Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Strange situation: old 911s are uninsurable in Dubai

MaxA

Magny-Cours
The Insurance market is a bit odd out here: you can't insure a car more than 10 years old on a fully comprehensive policy, you can only get third party cover.

So there's a beautiful, properly maintained, Guards Red air cooled 993 Carrera with a wide body, tan interior, tiptronic, etc. just sitting in the workshop as the owner is a bit too scared to drive it. I guess he'd take any reasonable offer, as it's effectively obsolete.

The same logic applies to my colleague: he has a 997.1 3.6 twin turbo tiptronic in meteor grey, with nut brown interior, aero kit, totally standard, from 2008 and it will soon be uninsurable.

I just thought, it's a strange world. And I suppose if you're interested in LHD 911s, I can always put you in touch.
:dont know:

I guess similar situation in KSA, Max. There are no older prestige cars on the roads here either. LHD 997.2 GT3s were going for £40k with less than 20k miles but I believe JZM bought them all up and exported them to Europe to be sold for twice the cost. Kicking myself now......

~ Maxie :frustrated:

I'd take out third party Insurance and drive carefully happy in the knowledge that if I pranged another car at least it's covered.

My advice to the 993 owner would be to use it or sell it. If the 997 Turbo owner was to try and sell I suspect he'd get peanuts so he might as well keep it and use it too.

Palladium said:
why would it be obsolete? just drive really carefully.

Exactly - I was in Dubai for 3 years and I had a 993 Targa which I even paid to strip back to bare metal and repaint, I only had 3 party Insurance but I drove it to work on a regular basis and enjoyed thrashing at around the UAE at weekends and even on a couple of trips to Oman with the Porsche CLub.

The car is now in the UK waiting my eventual return at which point I plan to thrash it around Europe and the French Alps!

Attachments

• 7_122.jpg
    7_122.jpg
    169.5 KB · Views: 5,417
With straight roads and sand either side there's not much that could go wrong, right?

Remember the flood of Japanese imports that hit the UK some years back? Im sure that was due to no second hand car market and cars being obsolete after 10years of age leaving MX5s, Pajeros and people carriers in abundance.

I don't plan on ever selling my car. It makes sense to keep it and enjoy it. I will be looking to migrate to various countries including the middle east and Sri lanka. The only issue is that in sri lanka you aren't allowed to import cars older than 5 years old. I am looking at options of trying to import it as a classic car. Does anybody know if there are age restrictions on taking a car to the middle east?

Ursa911 said:
With straight roads and sand either side there's not much that could go wrong, right?

It's not the roads and the sand that I'm scared of, it's the other drivers.

Although I do get a little scared when I come across a sand drift on the other side of the roundabout at 100kmh. And roads with the standard random issue speedbumps.

But mainly it's the other drivers: the buses, minibuses, school buses, coaches, lorries, articulated lorries, vans, pick ups, nutters in tiny Nissans, not to mention, locals, Indians, Saudis, the yummy-mummies, and the expats.

These guys think nothing of 'the Dubai swerve': straight across six or seven lanes of traffic to exit the motorway. Or the mobile chicane artists, pretending like they're 'fast and furious' in a car chase. Or the dudes reversing back up the motorway. Or the energy savers 'running black' without lights at night. Conversely the big SUVs running high beams brighter than the sun. Or the tailgaters intent on checking what radio station you're tuned into. Not to mention the serious indicators, indicating left for a couple of kilometres while turning right. And the undertakers using the hard shoulder. And the perpetual lane-straddlers (is he? isn't he?).

And the pedestrians and cyclists. Especially the ones with a death wish trying to cross a six lane motorway. :x :nooo:

And to think back in Blighty we're complaining about pot holes and people who don't indicate :frustrated:

Max is right, Dubai is a mare, especially the main drag that is SZR, the only way to survive it is to go a little bit faster than everyone else. My wife never grasped that argument.

As for buying ex Saudi cars.....you'd need to be brave or ensure you've got a solid warranty. Not saying all ME based Arabs don't look after their cars, but probably true of 99% of them. Kidding....sort of.

Very tough environment for cars though.

MaxA said:
It's not the roads and the sand that I'm scared of, it's the other drivers.

Although I do get a little scared when I come across a sand drift on the other side of the roundabout at 100kmh. And roads with the standard random issue speedbumps.

But mainly it's the other drivers: the buses, minibuses, school buses, coaches, lorries, articulated lorries, vans, pick ups, nutters in tiny Nissans, not to mention, locals, Indians, Saudis, the yummy-mummies, and the expats.

These guys think nothing of 'the Dubai swerve': straight across six or seven lanes of traffic to exit the motorway. Or the mobile chicane artists, pretending like they're 'fast and furious' in a car chase. Or the dudes reversing back up the motorway. Or the energy savers 'running black' without lights at night. Conversely the big SUVs running high beams brighter than the sun. Or the tailgaters intent on checking what radio station you're tuned into. Not to mention the serious indicators, indicating left for a couple of kilometres while turning right. And the undertakers using the hard shoulder. And the perpetual lane-straddlers (is he? isn't he?).

And the pedestrians and cyclists. Especially the ones with a death wish trying to cross a six lane motorway. :x :nooo:
Ditto Saudi Arabia! I guess it's like this all over the Gulf.

~ Maxie :bandit:

Ursa911 said:
And to think back in Blighty we're complaining about pot holes and people who don't indicate :frustrated:

Thanks. That made me feel better after a bit of a rant.

I forgot to mention the dawdlers who think it's OK to do 75kmh in the lane next to 'the fast lane', and the berks who don't bother to look left for low flying 911s when pulling out of a junction at a solid 15-20kmh. From behind a lorry that is already sort of half way towards not quite pulling out...

It's like Sniff Petrol said about something else (a Renault maybe?), driving in Dubai is sometimes like having an excrement festival in your undertrousers.

This reminds me, I need some new brake pads, discs, lines and probably fluid.

The Gulf

MaxA

Almost perfect description of driving in the UAE, but you missed the bit about queuing at junctions or at roundabouts where there are say 2 lanes to go into and 5 cars pushing for it or the fact that if you get a speeding fine or an impounded car, you can just pay it off and carry on.

Also right about how many don't seem to look after cars - why bother if you can buy another without much of a dent in your bank account. My Targa (18 yrs old when I bought it) had full service history in Lebanon for 7 years then no service history after that during which period it appeared in Dubai!

There are however some pretty good roads to drive on and enjoy once you get out of town.

Re: The Gulf

2oldn2slow said:
MaxA

Almost perfect description of driving in the UAE, but you missed the bit about queuing at junctions or at roundabouts where there are say 2 lanes to go into and 5 cars pushing for it or the fact that if you get a speeding fine or an impounded car, you can just pay it off and carry on.

Also right about how many don't seem to look after cars - why bother if you can buy another without much of a dent in your bank account. My Targa (18 yrs old when I bought it) had full service history in Lebanon for 7 years then no service history after that during which period it appeared in Dubai!

There are however some pretty good roads to drive on and enjoy once you get out of town.

Indeed. There are many many forms of driving frustration out here, including the one where someone hits you, and then calls the police to complain that you rammed them. Or simply blocking the road by double/triple/quadruple parking at prayer time. And as you say, lane discipline is an oxymoron out here, especially in the merger situation.

I also forgot what the Americans call "the Detroit 'gators" - big bloody chunks of tyre, and other hazards that need to be actively avoided: the random lumps of wood, steel brackets, polystyrene sheets, buckets, rags, shoes, water bottles, pipes, lost wheels, and severed limbs. Usually when you're travelling at high speed.

Re: The Gulf

MaxA said:
I also forgot what the Americans call "the Detroit 'gators" - big bloody chunks of tyre, and other hazards that need to be actively avoided: the random lumps of wood, steel brackets, polystyrene sheets, buckets, rags, shoes, water bottles, pipes, lost wheels, and severed limbs. Usually when you're travelling at high speed.

Seems the Arabs are the wealthy cousin of North Kent's finest Pikeys who dump their ***** down the country lanes (think sofas, black bags, usually a mattress and half ton 6ft wide 3ft high mountain of shrubbery and branches).

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DD77
Back