Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

MissFire - Now worse

SamUK

Montreal
Following on from my Dyno result and code readings of 2 cylinder miss fires..

Missfire was were random and would only happen occasionally.

I picked up bosh plugs and Beru coils..

Had these fitted this afternoon

Old plugs was told were seized and coils were knackered - almost like both had never been changed.

Drove off, car seemed to be pulling harder (maybe little rough but i cant be 100% sure) - however when i got on the motorway i found the miss-fire at 1200rpm is happening in 3rd, 4th, 5th and 6th gear all the time near that rev range.

CEL light did not come out

I did call them back, and they said to come back in the morning.

Any ideas on what or why the issue would have got worse with new plugs and coils.

Sam

I suspect they cleared the fault codes which reset the adaptions .

That would be fine if the fault was the plugs/coils but if it wasn,t then the car would run a lot worse untill it adapts again.

Could be faulty parts fitted , could also be a cam sensor left unplugged ( sometimes its easier to unpug it to change the rear coil) .

If the misfires are all on one bank then hi lift solinoid is possibly faulty .

EDIT ..

Actually after thinking about it .. im pretty sure you have a single cyl misfire .. either a coil has come unplugged or a single plug/coil is faulty .

Get it back there tomorrow if you can. Did they diagnose the car before changing coils and plugs or just dive straight in to the job?

Hope you get it sorted soon and you luck changes :thumb:

Sorry to hear your continuing woes Sam! Obviously you need to ensure that none of the plugs or coils are faulty but I would assume that this is relatively unlikely.

Your symptoms sound similar to mine, I have an intermittent misfire that seems to be related to my poor condition coils as this is only evident when it is raining. Otherwise I have quite poor running that is down to the dual air intake I have fitted. I can't call it a misfire, more a stutter or a hesitation when accelerating around 1200 - 1500 revs in all gears, then again around 5000 - 5500 revs but this time appears to be only when accelerating relatively hard.I can only put this down to the freer flowing filter set up and the ECU not being able to adapt, hence the need for a remap!!

The problem we have is finding someone who is trustworthy that knows what they are doing and able to remap to suit!

I really feel for you Sam.

You have to get the car back there tomorrow and hopefully it's a simple fix.

Long term you need to locate a trustworthy and respected Indy unless you can DIY and let them go through the car and draw up a todo list that you can prioritise and work through quietly .

I wish you all the best.,

think i need to consolidate my posts into one :floor:

Thanks..though yes good with spanners just little cold out there..and the 997s are new to me..

hoping its a simple fix...as it has goten worse since the plugs and coil packs gone in..

Rob. how do you drive your car the way it is..? i find it a right pain..specially when in higher gears cruising at a steady speed.

Sam more pain mate, but keep going hopefully its an easy fix now and once car is all sorted and you keep on top of maintenance you should have a better run of luck

SamUK said:
think i need to consolidate my posts into one :floor:

Thanks..though yes good with spanners just little cold out there..and the 997s are new to me..

hoping its a simple fix...as it has goten worse since the plugs and coil packs gone in..

Rob. how do you drive your car the way it is..? i find it a right pain..specially when in higher gears cruising at a steady speed.

Well I'm not driving it in the rain in the moment that's for sure! Luckily I have a daily drive so it's not getting much use at the moment anyway. Taking it relatively easy when I do! Mine is ok at a steady pace, just when accelerating throughout the flat spots, the harder I accelerate the harsher the stutter seems to be!

Adding to one of Demorts suggestions - I remember changing my plugs and coil packs a few years ago and found I immediately had a bad misfire, it turned out I hadn't pushed on one of the connectors to the coil pack properly.

Its quite likely it could be this - check that first!

Noted this morning the oil level was low i had filled up oil before i left London Tuesday night...then remembered the Chain Tensioner Washer was changed yesterday and they said some oil was lost but they did top up...maybe not enough.. :? done near 60 miles since the work. personally think not enough was put in.

Well im here...took an hour to to get here..through some painfull traffic! have pins and needles in my foot from the clutch!

There initial thoughts are they may need to do a leak down test - though i did suggest afew of the things mentioned, coil packs maybe loose or something has come disconnected.. they said highly unlikely...as clips hold them in..

Car has just been road tested and gone onto the ramp...check everything then test do leaks tests to find if its a bigger issue

So fingers crossed...

Good luck mate. Ninemeister have a good reputation so you're in good hands.

2 hours...till cant find the issue,.

they said plugs have oil on them.but i asked him and the guy working on the car yesterday..they plugs removed they said had no oil on it..

then 1L of oil usage they are saying is high in 1200 miles - however before this was acceptable for the age of the car...

they done a leak test...,said my cylinders are loosing about 10% per cylinder @ 80psi...

i think i see were this is going!

All cylinders? Thats odd if so. Maybe 1 or 2. Which could lead to having scored bores and a piston out of kilter which could explain the poor dyno results :? And the excessive oil usage.

In the same position, id say thanks for the work and go straight to hartech to find a way out of this mess.

Agree can't be all cylinders! Not a good situation to be in but I think you are in safe hands there. As I said yesterday did you fill them in with all the info you posted on here during the first visit or did you just ask them to change the coils and plugs?
It does sound like a serious issue here but all you can do is go with it I'm afraid and see what they suggest. Deffo speak to hartech. An engine build is a big hit, trust me! Like many on here I have first hand experience!

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DD77
Back