Welcome to 911UK
The only place for Porsche, 911uk is the definitive enthusiast and resource site for the Porsche 911.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so join up today for full access to the site and benefit from latest member offers.

Porsche Classifieds
Sell Your Porsche on 911uk
Create a Free Classified Advert
Search Ads
Classified Adverts FAQ
Trade Classified Information
Buyer & Seller Fraud Protection
Consumer Rights Act
Pre Purchase Inspection (PPI)
Porsche Car Sourcing
Porsche Cars Wanted
Official Porsche Centre Reviews
Model
Stock
Porsche 911
992 : 2019- 0
991 : 2011- 23
997 : 2004- 65
996 : 1997-2005 30
993 : 1993-1998 3
964 : 1989-1993 0
Carrera 3.2 : 1983-1989 2
Carrera SC : 1977-1983 1
930 Turbo : 1975-1989 1
Early 911 : 1964-1977 1
Porsche Other Models
Classic : 1950-1965 0
Boxster : 1997- 26
Cayman : 2005- 21
Cayenne : 2003- 5
Macan : 2014- 4
Panamera : 2009- 0
912-914-924-928-944-968 0
959 - CarreraGT - RaceCar 0
Car Parts For Sale & Wanted
Other Items For Sale & Wanted
Wheels Tyres For Sale & Wanted
Number Plates For Sale Wanted

Porsche Services
Porsche Body Shop Repair
Paint Protection & Wrapping
Porsche Classic Insurance
Porsche Classic Parts
Porsche Classic Restoration
Porsche Design Collection
Porsche Engine Gearbox Rebuild
Porsche Heritage & History
Porsche News
Porsche Picture Gallery
Win a New Porsche 911

Porsche Parts
Body Parts, Body Styling
Brakes, Clearance
Electrical, Exhausts
Engine Cooling, Engine Electrical
Engine Rebuild, Heating Cooling
Interior Incar, Lighting
Rubber Seals, Service Parts
Steering, Suspension
Transmission, Workshop Tools
Early 911, 911 - 930, 928 - 968
964 - 993, 996 - 997, Boxster
Cayman, Cayenne, Panamera

Porsche Model Range
911 [992] 2018-Current
Porsche 911 [992]
911 [991] 2011-2019
Porsche 911 [991]
911 [997] 2004-2012
Porsche 911 [997]
911 [GT] GT1-GT2-GT3
Porsche 911 [GT]
911 [996] 1997-2005
Porsche 911 [996]
911 [993] 1993-1998
Porsche 911 [993]
911 [RS] RS-RSR
Porsche 911 [RS]
911 [964] 1989-1993
Porsche 911 [964]
911 3.2 1983-1989
Porsche 911 3.2 Carrera
911 SC 1977-1983
Porsche 911 SC
911 [Early] 1964-1977
Porsche 911 [Early]
Boxster & Cayman
Porsche Boxster & Cayman
Cayenne & Panamera
Porsche Cayenne & Panamera

911uk Site Partners

HSC911
Long Beach

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

worship

Your write ups must take longer then the actual work done Grin

Keep them up Thumb

BHZ661
Barcelona

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great write up as normal , You do get such a great sense of feel with the Momo,Its next on my list to get Handbrake and Gear lever done

Dammit
Indianapolis

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm going to do handbrake, gearlever and wheel when my suede wheel gets to the "hmm" stage.

Y2K
Montreal

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like the seats and good job on the steering wheel.

I quite like the cup wheel, or the 993RS wheel, but don’t want to give up the airbag Embarassed

Dammit
Indianapolis

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marky911 wrote:

So anyway, yep it's great. Not as "wow" as the earlier pics suggest but I don't think cars ever are, in the flesh. Photos flatter them.
I think after spotting the scratches and little things I've realised that it's never going to be "as new". It's a great example of a 20 year old car, but it's still a 20 year old car.
With that in mind I'm not wasting anymore money on PPF or ceramic coatings.
It will get looked after properly but the old fashioned way. Washed and then waxed when needed.

Been meaning to reply to this: I share your feelings to an extent, to say that I'm disappointed that the paint is lifting on my deck-lid undersells the situation somewhat. However, I'm going to get those areas resolved - and to be fair to him my painter booked it back in to be rectified immediately. I do have a back-up painter if that doesn't go to plan. There are some scratches on my bonnet (detailer reckons from the guys polishing the car, which is painfully ironic), and some minor inclusions in the bonnet, plus two areas that were not flatted back correctly. Whilst fixing these I'll get the bumper chip fixed (or, more likely, the whole bumper re-sprayed). The problem is that you pay for perfection, so when you don't get that it's a huge let-down.

I'm not going to go for PPF all over, even once the car is perfect (and I won't let it not be, ultimately) because the cost is lunatic, but I will get the bumper, mirrors and area in front of the rear wheels PPF'd simply as that's easier than getting stone chips fixed regularly. I'll likely get a ceramic coat over the whole car as that was very easy to care for on the Volvo.

I think that once you get some distance from your anger about the faults you'll be a lot happier, then it's really a case of whatever makes the most pragmatic case for itself - be that wax and washing every Sunday, or a leading-surfaces PPF and a coating, or somewhere in between.

Whatever you choose the car looks great and I've very much enjoyed watching it evolve to meet your vision for it.

Marky911
Magny-Cours

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry for the late reply lads. I've got a bit on at the moment.
An unintentionally long post, now I've read it back, so feel free to ignore it.
Sleep deprived nightshift ramblings I think. Sleepy Happy

Thanks for the comments, as always MC. Thumb

Hi HSC, yes my posts do go on a bit don't they. Grin
And yes they take a little while to write. Thank god for nightshift eh. Wink

Cheers BHZ - and yes the difference a single item like the wheel can make is massive. Alcantara, for the win. Very Happy
It's definitely nice to have all contact points done in the same material. So wheel and levers. Adds a bit of continuity and a quality feel. Thumb

Y2K - thanks matey.
What's not to like about a face full of momo horn push in the event of an accident though. Do Not Know Very Happy
Seriously though I'm with you and it is at the back of my mind the odd time but I'll risk it for now. Thumb
There are always options there for your standard wheel anyway.

Dammit - Evenin Neil, thanks for taking the time to write up those points.
Firstly, yep we were amazed at how straightforward the wheel fitting went and even more amazed that the horn worked first time. Your thread was circling around in my mind throughout the fitting process. Grin
Doubt I'd have removed the column though, so if it hadn't worked I think I'd have done something with the original wheel instead.
It went so unbelievably well that Craig ordered up all the bits for his. He got it fitted last week and again his horn worked too.
I bet you're in a tiny unlucky percentage that have the issues you had. You got there in the end anyway.

The "hmm" stage is probably only a few thousand miles away for alcantara I fear, so I'll see what way you go with yours. I may go back to leather for everything when my bits wear.

Thanks for the bodywork comments.
I think the main difference between me and you is that your bodyshop is standing by their work. Grin

Mine said they weren't spending anymore time on mine, hence I kept the last £500.
That has paid the £350 for the detail and leaves £150 towards getting the rear wing/engine lid done again over winter. If the next guy is good and matches it well I may get him to do the front wing where one of the alignment guys has obviously leant on it and scratched it. No point ringing them as they'll just deny all knowledge.

Having said that, the car has been under its cover since I got it home from its detail, while I festered.
That was until yesterday when Craig came up to help me swap the dodgy rear toe-link over.
We whipped the cover off and when I went to show him the scratches on the wing it took me a good 10-20 seconds to find them so I think I was remembering them way worse than they were. Grin

I think I'll get the detailer to revisit a couple of small areas, as I expected a bit more. I can wet sand and buff things back up. I thought the detailer would but maybe they don't take the risk. Gonna give him a ring anyway and see if he'll have another look at a couple of fine scratches (including the wing) and see if he can get them a bit better. After all £350 is a fair chunk for polishing a car and I only gave it to him as I don't have time. I expected a bit more than what I could do myself.
Not bashing him mind. It does look very nice now. Cool

Re the PPF or ceramic coat I'll have a think again. PPF never looks as good as polished paint close up and if you don't see a line when it's fitted, you'll probably see a line in the paint when it's removed. So then if you need to repaint the front for a line half way up the bonnet, you may as well save the PPF money for the next front end blow over.
£1250 for ceramic coating is bonkers when it doesn't provide a physical barrier. Supposedly it's 15 microns. To anyone reading who doesn't work in microns that's 0.015 of a millimetre.
Not worth £1250 as that's a big chunk of respray money right there.

We'll see what winter brings though, once the swirls are back.Wink

As always thanks for the comments everyone.
It's always good to hear ideas and opinions. Thumb

Interior update coming soon.

Dammit
Indianapolis

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a question of where makes logical sense to stop, I totally agree.

I deffo would not stop halfway up a panel, my thinking was to get the bumper alone wrapped (I keep feeling tempted to do it in white vinyl, possibly because I have mental issues, but will doubtless do it clear when the time comes).

The bonnet I go round in circles on, to an extent, but I reckon I'd leave it and just do the bumper. If I were to do the bonnet I'd get the whole panel done.

If you use this it's £510 for the basic 5 year plus single stage paint correction: https://gtechniq.com/service_embed/DhY2cEJPHq

There's a chap who visits our HO in Reading who does it whilst you are at work, so it's pretty convenient.

Marky911
Magny-Cours

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's not bad at all. Usually things cost less up here but not on this occasion.

I'll require the single stage correction by next spring I imagine. Still under £1k though.

Yes full panels sounds sensible and is probably how it's done now. I just know a mate of mine has a car that's had it on in the past and there is an outline across his bonnet about half way up and over onto his wings iirc.
I fact it's almost exactly the outline of a car bra "remember them". Grin

I wonder if it was one of those things?? Very Happy

Right, I may as well post my interior part next. I write them gradually and it's ready to post so...

Marky911
Magny-Cours

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pic heavy, long post. "Finished" pics are at the end. Wink

Righto, interior. 
This all went well and was definitely one of the more enjoyable projects on the car. 
A good weekend stint saw it mainly done. 

First thing to do was strip out all the seats and rear door cards to enable a deep clean and removal of the rear belts etc. 

Standard front seats out -

Rear seats, belts, door cards and centre console out -

Leaving us with this -

Mmmm, years of dead skin cells with a couple of sun melted Tic-Tacs thrown in for good measure. Yuk
It wasn't actually too disgusting to be honest, but it was definitely due a good clean -

So I gave it a good Hoover out, then got stuck in with the upholstery cleaner/wet vac -

Cleaned -

All door cards cleaned. Carpeted areas wet vac'd then the leather cleaned and treated with Gliptone. 

Finished and refitted -

I then cleaned and polished all the windows while access was this good, before moving onto the interior reassembly. 

Centre console delete carpet fitted -

Centre console leather parts cleaned and treated -

We removed this tray thing -

...from under the dash here, to improve legroom and tidy things up a bit -

We wrapped up the now redundant electric seat wiring connectors and gorilla taped them to the floor to stop them from rattling about and possibly getting damaged -

The seat rails supplied with the buckets weren't particularly bad but one had a millimetre or two of fore and aft play. I figured that would mean a bit of movement in the seat when braking and accelerating so decided to ditch them. 

Aftermarket ones -

Originals removed from my genuine seats -

Nice and hairy -

Cleaned up and ready for a trial fit -

Trial fitted. No trial needed for the floor fitment as they're the factory rails obviously, but we'd been having an issue where the lever to move the seat forwards or backwards would pop out of its mechanism when pulled. 
It turned out that the base of the seat was fouling the mechanism by a tiny amount. A washer under the rear of the side-mounts was enough to keep the seat shell clear and resulted in everything functioning correctly -

One other point worth mentioning is that the drivers side seat belt buckle has a pre-tensioner and therefore wiring running to it. This cable is  clipped and routed around the bottom of the original seat. 
Not wanting to butcher this I purchased a second hand passenger buckle (passenger side doesn't have a pre-tensioner) and fitted that. 
I'm pretty sure this is how GT3s come and certainly Craig's car is, with his genuine GT3 Recaro's. 

Seat fitted -

After seats it was onto the smaller details. 

Handbrake -

Gearknob -

Very happy with these -

Removed my old grey mats -

New genuine mats to add a bit more black to the cabin. Way more practical too -

Refitted the mounting pads -

Mats fitted. Coming together now -

Steering wheel fitted -

It was at this point I remembered the seat rail, end covers. The blue stuff is welded on Magic tree -

Cleaned and treated. Still missing in some of the pics next though -

So a few before and after shots. The door cards are missing in the "before" shots as the car was ready for the bodyshop then -

Wheel before -

Wheel after -

Cabin before -

Cabin after -

So all in all I'm pretty chuffed. We lost quite a bit of weight as the front Sports seats weigh a ton. That coupled with ditching the rears, the belts and the centre console stuff adds up to quite a bit. 
I had always planned to weigh what came out but I didn't get round to it. 

It's never going to be a stripped out CLR type thing as I don't do irreversible mods. 
Speaking of CLR, where is Rich these days??

There still some work to do on the interior when I run out of other things to do as there is the usual wear and tear on some items. Nail or ring marks behind the drivers door pull, light indentations on lower dash section pass. side, plus a couple of nicks and scratches here and there. 
It's certainly presentable enough for now though. 

The buckets and wheel add a lot to the driving experience. The driver is properly keyed in now and the whole car feels alive and much sharper. 
Just what I expected really as it's a homage to my old GT3 interior.

I have some dome head bolts to fit to the side mounts as the hex heads look a bit agricultural and I've just collected the last part of the centre console delete pack, which is the plastic cover for the front of the centre console. 

Still plenty of smaller items to tackle too, mainly resulting from the bodywork. 
Sill kick plates to go on, various factory style decals around the car, etc.
I want to paint the bonnet release handles as I have the decals here from MisterCorn. Thumb
Some of that lot can be done over winter though. The car is usable so that's the main thing. 

I still need to get to the bottom of the rear camber issue and I may ditch the Elephant Racing adjustable front arms as the least amount of camber I can get on the front is -2 degrees. That's probably a bit much for road use if truth be told. 

Anyway thats it for now. As ever, thanks for looking. 
Thumb

chicb
Silverstone

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, what a fabulous job you have made of every part of the car. You must have the patience of a saint. Everything is spot on. I love reading your posts, its like a good book, cant wait to read the next chapter. Keep it up thumbsup Very Happy

Dammit
Indianapolis

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks amazing. Do the buckets put you lower in the car?

BHZ661
Barcelona

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WOW WOW that interior is just perfection, looks looks amazing thumbsup

T8
General
General

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

worship both for the work you've done on the car and your superb write-up and pics.
ex 1978 Silver 924 Manual

Steve Gom
Monza

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, just spent all morning reading this amazing thread, couldn't stop until I got to the end worship
The attention to detail shown in the work done, and the comprehensive way it's been documented on this forum, make being part of 911UK so worth while.

We all love our cars on here and I'm pretty sure we'd all like to be able to bestow this level of care and attention to ours, but this is not feasible for lots of us. The cost for parts, and more significantly, the time spent (by Marky and Nelson Porsche) must have been staggering, but the end results are hugely impressive.

Well done Marky. I'll keep my eye out for your car as I'm fairly local to Morpeth. Would be great to see it in the flesh, that interior is fantastic.

Slow in fast out...

1997 996 C2 manual
1998 RS 50th Anniversary VFR 800FiW

coullstar
Albert Park

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seats look spot on. Id love to run them but need rear access.

Centre console delete is probably one of my favourite mods Ive done.

maldren
Suzuka

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks really great Marky, I think I did better than you with my centre console, I netted about £5 in loose change!

Looking at your gear lever, have a chat to Alex about one of his modded gear shifts, mine is a modified 997 (slightly shorter shift but not too short) and it's rock solid with the phosphor bronze bushes.

HSC911
Long Beach

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks brilliant worship

EGTE
Imola

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bloody lovely, Marky Thumb

LaurasOtherHalf

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fantastic effort!

KP964