Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Steering Vaguaness - Yah I found what it was

shaunpr

Monza
So I posted a few days about my car felt like it was steering on ice.

Not used the car since as I needed to clear the garage to get it in to work on it.

Thought I would bite the bullet and treat it to a front suspension rebuild with top strut bearings, coffin arms, track rod ends, control arms and anti roll bar bushes.

I jack the car up and find that the front springs have snapped.

my car has always been low so not really noticed anything unusual.

So now I need a pair of front H & R lowering springs.

Looks like ecp are the best place to get them.

Can anyone recommend where to get a geo in Norwich I here STR is one place to go.

Attachments

• img_20170119_074729079_155.jpg
    img_20170119_074729079_155.jpg
    830.4 KB · Views: 3,774
Wow, did both snap? You do n9t often to hear of snapped springs on Porsche.

Best of luck sorting

Pip

Both springs, that's unusual, has the problem been going on for long? Did one go first or did you have an unusual event (driving over a kerb or something to shock load the springs?)

:eek: I've never heard of anyone snapping an aftermarket performance road spring before, normally original springs with age related wear and corrosion, do you know how old your springs are and how many miles they've covered?

Perhaps go for a different make, like Eibach, if your old ones were H&R?

Thinking about it...there was this one time

When I first got the car someone asked if the car was lowered, being my first I wasn't sure as I was a newbie to the Porsche world.

When doing the front discs about 9 months never noticed it, passed an MOT too.

The left side is a proper failure while the drivers side is a break but the spring still looks right.

I know what might of caused the trauma had someone pull out across a dual carriageway and to avoid him had to take evasive action which caused me to strike angled curbing so the front right jumped.

I pulled over and someone kind person pulled in behind me and said how i missed them she will never know. Of course that driver was long gone.

Did a check over and could see nothing wrong.

Car has done 92,000 miles not sure when the h&r where fitted so time to do them all round.

jezgreen911 said:
:eek: I've never heard of anyone snapping an aftermarket performance road spring before, normally original springs with age related wear and corrosion, do you know how old your springs are and how many miles they've covered?

It does happen: a friend of mine has suffered from snapped Eibach springs on his MINI. I had to have the stock front springs replaced on my 911 when the suspension needed a refresh - not that great at maybe 30,000km. :?:

Hi, snapped springs not unusual I've worked at motor factors for last 5 years,one of biggest product lines replace,broken springs. Probably supply 5/10 every day to local garages. My sons R32 golf both rear springs broken, just flat section. MOT station told us most golfs suffer from this. Most likely state of our roads and the unbelievable amount of traffic calming humps we have😳

grbspeedster said:
Hi, snapped springs not unusual I've worked at motor factors for last 5 years,one of biggest product lines replace,broken springs. Probably supply 5/10 every day to local garages. My sons R32 golf both rear springs broken, just flat section. MOT station told us most golfs suffer from this. Most likely state of our roads and the unbelievable amount of traffic calming humps we have😳

Not just most Golf's, both Audi's I've owned have had the same issues - a S3 and RS4..usually the bottom of the spring snaps off and sits in the cup. Standard issue on some VAG cars

grbspeedster said:

Just would have thought Porsche drivers would be a little more careful. I have to watch out for speed humps as I will catch my splitter and as a cyclist tend to know and keep an eye out for potholes to avoid. My wife tends to use them like a dot to dot though (- Mini).

Pip

Had the same issue with an E46 M3 - they were Eibachs that snapped - well only one but replaced the pair.

New set of H and R on the way, liked the look of Eibach's but they don't do them for the 996 Cabrio.

Phoned my local ECP to check the part number and the branch did me a great price compared to the website.

So going to replace the rears to be on the safe side.

If anyone want to buy a used set of rears off me send a PM.

Shaun

One side complete....

So my hypothesis on the spring break was caused by the top mount being worn out and putting extra stress on the spring causing it to snap.

Picture shows all the pieces I replaced as I had already done the coffin arm and track rod end previously.

Now the squeak and creak has gone from that side.

This weekend I will do the other side, found that the pelican parts 'how to' misses the fact on the C4 you need to either 1. loosen the front axle from either end to get the movement on the coffin arm to get the strut and spring from under the arch.

Have to say the electric impact hammer did a great job of the top nut, have no idea how I would of done it without it.

Attachments

• img_20170129_140516718_967.jpg
    img_20170129_140516718_967.jpg
    291.7 KB · Views: 3,145

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
briant1000
Back