Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

My 2014 981 Boxster GTS

jonttt

So a few events aligned over the past week that resulted in my purchase today of a 2014 Porsche Boxster GTS.

I had been contemplating buying a convertible for about 6 months and I knew that my choice in the market this side of supercar status would be a 981 boxster and in particular a gen 1 2012-2016 car. In simple terms I just think it is the best looking convertible on the market alongside the well established market leading driving experience. I was not interested in a 981 gen 2 car (Porsche decided to call it a 718 :roll: ) due to the forced induction / 4 cylinder engines :hand:

However by the end of the summer I had resigned myself to the fact that I could not justify another car. I already had a convertible, albeit in storage and I have access to plenty of exotica when I need it. With SWMBO due a new car I decided the best compromise was to get her a sporty SUV that I would also enjoy driving. a Macan GTS was ordered for Feb build / Mar delivery. The problem was she hated it (I got a loaner for a day after order) and I was being stupid / selfish getting a car that was not suitable for her just for me to drive occassionally. So order cancelled, more suitable car ordered.

At the same time I was contacted out of the blue by a car collector who wanted to purchase my Roadster. It was not for sale and I had no intentions of selling it but...... everything has a price and truth be told I was offered a number of bags that was stupid and I simply could not refuse. Despite this it took me two days to realise I could not refuse, I love that car :sad:

So by the alignment of the stars both obstacles to my purchasing a boxster where removed in the same week, one self inflicted ie get a sporty pram, the other fate ie selling my roadster.

So I was back on the case.

Now I had my finger on the market to last November so was pretty much up to speed. I new what I wanted on my tick list:

- S 3.4 model
- PDK
- Sport Chrono
- sports steering wheel with paddles
- PASM
- Sports exhaust
- "dual climate" (the most confusing name ever, its just full climate rather than the default simple AC)
- the right colour (black, white, carmine red, GT Silver)
- black interior

Needless to say I knew I would not get all but S, colour, PDK, sport chrono, PASM, sport exhaust where a must for me.

Try getting one of those, I am convinced they don't exist. To be fair I just missed out on one very close but it had a dubious interior colour and in any event sold within a day as it had been underpriced for the spec probably due to the colour.

More and more my attention was drawn to the one car which was guaranteed to have the base spec I wanted, the GTS. However I had set myself a price point last summer which excluded them and half the fun was in me finding the spec I wanted even if that took months.

However when my search renewed this week and I searched the regular classified I was disheartened by what was on offer, nothing came close :pc:

So after a particularly frustrating day of business reviews I drove home and had the Fkuc it moment, you only live once. Selling the roady was fate was it not :?:

I had resisted looking for GTS's so excitedly browsed that evening and one car stood out straight away. Now I am not a religious person, I believe in fate. I believe that with patience the right car will come along and that feeling hit me straight away. Firstly the price was right (surprisingly so), the seller was right (OPC) and the options list, oh the options list, my holey grail car and some.

So today I did a 6 hour round trip and the deal was done in 30 minutes :thumb:

It is a great feeling to know you have bought the "right car". No worries about compromise, etc..... just every box ticked.

So what exactly have I bought....

2014 (Oct) 981 Boxster GTS
10,400 ish miles (just ran in :) )
White
PDK

Lots of spec is standard on the GTS but most importantly, sport chrono, PASM (with dynamic engine / transmission mounts) and sport exhaust (retuned for the GTS)

What options does it have:

- GTS package (carmine GTS pack + carbon pack) £2,015
- Exterior package black (gloss black parts which are really set off on the white) £680
- PDK £2,351
- Seat Heating £284
- Cruise control £267
- Dual Climate ie full climate rather than standard AC £518
- Park assist front & rear £599
- PCM 3 (bluetooth telephone) £446
- Sat Nav £2,141
- Digital Radio £324
- Online services (internet AHA Radio app) £122
- Electronic door mirrors (retractable on close) £203
- auto dimming mirrors and rain sensor £332
- Wheel in Platinum £503
- Full colour wheel centres £110
- Vehicle key painted in body colour £170

Original cost of the car was therefore:

Base Price £52,879
Options £11,866

Total £64,745

I'll not go into details about the deal that was struck but needless to say it was much better than I thought I would get especially given I perceived it to have a very good listed price. The deal does however include full porsche warranty until September 2019 (ie nearly 3 years :grin:) and a full professional detail at a local well known detailer.

The cars history is that it was specced (very well) by OPC Sheffield and sold as used within 1 week of delivery, back in October 2014. It was then traded in August 2016 and purchased by a well known client who purchased it as a stop gap for his mother pending a December delivery of a Macan GTS (how ironic!).

On inspecting the car I noticed immediately it had paint protection film fitted (very well). That gave me a great start feeling with the car and it was obvious it had been well looked after. The first owner spent >£1,500 protecting the paintwork a sure sign of someone who cares about their cars.

I took some quick snaps once the deal was done (did not want to appear too keen until then :wink: )...

Frustratingly I have a manic weekend and it would be pushing it to get the detail done so the plan is to pick it up next Wednesday. I have to travel to the south of London for a few days so train to pick the car up and drive the rest of the way and I'll have a few days to explore the car. I'm staying in a rural located spa hotel so plenty of unknown B roads to explore at night and then I'll probably head back home early on Friday and do the return trip via the Welsh hills :thumb:

Oh, if your not familiar with what a boxster GTS sounds like this video is well worth a watch :worship:

..... its almost as good as my 993

and another....

Was cycling behind one of these the other day (he was in a 30), very nice indeed!

Enjoy in good health!

nice, that's a cracker of a motor! congrats on your purchase!

OPC looks familiar and my experience with them was very good even when I had a niggle with the PSE and clutch oil that they sorted no questions. :thumb:

Great purchase, and a really superb car to call your own !. Btw, that video
really does show anyone out there who's not familiar with the GTS, what a
thrill it is to drive fast....that exhaust and engine rasp is absolutely intoxicatingly. 8)

Yes I got a good feel from the OPC and the SE I dealt with. We had a good honest discussion, cards on the table after about 15 min once I knew the car was right and a deal was done without any nonsense.

I did get the usual sales pitch from the finance guy but he was a lancashire lad and sussed out within 1 minute I was not interested in finance, gap Insurance etc..... I did go for the detail on the grounds it was done outside the OPC (turns out they use the same outfit I had in mind) and it cost me a lot less than they wanted. I would have quite enjoyed doing it myself but I'll be putting bit of mileage on it before I get it home so may as well get it done for the right price pre getting it dirty.

PS for those interested it was OPC Leicester and they had some very nice stock including a very mint 964 which had just sold.

nick w said:
Great purchase, and a really superb car to call your own !. Btw, that video
really does show anyone out there who's not familiar with the GTS, what a
thrill it is to drive fast....that exhaust and engine rasp is absolutely intoxicatingly. 8)

My plan is to do more fun driving this year, I can see a few early morning darts to the EVO on the cards, with a bonus through 1 mile of enclosed empty mersey tunnel :thumb:

Nice one 👍👍

Obviously I'm biased but the BGTS is a truly wonderful car.

The sound of that engine is intoxicating and as you say it's not the same as an S. The cracks and pops you can generate on down changes are just epic.

Apparently it has some additional tubes that allow more of the engine noise into the cockpit too.

At some point in the future more folk will cotton onto to this car as one of Porsche's finest and they will be snapped up.

Tim :)

I'd hazard a guess that you could run one for a year, put 8-10kmon on the
clock, and should you wish to pass it on to the next lucky owner, you'd be
likely to get what you originally paid for it... :thumb:

Jonttt buys a Boxster after my recommendation. :eek:
My work here is done.
digger.gif

nick w said:
I'd hazard a guess that you could run one for a year, put 8-10kmon on the
clock, and should you wish to pass it on to the next lucky owner, you'd be
likely to get what you originally paid for it... :thumb:

If you want some hard logic I reckon I can run this car for a year for very little:

- it does not need a service until August 2018 (981 are 2 year / 20,000 miles)
- it has full Porsche warranty until October 2019
- it needs an MOT in October 2017
- all tyres are between 7mm and 6mm (checked with a gauge)
- Insurance costs me £0 as I wack it on the company policy (no benefit in kind as the premium does not change)
- I have a company fuel card
- I think / hope its potentially an iconic car that is more than the sum of its parts so values will hold well
- I got it for a steal IMHO
- it has the "right" spec IMHO
- the opportunity cost of the funds not sat in the bank is very little (the bank give me sod all interest)

= cheap car :grin:

Zingari said:
Jonttt buys a Boxster after my recommendation. :eek:
My work here is done.
digger.gif

:floor:

I just need to see you in a mexico blue one, now that would be a picture :thumb:

ps I'll buy the hair gel :grin:

Congratulations on the car Jon, it look absolutely stunning!
That bumper on the front and the huge mouths look menacing.
We must meet up for a dual PSE 'experiment' in a crowded area sometime :grin:
:thumb:

michelin said:
Congratulations on the car Jon, it look absolutely stunning!
That bumper on the front and the huge mouths look menacing.
We must meet up for a dual PSE 'experiment' in a crowded area sometime :grin:
:thumb:

I've done around Castle / Dale street on a quite sunday with some exotica and the engine noise off the buildings is quite something :grin:

I'm not on facebook but I think they still have car meets at the chinese on the waterfront every so often put on facebook. I've meet Zingari there and hope to make some this year if they are still going.

browsing the DVLA to source a totally random plate for the car, did not expect to find much but.......

will be on the car :thumb:

controversial I know to some but its a bit of cheap fun

ps I can't believe that plate was available, imagine the fun when I try to sell it on here :floor:

I'm up for 'Cars and Coffee' down at the river :thumb:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
qdunrpvcxsty
Back