Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Yearly cost of running my 996 - 3 year period

Alex

Nordschleife
I've just booked myself in at the local tyre place on Monday for some new rear Falekn Azenis (295/35 18.) - £300 fully fitted for the pair. So me being the stickler for knowing what I've spent, I've updated my running cost spreadsheet. Something I haven't done much for a year now :lol:

I'm coming up to 3 years ownership at the end of Feb and other than fitting my tyres and renewing my Insurance (just got a quote for £240 with my Dad on or £250 with my mate on), I can't see me spending any more this ownership year.

So in a nutshell, here's what the car has cost me for the last 3 years. Price includes ALL maintenance, MOT, tyres, tinkering, upgrades, add-ons (including replacement hardtop), paint jobs. Price excludes Insurance (usually around £290), petrol, tax:

Year 1 - £2,387
Year 2 - £2,514
Year 3 - £578
Total - £5,479
Average/Year - £1,826

After 2 years of ownership I did go through a patch of feeling a bit disheartened with the spends all the time, but this last year has been bliss (only £278 not including the tyres). I shall definitely not be considering a change for the foreseeable future (unless it's a Turbo :grin: ).

Here's a nice snap of mine dumped outside work :thumb:

20160818_163325_zpssl3ucdz7.jpg

As the cars get older there will be the inevitable big bills.

I spent over 5K on my car last year with quite a bit of work which should see it in good nick for the foreseeable future.

IMS upgrade and new RMS
New clutch
New rads
New condensers
Discs and pads all round
1 new calliper OEM
Clutch slave cylinder
Air con regas
2 front tyres
Various brake pipes renewed
Plus a few other bits and pieces

But at least I know the main bits are now sound and hopefully this year no surprises.

Just looking forward to the nice weather returning and I can get the car out of storage and enjoy it.

:eek:

Great summary Alex - your average costs similar to my 1st year costs:
Tyres x4 (Bridgestone SO2 N3s) - £470
Manifold bolts/gaskets replacement plus sundries - £570
Colour Crested Centre Caps - £10 (eBay specials!)
MOT plus new fuel filler cap - £46
12000 mile service, replacement left front fan ballast resistor, timing chain tensioner seals and a few clips/ bolts for underside - £411
Replacement under bumper aerofoils and bolts - £32

Excluding RFL and Insurance - £1539

Not a princely sum for something that makes you smile!!

Been pretty pleased with this year's running costs as well!!

Service £360
Wheels refurb £700
Alternator £420
Pair of front Michelins £320 ish

Cheap as chips to run a 17 year old car! Wheels refurb not essential, but makes the car look so much better!

That's not bad at all Alex. You do a few miles in yours too don't you.

I think I've done about 300 miles since I bought mine due to other commitments and I've spent about £4000. I haven't even begun yet either.
As long as they rocket upto £30k soon I'll be quids in. £40k would be better incase I need a rebuild. :grin:

Do you prefer the Falkens to Michelins? A pair of rear Michelins will only be about £80 more.

1st Year - 7,400 miles
2nd Year - 10,370 miles
3rd Year (to date) - 6,100 miles

Marky911 said:
Do you prefer the Falkens to Michelins? A pair of rear Michelins will only be about £80 more.

The Michelins I had before were the road/track tyres so only half tread on them. They were grippy but only lasted 5 months & 5,700 miles (mostly on a straight line trip to France - 2,200 miles).

The Falkens have lasted me nearly 16months and 11,000 miles local driving. The Falken are also very grippy and I can't fault them at all.

£2K per year is pretty standard for a decent performance car, I reckon.

Hopefully the bills will tail off as well.

Ah right. Yes that's not great.

I'm not knocking any cheaper options by the way. I'll be buying some for my GT3 rims soon and the current favourite is looking like the Federal 595RSR. £380 a set! Track biased though so less tread and soft too, so faster wear.

You've done well with your costs mind. Some savvy parts purchases obviously help.
:thumb:

EGTE said:
£2K per year is pretty standard for a decent performance car, I reckon.

I agree.

My daily Mondeo has cost about £800 p.a. on a like for like basis and doing about 10k mile per year. However you can add in depreciation of £1k p.a. (it was 2nd hand). If I'd bought new, the Mondeo would have cost more than the Porsche.

Mike

Gosh Mike that's a lot for a normal daily car. My old Volvo does 10k a year and aside from tax, mots and Insurance it has cost me £42 for a new front brake caliper. I bought it on 154k in July '15 and it's just clicked over past 170k.

My wife's focus on the other hand has cost us a lot during the last year.
Both bottom arms, front cat flexi, wheel bearings etc. Not good. It's 2008 with 60k on and we bought it in 2011 with 15k on.
It just feels like it's been built to a price.

I don't care what I drive as a daily as long as it's comfy, smooth and reliable, so I'd hate to be spending proper money running one. :wink:

Oh and it hasn't depreciated a single penny as I paid £700 for it. :grin:

Anyway sorry for the off topic.

When you can have a 911 for a daily at the same cost :wink: :wink:

Marky911 said:
Gosh Mike that's a lot for a normal daily car. My old Volvo does 10k a year and aside from tax, mots and Insurance it has cost me £42 for a new front brake caliper. I bought it on 154k in July '15 and it's just clicked over past 170k.

My wife's focus on the other hand has cost us a lot during the last year.
Both bottom arms, front cat flexi, wheel bearings etc. Not good. It's 2008 with 60k on and we bought it in 2011 with 15k on.
It just feels like it's been built to a price.

I don't care what I drive as a daily as long as it's comfy, smooth and reliable, so I'd hate to be spending proper money running one. :wink:

Oh and it hasn't depreciated a single penny as I paid £700 for it. :grin:

Anyway sorry for the off topic.
Hi Marky,
My figures were over the 5.5 year period I have owned the car. Costs include brakes, tyres, MOTs, usual service items (Oil etc), a new door mirror (minor accident), a new screen (Insurance excess), aircon regas, various bulbs etc. There was one significant cost, a failed switch inside a door that eventually cost £1200 - door trims cut off, new component programming etc - don't ask! A lot of the servicing was done at my local indy, quite cheap but I do it myself now I've retired. I have covered about 70k in the period. I have also included things like £200 for reversing aids. The costs add up if you really keep track.

I've had my 996.1 for about 3.5 years and I reckon I've spent about £500 per year on maintenance. This isn't because I skimp, it's just that I do all the work myself. I do oil and filters every year, whatever the mileage, but this is usually 4000 miles. I've also done:
Air/Oil Seperator
New front coffin arms
New track rod ends
New Brake pads all round + fluid
New hard brake lines
New ignition barrel
New plugs
New Coil packs
New gear change cables
I also do a full alignment every year. I have a mate that owns a company that sells the laser kit to garages so I borrow one of his set ups.
Also, every bolt that comes off gets replaced by a stainless steel one.

This year will be an expensive one as I'm putting in a 997 gearbox (£900) and clutch(£300) as the current gearbox is past it's best, and I'll be rebuilding the LSD which could cost upwards of £600.

alex yates said:
Marky911 said:
The Falkens have lasted me nearly 16months and 11,000 miles local driving. The Falken are also very grippy and I can't fault them at all.

Damn, I can't seem to get more than 10-12,000 kms out of my Falkens rears. Fronts seem to be at least double rears, which isn't surprising. And no, I'm not doing smoky burnouts, or running at 150mph every day. Mostly city commuting (sadly) with highway runs usually under 500 kms. I have a very mild alignment spec and run them 36/44 (although dropped that to 42 as centres seem to be wearing much more than edges)

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mapp
Back