Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Voltphreaks VPR-P6 Lithium Battery Install

skyak

Based on a previous 911uk forum thread, I recently installed a Voltphreaks VPR-P6 Lithium Battery in my 997 turbo using the Rennline Mount. I ran the remote on/off switch to the accessible shroud located below the windshield on the passenger side. This allows you to initialize the battery without accessing the frunk (the Voltphreaks Batteries are equipped with an automatic shutoff in case of low voltage).

Total weight savings is 35 lbs (16kg) versus my Interstate Battery. Working with Tony at Voltphreaks has been a truly great experience. Amazing customer support!

Attachments

• vp_212.jpg
    vp_212.jpg
    337 KB · Views: 12,666
  • switch_147.jpg
    switch_147.jpg
    247.7 KB · Views: 12,666
Very neat install with that clamp and good weight saving too.

It is staggering how little these things weigh compared to oem batteries. I installed a lithium one on my Ducati and saved about 20lb in weight in the process. madness.

Martian said:
Isn't the 'weight saving' in the wrong place though? :?

Most likely is. I am just generally geared to reducing weight...comes from years of cycling I guess.

Areas of weight reduction on my car:

PCCB
Champion RS184 Wheels
FVD Exhaust
Rear seat removal (kids booster seats installed but they are much much lighter than the Porsche seats)
Lithium battery
No CD Changer
No Seat Heaters
No Manuals :)

I also have the DSC Sport suspension box...what a great mod!

JonS said:
Very neat install with that clamp and good weight saving too.

I think vs. the OEM battery the weight saving would be ~45 lbs.

Do you need to initialise the battery before every use?

Giff said:
Do you need to initialise the battery before every use?

No, you would only need to initialize if you had left the car for a month or something like that and the battery voltage dropped too low. The battery has some built in logic that automatically turns itself off to retain enough power to start the car. The reason for the remote switch is that you can not access the frunk easily without power.

You can also use the switch to turn the battery off, if you wanted to.

Nice, I like the sound of the DSC Sport suspension boxes too, I have PASM.

I'm in the US later this year, may pick up some bits for the suitcase..

Martian said:

Longitudinally perhaps, but vertically it is very much the right place to be removing weight - the battery is a heavy item that is mounted essentially as high up as it can be, which is of course the worst place from a centre of gravity point of view. In the vertical plane only deleting a sunroof from a car could be considered more beneficial I reckon.

That said - removing gyroscopic mass by replacing heavy wheels with lighter ones or targeting the lard behind the rear axle with a lighter weight exhaust would nominally be more obvious places to start if you wanted to put the car on a diet. :thumb:

skyak said:
Martian said:

I also have the DSC Sport suspension box...what a great mod!

Skyak - what car do you have and do you find benefit from the DSC for daily driving? Regards SF

Skyak - what car do you have and do you find benefit from the DSC for daily driving? Regards SF[/quote]

I have a 2007 Turbo MT with 7,500 miles. I have no suspension mods other than the DSC box. The ride change with the DSC box is night and day vs. stock, it just makes the stock suspension work way better. I would summarize by saying it makes the car feel tighter while also feeling more stable/comfortable over road imperfections. Tight without the harsh. Both the normal and sport modes are very usable. Takes about 10 minutes to install. Big Big smile on my face during that first drive after installing...took only about 1 minute of regular city driving to realize how much better my car was.

i drive a lot of other vehicles all the time and must admit cant really tell you if the DSC on my 997 turbo feels very different to my standard PASM
Perhaps I am used to it and should change it round for a week. Way cheaper than coilovers

thanks, i have a NA 997 but im thinking a medium setting in between my current PAS< hard and soft would be perfect for putting my foot down on the queens highway - but not sure if DSC would give me that ?

seeforez said:
thanks, i have a NA 997 but im thinking a medium setting in between my current PAS< hard and soft would be perfect for putting my foot down on the queens highway - but not sure if DSC would give me that ?

DSC Normal mode would give you that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GT3161
Back