Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Plate, Paint or Powder coat

Endoman

Albert Park
A topic done to death no doubt but just wanted a few opinions.
New fan arrived today (Rose Passion) with new voltage regulator (Frazerpart). I'm doing the housing satin black, keeping the fan as is with a heavy duty wax polish. Should I plate the straps to give a cadmium type finish or paint/pc black. Undecided as to paint or pc the housing. I've seen both done with excellent results. There are a few horror stories about powder coating magnesium but plenty with none.

How about colour coding the strap to either match the housing (black) or the fan?

Strongly recommend you paint, I had oxidation problems with powder coating fan.

Attachments

• fan_powder_fail_cu_167.jpg
    fan_powder_fail_cu_167.jpg
    22.5 KB · Views: 2,471
  • fan_powder_fail_195.jpg
    fan_powder_fail_195.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 2,471
Endoman said:
A topic done to death no doubt but just wanted a few opinions.
New fan arrived today (Rose Passion) with new voltage regulator (Frazerpart). I'm doing the housing satin black, keeping the fan as is with a heavy duty wax polish. Should I plate the straps to give a cadmium type finish or paint/pc black. Undecided as to paint or pc the housing. I've seen both done with excellent results. There are a few horror stories about powder coating magnesium but plenty with none.

I'd say paint myself, are you doing yourself?, if so how will you prep it?, quick rub down or get it blasted?, also would you use an etch primer?.

I'll be doing my own shortly so be interested :)

Trev

Just doing the housing and strap I have local contacts who have done jobs on mates cars so I won't be doing it myself. The powder coater is at Longton not far from you C-T. There are some good painters locally that did my mate Dave's housing. Check out the Anniversery Carrera in Bolton OPC showroon and it's baby. The plater is in an alchemist's lair in Farnworth. After looking at that manky fan I'll get it painted.
The new fan came complete with bearing which I just popped out as I'm using an RS pulley. So if anyone needs one there's one going gratis.

Endoman said:
Just doing the housing and strap I have local contacts who have done jobs on mates cars so I won't be doing it myself. The powder coater is at Longton not far from you C-T. There are some good painters locally that did my mate Dave's housing. Check out the Anniversery Carrera in Bolton OPC showroon and it's baby. The plater is in an alchemist's lair in Farnworth. After looking at that manky fan I'll get it painted.
The new fan came complete with bearing which I just popped out as I'm using an RS pulley. So if anyone needs one there's one going gratis.

Can I please have?

Trev

Endoman said:
The powder coater is at Longton not far from you C-T. There are some good painters locally that did my mate Dave's housing. Check out the Anniversery Carrera in Bolton OPC showroon and it's baby..

Yes I've been admiring that car recently :), way too many visits to Ian in parts :)

Trev

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gpc
Back