Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

991.2 GT2 RS due by 2018

Porsche News

Work continues apace on the forthcoming GT2 RS, which "should be ready by the end of the year", our source said.

Initially Porsche engineers were looking for a massive power gain, even compared with the 612bhp of the original 2010 GT2 RS, but a plan to realise 700bhp was sidelined when it became clear the engine would need a water injection system to keep internal temperatures under control.

Instead, engineers are believed to have settled on an output of around 650bhp, almost 90bhp more than the engine produces in the current 911 Turbo S. That would provide for a specific output of more than 170bhp per litre.

Another source confirmed that this would be the last outing for the engine, which is based on previous-generation technology, and that the next Turbo would be based on the new flat sixes seen in the current 911 Carrera, S and GTS, but with an enlarged capacity.

A mule for the hotly anticipated Porsche 911 GT2 RS has been spotted testing at the Nürburgring again, but this time the car has gained covers over its GT3 RS wheel arch vents.

The model, which looks set to become the most extreme production 911 yet, still appears to be wearing a mixture of other GT3 and GT3 RS bodywork, while benefiting from a larger rear wing and race-style winglets on the front bumper.

But since it was last sighted in June, the mule's wheel arches have received extensive modification. The changes to the latest mule can be seen in the pictures above and immediately below, and the original mule is shown in the bottom image.

Although these modifications might only be used as part of testing, they suggest the GT2 RS could do away with the GT3 RS's vents and adopt a completely different aerodynamic design.

One thing that hasn't changed since the last sighting is the fitment of a pair of enlarged rear intakes. These have convinced our sources that the car is running the most powerful flat six engine to make production in a Porsche.

Porsche's latest limited-run 911 models, including the 911 R, have been based on the first generation of the 991-series of the 911. But the earlier sighting of this mule showed it was running second-generation rear lights, which backs up comments made last year by Porsche's high performance boss, Andreas Preuninger, that the GT2 RS would be based on the second-generation 991 and arrive at the end of the 911's production life.

Attachments

• sb1_1679_859.jpg
    sb1_1679_859.jpg
    118.2 KB · Views: 4,650
  • sb1_1701_817.jpg
    sb1_1701_817.jpg
    120.5 KB · Views: 4,650
I am sure that the handful of speculators and collectors that will be allowed to buy it are positively salivating, as are those prepared to pay triple whatever the RRP lands at... :paperbag:

Disco said:
I am sure that the handful of speculators and collectors that will be allowed to buy it are positively salivating, as are those prepared to pay triple whatever the RRP lands at... :paperbag:

Sad but very true....

By hook or by crook I'm going to have one of these..... 8)

Is this going to be based on the regular 991 platform or the new mid-engined RSR - would explain why the side vents look closed up... which doesn't really make much sense given this is a turbo'd 911 :?:

I understand it's based on the 991 platform...

Looks a bit like fido's breakfast in that picture.

Bloody great lump of a thing
:lol:

I'm just talking it down so Nick can get a cancelled order.

Senoj said:
Looks a bit like fido's breakfast in that picture.

Bloody great lump of a thing
:lol:

I'm just talking it down so Nick can get a cancelled order.

Lol....You should just focus on not missing your flight !

(ps 💩having said that, talking it down can only help my cause ) :thumb:

nick w said:
By hook or by crook I'm going to have one of these..... 8)

You have a GT4 now? You should have a thread on here with photos

Porsche News said:
Instead, engineers are believed to have settled on an output of around 650bhp, almost 90bhp more than the engine produces in the 911 turbo.

Must make sure mine has more then! :D

Still don't understand why they are going to pass over the GT2 and go straight to the RS?

isysman said:
Porsche News said:
Instead, engineers are believed to have settled on an output of around 650bhp, almost 90bhp more than the engine produces in the 911 turbo.

Must make sure mine has more then! :D

Still don't understand why they are going to pass over the GT2 and go straight to the RS?

I'd imagine, for one, development costs are colossally high, and VW isn't
exactly best placed to fund that at the moment..
And secondly, there's probably now not enough time in the 991 timeline to
get both versions out. There was, after all near as dammit two years
betwwen the 2008, GT2 and 2010 GT2 RS. All conjecture, but I'll bet some of
it is about right... :grin:

Ps, The GT4 is covered in salt and god knows what, and I'm not cleaning it
until I see a daytime temperature of at least 8c !....then it'll be pic time !

I wonder if it will be rear wheel drive?

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smiggles772
Back