Welcome to 911UK
The only place for Porsche, 911uk is the definitive enthusiast and resource site for the Porsche 911.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so join up today for full access to the site and benefit from latest member offers.

Porsche Classifieds
Porsche Buyers Guides
Sell Your Porsche on 911uk
Create a Free Classified Advert
Search Ads
Classified Adverts FAQ
Trade Classified Information
Buyer & Seller Fraud Protection
Consumer Rights Act
Pre Purchase Inspection (PPI)
Porsche Car Sourcing
Porsche Cars Wanted
Official Porsche Centre Reviews
Model
Stock
Porsche 911
991 : 2011- 22
997 : 2004- 84
996 : 1997-2005 40
993 : 1993-1998 6
964 : 1989-1993 2
Carrera 3.2 : 1983-1989 0
Carrera SC : 1977-1983 2
930 Turbo : 1975-1989 0
Early 911 : 1964-1977 3
Porsche Other Models
Classic : 1950-1965 0
Boxster : 1997- 13
Cayman : 2005- 14
Cayenne : 2003- 6
Macan : 2014- 0
Panamera : 2009- 1
912-914-924-928-944-968 0
959 - CarreraGT - RaceCar 1
Car Parts For Sale & Wanted
Other Items For Sale & Wanted
Wheels Tyres For Sale & Wanted
Number Plates For Sale Wanted

Porsche Services
Porsche Body Shop Repair
Paint Protection & Wrapping
Porsche Classic Insurance
Porsche Classic Parts
Porsche Classic Restoration
Porsche Design Collection
Porsche Engine Gearbox Rebuild
Porsche Heritage & History
Porsche News
Porsche Picture Gallery
Win a New Porsche 911

Porsche Parts
Body Parts, Body Styling
Brakes, Clearance
Electrical, Exhausts
Engine Cooling, Engine Electrical
Engine Rebuild, Heating Cooling
Interior Incar, Lighting
Rubber Seals, Service Parts
Steering, Suspension
Transmission, Workshop Tools
Early 911, 911 - 930, 928 - 968
964 - 993, 996 - 997, Boxster
Cayman, Cayenne, Panamera

Porsche Model Range
911 [991] 2011-Current
Porsche 911 [991]
911 [997] 2004-Current
Porsche 911 [997]
911 [GT] GT1-GT2-GT3
Porsche 911 [GT]
911 [996] 1997-2005
Porsche 911 [996]
911 [993] 1993-1998
Porsche 911 [993]
911 [RS] RS-RSR
Porsche 911 [RS]
911 [964] 1989-1993
Porsche 911 [964]
911 3.2 1983-1989
Porsche 911 3.2 Carrera
911 SC 1977-1983
Porsche 911 SC
911 [Early] 1964-1977
Porsche 911 [Early]
Boxster & Cayman
Porsche Boxster & Cayman
Cayenne & Panamera
Porsche Cayenne & Panamera

911uk Site Partners

Marky911
Kyalami

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good work EG. Thumb

Like you say it's nice knowing you've been in and nipped it in the bud early.

Marky911
Kyalami

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hurray! The car is back home. Gearbox guy had the box for 11 weeks. Grin
Very happy with the price though and it’s perfect now, no more whining.

So Craig and I made the trip down to Jamie’s yesterday morning. He’d had a big push to get it done for me and like the gearbox price, Jamie has really done me a favour costs wise. Car is looking a bit dusty and sorry for itself but no big deal. Jamie was going to wash it but it was going to get filthy on the 70 mile trip home. -

A couple of loose ends to report on before I tie up this round of work -

I opted for a new standard bush for the box, before it went in.

Gearbox guy fitted it along with everything else. The box was stripped, inspected and any necessary parts replaced. Basically every bearing and seal, including the diff taper bearings. Thanks for the heads-up on those Rich. Thumb
Box of old bits here. -

One other fault that Jamie spotted is below. Can you see what it is camouflaging itself? -

Cleaned off.
Plug not fitted properly. Has been weeping oil for who knows how long. -

Removed -

New one installed -

So that’s about it. Car dropped off last October and just collected yesterday. I don’t mind though as it would be off the road anyway, it frees up my garage and Jamie always does me a great deal as he can do it as and when.

The stamp for the service which was for 2017 has filled the original service book. 18 stamps and the car was 19 years old last year, so one is missing. Rolling Eyes
It turns out the last owner didn’t get it done in 2014.
The car only covered 3400 miles between ’13 and ’15 but still, it should have had a minor service for the stamp. That’s going to play with my OCD. Grin

So anyway, I have a new book (In the background) to start next time. -

So now it’s time to think about bodywork and aerokit etc. I want everything done by May, which sounds easy but there’s a lot to do to get the car how I want, including caliper refurb, strip and paint rear arches.
Plus Craig's Ohlins are due any day now, so we'll be doing that first as well as some fences and prep work for the guys to get started on my back garden. Busy busy.

My split rim refurb turned into a bit of a nightmare with the diamond cutting.
Situation resolved now though so they are ready for tyres and will go on last.

Anyway, boring update but it rounds off the mechanicals. Thumb

Last edited by Marky911 on Wed Apr 18, 2018 8:09 am; edited 1 time in total

Dammit
Kyalami

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad to hear the wheel situation is sorted - I know what you mean when you say it's going to be a struggle to get everything done in that period, it always takes longer than you think.

Marky911
Kyalami

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, all sorted thankfully Neil. Always happens to me.

When is yours due back?

Dammit
Kyalami

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now that's a good question, things started off very well with updates being emailed over, then there was nothing for a week, a couple of my emails went unanswered and now I don't know what's happening, other than the painter wasn't happy with it so wanted to redo something- don't know what he wanted to redo, or how long its going to take him.

Roof and seats can't be done until the painter releases the car, and the roof guy doesn't know when that's likely to happen, so right now - in limbo.

Marky911
Kyalami

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah right, I'd read about the painter wanting to perfect a few things. That's a good sign though. At least they're not one of those places that waits until you spot it. Wink

I'm sure it will all fall into place. I look forward to seeing it done. It will boost my efforts on mine. Thumb

coullstar
Suzuka

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good stuff. Out of site out of mind I suppose.

Marky911
Kyalami

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers C, glad I can get stuck in now.

I've just seen your new wheels. Nice. Cool

Marky911
Kyalami

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Definitely the last mention of this round of work, but I'd forgotten to stick it in. I mentioned it in Wasz' thread though so will record it here.

When Jamie removed my tensioners one of them didn't have much resistance as he undone it, so he had a look once it was out and found this.
Good one on left, mine on right.

Porsche have changed the design of these now and the new ones are only compatible with newer style tensioner pads, which can only be fitted during a rebuild. Luckily Jamie had an original style one in his spares.

I didn't think it would make any difference to anything but guess what?
No more chain rattle on cold starts! I was never bothered by this as some cars do it, some don't but anyway it's gone.

Next update will be a fresh project, I promise. Wink

Last edited by Marky911 on Wed Apr 18, 2018 8:10 am; edited 1 time in total

EGTE
Imola

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great stuff and no need to apologise; it's all very interesting! Thumb

HSC911
Zolder

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EGTE wrote:
Great stuff and no need to apologise; it's all very interesting! Thumb

Yeah

g911omr
Monza

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting about the tensioners. My car has slight chain rattle for about a second (probably even less than that)if it has been stood for a few days. Is changing them a straightforward job?

Marky911
Kyalami

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks lads. Thumb

g911 - The tensioners themselves simply unscrew like a large bolt, however you must lock your timing first.

Our resident winter Olympian Wasz, spent a freezing cold weekend on his and has a great thread running covering his work and in particular the locking of the cams etc. -

http://911uk.com/viewtopic.php?t=124928&start=80

Changing a tensioner may get rid of your rattle or you could waste time and money for nothing.
My Indy looks after a 996 still with its original owner and it has done the start up rattle since new. It had a load of work at Porsche during its early days but they couldn't get it to disappear. It's still fine though all these years later.
If you ever get the chance, listen to a 996 GT3 do a cold start. They sound positively knackered. Grin
If you can source some good used tensioners then it's not a big job for an Indy to fit them for you, but I wouldn't worry.
I'd never have chased my rattle but my Indy happened to stumble upon the weak tensioner. Thumb

g911omr
Monza

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers.

I'll most probably ignore it then. It's just one of those little things that is annoying rather than worrying. I've had the car since last summer and not driven it much. I'm going to make a real effort to put on some miles this year.
Smile

Marky911
Kyalami

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You and me both. No point having them as garage ornaments. Thumb

Marky911
Kyalami

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quick boring update before the fun starts.

I say fun, but that usually means something that starts out as fun whilst planning and gathering the parts, quickly followed by stress as it goes terribly pear-shaped, followed by eventually sorting it out and being able to enjoy the results. Wink

So yesterday was MOT time. I’d had it booked for a couple of weeks, so despite the snow I had to go. Will elaborate in a moment.

The local digger guys worked hard over Friday and Saturday to open the roads to civilisation.

Luckily my car was at Craig’s (as we’d been fitting his Ohlins to his car at mine over two weekends) and his house is nearer the MOT place anyway, hence I only had to plough through any remaining snow drifts in my old Volvo, not the 996.

I arrived for the MOT on time and it went without issue. (So it should I’ve only done 380 miles since the last one! Pathetic. Very Happy )

One advisory left from last year, the front drop link. Bit annoying as I have a mint used set to fit asap, as well as a brand new set for when I do a massive suspension overhaul next winter.
Anyway, we couldn’t get it fitted due to the snow so nevermind.

Next year will be zero advisories though. Very Happy

As I’ve said, I couldn’t cancel the mot as it runs out this month and the car is going to be pretty much off the road but still needs to be road legal, to take it to and from places.

It’s bodywork time!

Booked in on Monday 19th March, with a great local lad. He’s very reasonably priced but does a cracking job and enjoys working on anything a bit different or special.

So I have two weekends to strip the car. We haven’t decided how far to go yet, as it was originally both front wings, door catch areas and wing mirror covers.
That is snowballing now though because as with any 20 year old car still wearing its original paint, you can find fault with every panel if you want to. Things such as minor tiny chips etc.

We’ll get it stripped and take it from there. I’d love it brought back to perfect, but then I’ll get all precious, so I’m aiming for “Good enough to park in a show (but not compete), but not so perfect I don’t want to use it as intended”.
Then if I still have it in 10 or 20 years time I’ll do an all singing, all dancing restoration.

I’ve hopefully got my dent guy coming out next week to get out as many of the small imperfections as he can before paint, as you want to be putting as little filler on a car as possible. I had him out when I bought it 2 years ago but have spotted a couple more tiny ones since then.

Anyway, exciting but slightly dubious times ahead.
I have never been 100% happy with any paint work I’ve had done on any car.

That’s the nature of refinishing though, you are always going to be able to spot things if you know what you’re looking at, short of a full bare shell rebuild.
I’ve had work off my guy before though and it is usually superb.

Here comes the next headache then. Wish me luck. Grin

Oh, and in other news, because Craig now has his Ohlins, his "as new" KWV3's are now mine. Mwuhahahaha! Very Happy

Last edited by Marky911 on Wed Apr 18, 2018 8:11 am; edited 1 time in total

coullstar
Suzuka

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds good, paint will be the very last thing I do. KW's sounds good, have them on the RS4 and they are very good.

Marky911
Kyalami

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep C, I'd usually leave all the cosmetics until last, but I want the car looking how I want by May. To be honest it's pretty much all cosmetics now anyway, apart from suspension.

I think I'll just chuck the KWs on for summer then do the whole lot properly in winter.
And yes KWs are great. Craig's car drove amazingly well anyway. I'll be interested to see just how much the Ohlins actually improve things.

Thumb

Marky911
Kyalami

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nothing much to report at the moment. Car is at the body shop. I got it back but wasn't happy with a couple of defects I found when building it back up.
Painter is great usually and agrees it isn't upto standard so he's doing it again.

Collection number 2 next weekend. Fingers crossed.

So what's the point of this post?

Well I was going to wait until I cover my interior as a whole project but I've just received some pics from the guy re-trimming my GT3 replica seats and I'm very happy. Finally at least one job on the car that has gone right. Grin

He couldn't match the grain perfectly, despite scouring all his sample files but they're pretty damn close and a massive improvement over black which simply wouldn't have worked in my grey interior.

So these were as I bought them. Black leather -

Now -

They were done by Simon at Hide N Seat. Top lad and top quality work.
More pics of mine and all the other work he's done, on his Facebook page.
He's also retrimming my handbrake grip and gear lever in black alcantara to match my cup wheel. I should say wannabe Cup wheel as I couldn't part with £550 for the Porsche one so I've purchased a standard momo 07. Apart from the litttle Porsche script engraved on the genuine one they are identical. Not similar, identical.

So other than this it'll be slow progress for a while. I have pretty much all parts to get the car how I want for this year. That includes interior parts, Craig's KWV3s, discs, pads, caliper rebuild parts etc. Oh and GT3 kit and wheels obviously. My wheels are freshly refurbished and stunning.

First is to get the car back though but then it may sit for a few weeks until I get my garden finished. I had landscapers booked but couldn't bear to part with the money so I've roped Craig in and we are doing it. The money I save will buy me a motorbike. I've had the itch badly lately even though I thought I was over them.

So next update won't be soon.
Good luck to everyone else who's frantically tinkering away to be ready for summer. It's almost here. Thumb

Last edited by Marky911 on Wed Jun 06, 2018 6:17 pm; edited 1 time in total

HSC911
Zolder

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marky911 wrote:
The money I save will buy me a motorbike. I've had the itch badly lately even though I thought I was over them.

Jesus, I thought me and Plynchy were blood brothers...but f**k me, I need a bike back in my life too Sad

I got grey interior too...I am going to try black seats as I think they will stand out more...just the driver seat so the kids can still get in though Thumb

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 15, 16, 17  Next
Page 8 of 17

Jump to: