Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Porsche Vehicle Tracking System: Activation and Fobs???

Status
Not open for further replies.

michelin

Hi
I'm off to view a car tomorrow and it has this system installed from the factory. Codes I674 & I677.
I've spoken with the first owner and he doesnt have any knowledge of ever owning the two fobs and the second owner says exactly the same.
My questions are:
1.How do I activate the system because clearly it is installed?
2. Where do I acquire the fobs from?

Thanks guys
:thumb:

Would go to an OPC, as this is the easiest way to verify the core system is still working and to re-activate the system with Vodafone.

From memory, new fobs are around £30-£35 each.

Thanks DRZ.

If 991 then no problem .. if 997 then ...

The system works off of a sim card .. if its been inactive for many years then the numbers seem to be reused and so even with fobs it will not work again and a new tracker is required .

You will need to phone cobra with vehicle details to see if they can still " see " the car .

https://www.porscheclubgb.com/forum/tm.aspx?m=878224

Cheers.
It's on a 981 Boxster S. :thumb:

Dont worry about it then .. on the newer cars its basically part of the car from new , Porsche testers can even see it .

No fobs may mean it was turned off when registered as the customer didnt want it .. new fobs and reactivateing is as said above done at OPC .

Thanks.
Would the system been fitted as standard as new?

Latest cars and as far as im aware they are fitted as standard .. a few years old and it was speced .. but we used to fit them on pretty much every car ..

Im not at OPC now so not sure on latest specs .

Some customers didnt want them and so to stop any problems as you still need the fobs they could be deactivated .

It is an imobiliser after all so thats why :)

Just had comms back from Vodafone Automotive.
They can't see the car on the system although PVTS has been fitted to the car from new.
Spec sheet says:

I674 'Vehicle Tracking System' preparation.
I677 'Driver Card' Antenna
I678 'Alarm System' Connection.

Puzzled.......................
Any help appreciated.

I thought the factory installed systems were an 'always on' system unless specifically removed or disconnected? I seem to remember reading that the older systems would cause excessive battery drain if the rechargeable battery died or something.
I bought a 2010 997.2 which had the fobs and required me to call Vodaphone directly to re-activate the system. It took them seconds to locate the car and activate it.

Another thought, perhaps the supplying dealer has a record of the serial number for the tracker?

An expensive waste of time IMO. £100 for two fobs, £200 annual subscription plus £££ for OPC to get working.

On my Cayman it made the Insurance £30 cheaper.

For my 911 im working on the basis that if it gets nicked I wont want it back so have taken out RTI Insurance instead (£150 for 4 years cover) so if the car is written off I'll have back the same amount that I paid to buy another.

You need a visit to either an OPC or an Indy that knows about them , they can use a tester to check coms to the unit but i suspect it needs removeing and refitting ( unplug/plug back in ) to get it working again .

Sometimes we used to take them appart and remove the battery in them for 10 mins or so to get them working again .

Thanks guys for the input.
I spoke with the dealer yesterday and you're correct. They need to fit the unit to the car. It was never done.
The cost....wait for it........£1200! :eek:
I now need to research a tracker that will also give remote access so I can monitor the car myself from an iPhone.
Blast! :roll:

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JLav211
Back