Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

How to remove a GT3 engine.

Cunno

The next time your engine builder tells you it takes 6hrs to remove an engine, show them this, 6mins done :grin:

Very informative thanks for posting :thumb:

Enjoyed that, cheers for posting Jon :thumb:

Very interesting.

Anyone feel kinda scared watching that in case the engine just drops out on the guys?

I wonder whether in the field there are instances of the engine falling/falling off the engine stands one removed, etc.

It really is an easy job on a 911, just takes time because of all the different componenets, lots of things just unplug or unclip. I've got mine out from the car on axles stands a few times in the past. A ramp would be luxury.

Nice! I wouldnt have hesitated to try that when I was younger but these days I barely remember what day of the week it is, so wouldnt dare attempt something like that now.

I'll stick to changing the engine oil and filter. The rest I'll leave to the experts.

Having 3 independent, not connected and moveable jacks on wheels holding the engine in the air :eek:
Only takes a tap and then you've got £40k engine dropped onto the floor.

FZP said:
Having 3 independent, not connected and moveable jacks on wheels holding the engine in the air :eek:
Only takes a tap and then you've got £40k engine dropped onto the floor.

It did seem a strange choice. Watching it I was thinking of Ed China formerly from Wheeler Dealers always dropping engines by lowering onto a very large and very robust looking wheeled tool chest with the lift prior to disconnecting the mounts and the setup that I have seen at OPCs where they basically have a secondary lift under one end of their bays specifically for dropping engines. A trolley jack and a couple of transmission stands on wheeled trays did look comparatively Heath-Robinson...

Everything has to be viewed in perspective though - people who do jobs as a matter of routine can turn them around surprisingly quickly. I once had to have a centre radiator replaced at Manthey at the end of a day shortly before they closed. They were done in 45 minutes (including draining it down, swapping in a new rad {which they naturally had one of on the shelves}, putting it all back together, refilling, checking the car over, the test drive and me paying and being on my way). A typical main dealer wouldn't even have got it into the workshop and on to a lift that soon after arrival...

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smiggles772
Back