Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Oil Sampling & Analysis

crash7

Imola
Given the reputation of the M96 to lunch itself, does / has anyone have their used engine oil analysed to determine if there are metal particular present, which could indicate wear / future failure.

http://www.theoillab.co.uk/product-category/oil-testing/engine/

The basic cost is £30

I appreciate once you have the data you need to decipher it and perhaps do it regularly to trend changes, however an initial conversation with them suggests they do basic analysis for you highlighting areas of concern and what they may mean based on the findings. i.e xxx partials of xxx could suggest bearing wear.

Be interested to hear any first hand experience.

I've never had it done but now I've seen the price I think I will. Not sure if it was Wheeler dealers or Car SOS that visited Millers and done a piece on it.

Poppopbangbang does it and it warned him a crankshaft bearing (I think it was) was on its way out.

There's the other school of thought that says if you go looking for trouble you might find it. Ignorance is bliss sometimes...... but given these engines it would be better to catch things early.

When mine comes out of winter hibernation for a service I am going to get it done. - I Will post the results.

I too appreciate ignorance is bliss, but given the catastrophic nature of M96 fails and the associated costs I would rather be able to plan for it and have the engine taken apart in a controlled manor - £30 in the whole scheme of things seems a small price to pay.

We use them at work when we survey a used boat. It can turn up all sorts of issues - and equally let you know all is well.

Thanks for the link, because you posted it I ordered a basic kit from the oil lab. Sent sample in and got results emailed back 1 week later and thats from continental Europe.

Anyway, both my 6000 mile old 5w-40 Shell Helix Ultra and the 117k mile original engine ('99 3.4) are in excellent health apparently. The oil sure doesn't look like it though! About to change it anyway.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
briant1000
Back