Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

scottish or coastal cars

Palladium

would buying one, from these locations put you off?

due to high road salt or salt air, you read about people who wouldn't, others who say its all down to how its cleaned and looked after and its not a problem.

i suppose all of the uk is a salt zone in the winter, some more than others.

i seem to remember seeing lots of highly corroded cars in Newquay, cornwall, when my dad lived there.

Yes, it would put me off. BUT, it may be car dependant. For example, many Scots, wanting a used 4x4, will buy an English car,preferably from as far south as possible. This is purely because a Scottish car of the same age will be much rustier ,much sooner. Purely down the climate and environment.

It's down to individual vehicles I suppose but when I was looking for 5/6 year old Disco 3 all the rust free examples were Southern........some of the Highland examples were very rusty for 5 year old cars with full dealer history.

my sc started its life in Scotland, the floors etc are really solid, it doesn't appear to be any worse than many others I have seen, suspension components and brake fittings were rotted, but I have replaced those now, maybe sports cars are kept inside more so don't get as much exposure in the winter.

out of 34 years, its had the last 15 in England.

It's all baloney as you never know a cars history. My Dad's car does more miles in France than the UK, although it's registered to an address in rainy Lancashire.

rust

Being a Scottish resident with a 23 year old 993,if I was to try and sell it I would be disappointed if it's location put prospective purchasers off. As it has spent the first 20 years of its life in Surrey,Kent/France and Durham with 4 owners. The last 3 years in Scotland it has been tucked up from Oct to April! I would avoid a car from a coastal town more than a Scottish car!

I'd say it was a consideration prior to inspection. But as always, I'd buy subject to condition.

Down right xenophobic if you ask me!!!! :x :grin:

alex yates said:
Down right xenophobic if you ask me!!!! :x :grin:

He he, my wife's from Kirkintilloch :hand:

When I bought my car, Tom 911v said they no longer buy cars from Scotland. Of course, individual circumstances are more important than generalisation.

Stands to reason that cars from the northern limits of the UK experience a tougher time of it though.

That said, my Mum lives in Eastbourne and the amount of salt I've seen on the roads down there!

How do you know when your the 6th owner where the first 3 owners lived?

(unless you have receipts with addresses on)

It is complete tosh. My porsche is Jersey from new, which is inclined to be a bit coastal, and has spent most of its life roaring around in France and germany. No signs of rust so far!
Rick

mixed views really, as I say, mines a jock car originally, but who knows, it could have been a garage queen, anyway, its all academic, as I have been out in mine today in the pouring rain, soaked right through, its why I bought it, tomorrow, its a dry day, so I will belt it up and down the motorway to dry it out.

cant wait for the warm weather, these old air-cooleds love to steam up.

Funnily enough, I travelled all the way down to RSJ to buy mine which turned out to be previously owned in Inverness!
Either way, it is pretty much mint underneath, & in my case, it only comes out in unsalted roads!

If anyone decided they weren't going to buy it because of where it lived, then that would be their loss.

We have a deliberate policy of trying to buy cars that have spent their lives in dryer, milder parts of the U.K.
But overall condition and fully documented history are the overriding deciding factors.
We live in Glasgow and our most recent cars have come from Essex (987), Central London(996 Cab.) and the Cotswolds (996 Coupe).

I traveled throughout the whole of the U.K. searching for each one in turn and although I did see several in Scotland that may have fitted the bill the combination of condition/price/history made English cars seem a better overall package.
My preference for cars that have been used on a regular basis and not being scared of the higher mileages that this will result in seems to mean that many of the cars I viewed in Scotland were very low mileage `Garage Queens` that were only taken out on dry runs and, in my opinion, had an inflated value beyond their worth.
Often this type of car has a much reduced service and maintenance history with owners preferring to service in accordance with mileage rather than time.
Possibly the wider choice and more competitive market conditions in England also make vehicles more competitive in terms of price and condition too.
Anyway those are my preferences and they have served us very well.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
golfguy11800
Back