Welcome to 911UK
The only place for Porsche, 911uk is the definitive enthusiast and resource site for the Porsche 911.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so join up today for full access to the site and benefit from latest member offers.

Porsche Classifieds
Porsche Buyers Guides
Sell Your Porsche on 911uk
Create a Free Classified Advert
Search Ads
Classified Adverts FAQ
Trade Classified Information
Buyer & Seller Fraud Protection
Pre Purchase Inspection (PPI)
Porsche Car Sourcing
Porsche Cars Wanted
Model
Stock
Porsche 911
991 : 2011- 8
997 : 2004- 71
996 : 1997-2005 44
993 : 1993-1998 10
964 : 1989-1993 5
Carrera 3.2 : 1983-1989 1
Carrera SC : 1977-1983 0
930 Turbo : 1975-1989 0
Early 911 : 1964-1977 2
Porsche Other Models
Classic : 1950-1965 1
Boxster : 1997- 14
Cayman : 2005- 13
Cayenne : 2003- 10
Macan : 2014- 2
Panamera : 2009- 3
912-914-924-928-944-968 4
959 - CarreraGT - RaceCar 1
Car Parts For Sale & Wanted
Other Items For Sale & Wanted
Wheels Tyres For Sale & Wanted
Number Plates For Sale Wanted

Porsche Services
Porsche Body Shop Repair
Paint Protection & Body Wrapping
Porsche Classic Insurance
Porsche Classic Parts
Porsche Classic Restoration
Porsche Design Collection
Porsche Engine Gearbox Rebuild
Porsche Heritage & History
Porsche News
Porsche Picture Gallery
Win a New Porsche 911

Porsche Parts
Body Parts, Body Styling
Brakes, Clearance
Electrical, Exhausts
Engine Cooling, Engine Electrical
Engine Rebuild, Heating Cooling
Interior Incar, Lighting
Rubber Seals, Service Parts
Steering, Suspension
Transmission, Workshop Tools
Early 911, 911 - 930, 928 - 968
964 - 993, 996 - 997, Boxster
Cayman, Cayenne, Panamera

Porsche Model Range
911 [991] 2011-Current
Porsche 911 [991]
911 [997] 2004-Current
Porsche 911 [997]
911 [GT] GT1-GT2-GT3
Porsche 911 [GT]
911 [996] 1997-2005
Porsche 911 [996]
911 [993] 1993-1998
Porsche 911 [993]
911 [RS] RS-RSR
Porsche 911 [RS]
911 [964] 1989-1993
Porsche 911 [964]
911 3.2 1983-1989
Porsche 911 3.2 Carrera
911 SC 1977-1983
Porsche 911 SC
911 [Early] 1964-1977
Porsche 911 [Early]
Boxster & Cayman
Porsche Boxster & Cayman
Cayenne & Panamera
Porsche Cayenne & Panamera

911uk Site Partners

The return of Marty Wild
Imola

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A mate whacked some on his 997 and they didn't require any holes. On the original Cayman, they are supposed to be held in place with a self tapping screw that goes into original plastic.

I didn't bother with that, I just used a small cable tie to hold mine in place. My grills are black so a black cable tie is pretty inconspicuous. In the Spring I'm going to remove the front bumper for a Spring Clean of the rads, I figure then, I'll be able to get a cable tie onto the grills even more subtly.

Made an extension for my Dyson to remove as much cr4p as I could before putting the grills on.

Cayman S 987.1

isysman
Zolder

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If ever been swaying back and forth between a 981 Boxster and a Macan and was starting to feel the Macan was winning (possibly because I'm in the US driving a huge GMC Arcadia to the Shipyard each morning). However after seeing these photos I'm thinking I'm going to have to get a GTS.

Last edited by isysman on Tue Feb 14, 2017 6:22 pm; edited 1 time in total

tim993
Shanghai

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

isysman wrote:
If ever been saying back and forth between a 981 Boxster and a Macan and was starting to feel the Macan was winning (possibly because I'm in the US driving a huge GMC Arcadia to the Shipyard each morning). However after seeing these photos I'm thinking I'm going to have to get a GTS.

He he - this was exact same first world dilemma back in 2015 😀

BGTS won👍

What didn't help was the 'crazy to me' system of separate queues for each Macan model, so if you change your mind and decide you want a turbo or the n/a petrol cars then you lose your slot in the queue you started in and go to the back of the queue for the other one. Maybe it makes sense to someone, but frankly not to me!

1995 993 turbo
2015 981 GTS

jonttt
Reims

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think they are a combination of push fittings and brackets. There are no screws in the kit.

1997 Porsche 911 993 C4S My Journal
2014 Porsche Boxster GTS My Journal
2017 BMW 740e Msport
2017 RR Evoque Autobiography

jonttt
Reims

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was not going to drive the GTS for a week or so due to work / golf holiday but..... today I got a spare hour. It was freezing but the sky was blue so I thought why not, my first ride with roof down......

So heated seats on, woolly hat, climate on hot and off I set.

I had a fantastic hour taking the coast road to Southport, some great overtaking points in lightish traffic.

Well I have not had as much fun in a car for a long time. The car just feels so light and small compared to what I'm used to nowadays and gives so much confidence in its ability. To be frank I was a driving god today, that's how good the car was. The speed off the line caught me out a couple of times snapping me back in the seat, awesome.

I won't go on about the sound again but ahhhhhhhhhhh sublime.

On the return trip I found myself braking late just to get the PDK short shifting down the gears with that sublime overrun and blip of the throttle, very addictive.

Its a long time since I've driven a convertible in the winter, what great fun.

And to prove the roof has at least been down for pics, I took this when back home just before trying out the remote close...

2017 BMW 740e Msport

The return of Marty Wild
Imola

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds amazing, I've just come back form the mainland, way too cold for roof down tom foolery.

Cayman S 987.1

jonttt
Reims

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So a combination of holiday and working away meant that I'd not really had chance to drive the car on my local roads to get to know it...... well that changed last weekend.

One thing that has really surprised me driving around is that amount of attention the car gets. I'm lucky enough to drive plenty of exotica and there are different types of attention. As always Porsche is on the pleasant side but the Boxster just gets more than I was expecting. I think its a combination of the noise, which has people noticeably turning around to see what coming and the looks which keeps their attention (my default is Sports and PSE on)

I took the opportunity of a free weekend to drive the car as much as I could. I also managed a quick visit to a local car meet on the Liverpool waterfront. The fact I had told SWMBO I was just nipping to my office which was nearby meant I could not stay long. Not many porsche classics present as the weather was still wintery but still some nice pork on show including a 991 GT3RS and 996 GT2 .....

2017 BMW 740e Msport

mohitos
Barcelona

1995 Porsche 993 Carrera 2

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lovely car Jonttt. I'm amazed you parted with your beloved Z3M roadster though. I know everything has a price, but won't you miss her?

jonttt
Reims

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep I do, it was irreplaceable but it had become an investment car and not one to be driven. I did not plan to sell it but when it happened it made the decision to get a convertible I could actually drive all the more justifiable.

Last week I did Liverpool to Glasgow and Liverpool to Sussex in the RR and it was so nice at the weekend to get behind the wheel of the Boxster despite the crap weather and just drive a total contrast for the fun of it. I think it will become a true weekend car in the sense that I will actually drive it at weekends no matter what the weather. Its then equally great to get behind the wheel of the RR again for the motorway slogs. Best of both worlds and I'm so pleased with the car Thumb

I just need to figure out now where the 993 fits into my plans this year Dont know

2017 BMW 740e Msport

mohitos
Barcelona

1995 Porsche 993 Carrera 2

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Uh oh, now it's sounding like the 993 is on the ropes too!

I do get where you're coming from. Hobby cars are a lovely thing, but you need time make to use them. And finding time for two is twice as hard. Without use the bond gets lost and you start wondering why.

With a new daily, as you've said, you can enjoy carefree in all weather.

jonttt
Reims

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No the 993 is not on the ropes, I just need to decide will I actually drive it or do I move it to my underground storage Question

2017 BMW 740e Msport

Benjs
Montreal

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks incredible. I have to say I don't have the noise (either engine or PSE) but I have to agree I've had more comments about the 981 in a week than I had about the 997 in a year

jonttt
Reims

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 981 is such a good looking car Thumb

2017 BMW 740e Msport

isysman
Zolder

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice to see the car getting used. I'm hoping to get to the Cars & Coffee in the summer when my car is completed.

jonttt
Reims

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would be great to see it in the flesh Wink

2017 BMW 740e Msport

jonttt
Reims

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The sun was out for a few hours yesturday and so the boxster was out with the roof down and no requirement for a wooly hat this time Cool

We had arranged to meet some friends for a late lunch so I took the opportunity to set off early in the boxster and for SWMBO and little SWMBO to follow in the family pram.

It turned Sport Plus on Surprised

OMG, how can you possibly buy a PDK and NOT have Sports Chrono nooo

It totally transforms the character of the car from a "fast car" to a full on road going sports car. What an adventure I had on familiar back roads that where dry. The brutal yet composed manner of the power delivery, the weighting of the steering (yes its electronic without the direct feel of the wheels through the rack but in this package that just makes the car feel more assured not less), I had the back end dancing to my tune in no time, much quicker than it would normally take me to get the feel of a car. I found myself breaker later with confidence on familiar roads with an alarming degree of certainty within 30 minutes of pushing the car to find its limits.

PASM is just sublime, the balance of comfort and composure when called on its just astonishing. I would love to try one with the sports suspension and it really leaves me wondering what PTV would bring to the party, if it can add to the driving experience then worship

Did I mention the noise Hand

No you can't really drive in Sport Plus in traffic, the car just holds onto the gears for too long, the noise is too much with every slight lift of the throttle resulting in a crescendo of overrun that is just absurd ........ its so much fun but ultimately results in it being switched to "just" sport mode when the car settles markedly, the noise becomes just an addictive rumble.

The icing on the cake was after lunch, my friend happens to be a petrol head of the old school, he was into cars long before he could afford to pay for his dreams but has now is a well establish Ferrari fan. His current toy is a gorgeous 488 scuderia. He has never done "porsche" but he could not believe how gorgeous look of the GTS. His first words in the car park where "it looks like a little ferrari". Now that may not be a compliment to Porsche die hards but the fact was it sparked his interest. We where going back to theirs for coffee and asked if he could sit in, I threw him the keys and said you may as well drive. There was no messing around, he started it up and I put it in Sports Plus, he just looked at me and said "wow". We both laughed.

It had started raining by this point so no roof down but he knows his way around a track and is no miss daisy on the road, the couple of miles back to his house where enough for him to turn the car off and just sit there looking over the interior, "very very nice" was enough for me to hear.

Yesturday just confirmed that the car is everything I want it to be.

2017 BMW 740e Msport

jonttt
Reims

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had arranged to leave the boxster with Chester OPC for a couple of days so they could hard reset the Tracker system (under warranty) as Vodaphone could not "see" it.

I got the "dreaded" phone call after a couple of hours ....... during the health check......... they found that one of the front rad fans was not working. "Probably" stones that need removing and they wanted c£75 to "fix" it. My first reaction was to tell them to sod off but then I thought sod it, I'll get them to sort it. Will incentivise me to get the Zunsport grills fitted this weekend.

How big a job would this have been on the GTS ? Ramp make it easier or just fishing around by hand ?

Of course whilst I was there I had a good mooch around. The had a high spec (£20k of options) new 2.0 718 in the showroom so had a sit in to remind myself now I am more familiar with the 981........ it is a very familiar place to sit now. But what's with the new placement of the sport plus buttons on the steering wheel ? First it just seems wrong to have the blank buttons on the central dash and then when pressing it so cheap and flimsy. It felt like a fisher price part stuck on. I guess its trying to emulate the system on the Ferrari's but they are solid and very precise, a real feel of quality, the complete opposite. The whole "pod" flexes as you press the buttons and not in a good way.

On a better note I got a brand new (<100 miles on the clock) KN Diesel S with a good spec to play with for a couple of days. The design is showing its age, especially inside, the interior felt not as refined compared to even the boxster and definitely compared to the Macan. I guess my benchmark is my FFRR but they are aimed at a different market so I don't expect it to be as refined, obviously a lot sportier. The diesel lag caught me out a couple of time on tight bends (well I had to give it a blast) with a shocking delay off boost and I just can't get to grip with a 5K red line on a "sports" car lol Hopefully the new model due out will up its game Wink

2017 BMW 740e Msport

The return of Marty Wild
Imola

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Always a pleasure to catch up on this thread. Boxster season in earnest seems not too far off now!

Cayman S 987.1

jonttt
Reims

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have now driven through the Mersey tunnel with the roof down in sport plus mode, now renamed Krackan mode....... it spits fire Grin

17 degrees, I spent the day thrashing a brand new KN, over to Range Rover Chester to check SWMBO new car to be collected on Sunday and over to Porsche to get my boxster back. The turbo lag on the KN was doing my head in nooo I simply could never spec a diesel. I bet the petrol is fun though. A few of the guys at RR came out to have a look at it and one thing that shocked us all was how small it seemed compared to the FFRR. I just remember the KN being "bigger" than it is. But soooo glad to get back in the boxster, roof down before I even got in it and even the porsche wash bay guys said "nice car" which given the metal they clean is always pleasing, of course I set off in Sport plus to make the departure and event Grin

I'm planning a run out tonight roof down just for the hell of it. Its been a while since I've done that in a car Bandit

2017 BMW 740e Msport

The return of Marty Wild
Imola

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haha, pictures and videos of any jaunts always welcomed!

Cayman S 987.1

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 4 of 8

Jump to: