you end up with a car that has X51 but no CF airbox :?:

1) sold it when times got hard
2) melt it and used it to cover the centre console
3) traded it for the turbo rims
4) maybe it did not fit with that deck lid (current one looks scratched) but would you get rid of the CF box for that?

Marc

I want to see the VIL

Possibly after-market (the rear fixed wing aero does not have the required snorkel mating gasket either)

Front grilles indicate a willingness to mod

In any case, I doubt it's putting out the full 9 yards, as it is one snorkel down!

84542d1130474409-new-997-with-x51-power-kit-dsc_0081.jpg

Attachments

• img_7574_123.jpg
    img_7574_123.jpg
    262.9 KB · Views: 9,307
I would be asking to see a photo of the build spec panel on the car and make sure X51 was one of the build codes and that its not just a modded S The decklid does have the twin intake but the snorkel and CF box are gone thats 2k to replace. which is no big deal if its a genuine build X51 but you need to be very sure. If it was an S with an Aero kit there would only be one air intake so something is off with the car and I as you cannot see why someone would remove the cf X51 airbox :thumb:

the decklid looks aftermarket for sure so its unlikely that its a factory fitted aero kit or even an OPC fitted one
Which would make it look toppy for what it is

Hi Marc,
I think it's this car...

http://www.porscheshop.co.uk/bcatal...ect_customers_cars_tom_okelly_porsche_911.php

I met the original owner once at a PCGB track day, very nice fellow.

He had owned the car from new and had specced it with the X51 kit but when I saw the car its airbox had been swapped for a K&N kit (I also distinctly remember that tasteful Sahara Beige interior).

He a lot of modifications done as per the link, including the aerokit and the turbo brakes with 6-pot front calipers.

He called the car 'the Beast', posted about it a bit on the PCGB forum. I think he sold it some years ago and moved on to a new 997.2 Turbo S.

A bit sad to see it's lost its original airbox. Much as I like the idea of melting down to form the centre console (and nifty gear knob), I'd want to add a couple of new options

5) still sitting in first or second owners garage
6) nicked and then sold on by the outfit that did the K&N kit for the original owner

:bandit:

Phil 997 said:
I would be asking to see a photo of the build spec panel on the car

Just FYI - that is what a VIL is (Vehicle Identification Label)

tims1959 said:
Hi Marc,
I think it's this car...

http://www.porscheshop.co.uk/bcatal...ect_customers_cars_tom_okelly_porsche_911.php

I met the original owner once at a PCGB track day, very nice fellow.

He had owned the car from new and had specced it with the X51 kit but when I saw the car its airbox had been swapped for a K&N kit (I also distinctly remember that tasteful Sahara Beige interior).

He a lot of modifications done as per the link, including the aerokit and the turbo brakes with 6-pot front calipers.

He called the car 'the Beast', posted about it a bit on the PCGB forum. I think he sold it some years ago and moved on to a new 997.2 Turbo S.

A bit sad to see it's lost its original airbox. Much as I like the idea of melting down to form the centre console (and nifty gear knob), I'd want to add a couple of new options

5) still sitting in first or second owners garage
6) nicked and then sold on by the outfit that did the K&N kit for the original owner

:bandit:

Ah, so the mod is the aero, not the powerkit.

Shame he seems to have mislaid (sold?) the X51 twin-snorkels.

... especially after mapping it etc and then throttles the intake :duh:

If anyone really cares the history of K&N filter replacing X51 airbox then fitting of aerokit is all here...

http://www.porscheshop.co.uk/bcatal...omers_cars_tom_okelly_porsche_911_stage_2.php

How the subsequent fitting of the non-X51 airbox came about is anyone's guess but it can't be worse than that K&N thing complete with hairnet.

But who cares about these niceties when according to the people selling the car now, it 'comes with' twelve wheels (eight 19" and four 17"):

This car comes with
X51 Power Upgrade, Sports Exhaust, *19in Turbo Wheel*, Bose Sound System, Sports Chrono Package Plus, Cruise Control, Telephone Module For PCM, Auto Dimming Interior/Exterior Mirrors/Rain Sensor, Powerkit Carrera S Package, Short Shifter, PCM Navigation Module, Climate Control, In Car Entertainment (Radio/CD/MP3), Tinted Glass, *Alloy Wheels (17in)*, Upholstery Leather, Alarm, Computer, Electric Windows (Front), *19in Carrera S Alloy Wheels*

Plenty of grip then :grin:

I'd always want to see the production badge to nake sure it was a genuine x51. Thats the moneyshot..

The carbon fibre airbox is a pretty feature for sure, although not sure how much better it is.

tims1959 said:
If anyone really cares the history of K&N filter replacing X51 airbox then fitting of aerokit is all here...

http://www.porscheshop.co.uk/bcatal...omers_cars_tom_okelly_porsche_911_stage_2.php

How the subsequent fitting of the non-X51 airbox came about is anyone's guess but it can't be worse than that K&N thing complete with hairnet.

But who cares about these niceties when according to the people selling the car now, it 'comes with' twelve wheels (eight 19" and four 17"):

This car comes with
X51 Power Upgrade, Sports Exhaust, *19in Turbo Wheel*, Bose Sound System, Sports Chrono Package Plus, Cruise Control, Telephone Module For PCM, Auto Dimming Interior/Exterior Mirrors/Rain Sensor, Powerkit Carrera S Package, Short Shifter, PCM Navigation Module, Climate Control, In Car Entertainment (Radio/CD/MP3), Tinted Glass, *Alloy Wheels (17in)*, Upholstery Leather, Alarm, Computer, Electric Windows (Front), *19in Carrera S Alloy Wheels*

Plenty of grip then :grin:

I am impressed, :worship: not only can you provide photos of the build process but you have also met the previous owner. So it sounds like it is a car that has had a lot of money spent on it but has since had the K&N removed, a non X51 air box added and then given to a dealer that has no idea about the basics. 12 wheels indeed :floor:

The factory build spec won't necessarily confirm it's an X51 car as the power kit was available as a main dealer retrofit. A good way to check is to look underneath at the exhaust manifolds. Ordinary cars are 3 into 1 whereas the X51 cars have collector type manifolds (similar in appearance to the 996 manifolds).

Still, it's a travesty to have ditched that Carbon airbox in favour of a K&N set up. Porsche invested a tot in improving the airflow for that engine to get the extra power, doubt K&N had the same resources. Now running a stock airbox and with a new Carbon one now costing over 3K that car is pretty compromised. Think it would have been better to consider a ducktail spoiler from RPM instead. The one they do for the gen 2 997 has two snorkel intakes so should work much better.

It would need more than that to confirm.

But we can see from here it has the cast ally intake manifolds and 3rd centre rad.

Which are just as much proof.

However, I think tims1959 has settled it :dont know:

For anyone interested in the X51 features, have read here:

http://911uk.com/viewtopic.php?t=60293

PS - the MA1 (Gen2) airbox is not compatible with the M97 (Gen1) block.

Interestingly, the Gen2 airbox is so good, it is not changed for the X51 install (although a full-house cost option X51 does include a CF airbox body for your money, the X51-standard GTS foregoes the CF for looks, but there is no functional difference)

This got me thinking. A new carbon airbox is £2780 plus vat from Porsche as a standalone item (part number 997.110.925.00). But the full gen 1 X51 powerkit is still available - if you already have the sports exhaust then the rest of the kit costs £5228 plus vat (not including fitting). For that you get the heads, manifolds, airbox, inlet manifold, third radiator kit etc etc. But the part number for the carbon airbox in the full kit is slightly different - 997.110.025.00, and against it the price is 'only' £1281 plus vat.
So if you ever find yourself in the position of needing a new carbon airbox it might worth asking your main dealer to try and order the part number of the box from the kit, if successful that's a saving of over 50% on the RRP of the standalone one.

One other thing, according to the brochure Porsche would only retrofit the powerkit to 3.8L cars built after 08/2005. So anything from before that date would not be a pukka X51 car regardless of what the ads might suggest.

May I quote you on that X51 summary thread?

Of course. See the attachments for verification - the text is from the 2007 Tequipment brochure (so 2007 prices) and the screen shot is from the Porsche system (current prices, excluding fitting).

Attachments

• powerkit_1_329.jpg
    powerkit_1_329.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 9,086
  • powerkit_2_176.jpg
    powerkit_2_176.jpg
    104.6 KB · Views: 9,086

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member