Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

iPhone 6 to PCM3 on 2011 987 Gen 2 Boxster no Aux BT

pjm

Picked up my first Porsche yesterday. Very impressed. I have managed to connect my iPhone 6 to the PCM3 but cannot get Aux BT to show up so I can stream from the phone. Followed the manual put a disc in the CD player and activated Aux but Aux BT is not showing up. Have I missed a step when I initially connected the phone? I don't really want to go down the route of having wires trailing back to the arm rest sockets if I can avoid it.

Streaming bluetooth audio doesn't work on the PCM 3.0 system in the 987.2/997.2 I am afraid (only works with PCM 3.1 from the 991 onwards). You will either have to do it with wires or get a third party widget (someone on another thread on here last year recommended one of these http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/201570198455?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT as a solution, though I haven't tried it personally as I just plug it in via the Apple 30 pin to lightening adaptor and leave it in the centre console as I don't have an oversized phone that won't fit).

Seems odd that the earlier PCM units can be updated but PCM 3 not. Does it not update the firmware if I have the maps updated or is that not possible either?

pjm said:
Seems odd that the earlier PCM units can be updated but PCM 3 not. Does it not update the firmware if I have the maps updated or is that not possible either?
It's a hardware update from 3.0 to 3.1. 3.1 us what you get jn the 991.The 3.0 hardware doesn't have AD2P to be able to do what it is you're looking for. It's a well worn path that your walking down unfortunately.

Cracked it !!

Here is the solution I have got to work. I ordered the Y lead from DESIGN 911 UK from the link on the accessories page. £38.66 delivered. Expensive for a short lead and three connectors but beyond my soldering skills. Anyway superfast delivery. I ordered a 30pin to lightning convertor but I know they are notoriously hit and miss. I then looked for the Tune2Air WMA1000 as mentioned in the above post but it seems they have moved on to updated versions without the 30pin connector and apart from 89$ on ebay plus postage and possible customs I could not find one. I then came across the JUSTOP BTR004 Bluetooth Receiver on Amazon for the princely sum of £8.99. I thought it would be too good to be true at that price but at that price delivered I splashed out. It arrived today. It is really meant for old powered speaker docks made redundant by the Apple plug change. I took the Y lead and the JUSTOP around to the car and it went straight in and connected to my iPhone 6 no problem. The source appears as Aux but if you turn the phone up and the volume up on the PCM there it was working a treat. Tried it with the iPlayer Radio APP, audible for my books and both played perfectly. I tried the phone and it worked perfectly and then straight back to the audio book that was playing when I ended the call.

I haven't tried exploring from the PCM but in theory as it is coming in via the Y lead it should be fine. Cheap solution to an irritating issue of no reasonable upgrade path.

The alternative would be an expensive upgrade unit and I would lose the full integration of the PCM. The JUSTOP measures about 35 x 40mm so sits neatly in the armrest cubby hole. I noticed it stayed on with the car off so I unplugged the USB plug and it was off. Does the USB port switch off after a period with the ignition off?

Final question is it possible to set the default volume at a higher level for Aux on the PCM?

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Atlas.997
Back