Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Michelin PS Cup 2: Any difference between N spec and non N?

LaSource

Hi, I've asked this question over on PH as well. However, as there is a focused group of track drivers here so though may be worth a repost.

Before I obtain another set of Cup 2 tyres in 996 GT3 sizes, I was wondering whether there was any evidence of the difference between N-spec and non N-spec versions of this tyre.

I've had a couple of sets and 'I think' I had the following experience:
My first set was non N spec - they seemed a harder compound, potentially went off after a few hot laps, but lasted a long time.
My second set was N spec - they seemed to be a softer compound, more grip, higher wear rate, and bigger tail off with multiple heat cycles.

Now you may say I have answered my question above, however I am not a pro and was getting faster by the second set anyway which may have led to a different level of load on the tyres.

So, does the above experience correlate with anyone else?

No first hand exp with Michelin but i would imagine its more to do with load rating difference than compound. Are the load ratings the same? P corsa non N had a lower load rating on the rear size tyre. (997)

As I understand it, if the car manufacturer works with the tyre maker for specific tyres, then the specifications of the tyre are changed for the cars. There's an article on tyrereview.co.uk setting out all the different manufacturers. See http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Article/How-Tyres-Change-For-OE-Approval-the-P-Zero-Story.htm

I would have said that this is a load of rubbish but then again, I saw a brand new set of non N rated Pirelli PZero tyres (in the stock sizes and load ratings) on a 991 which had cracked badly in a couple of weeks and maybe a few hundred km. :dont know:

I ran the non-N on my 997 before the N became available (I've been on N since as there was no material price difference whenever I have been in the market for them).

I am sure that there is some kind of construction or compound difference if you ask Michelin or Porsche, but frankly I didn't notice any particular difference on road or track when I was running on them. Pretty sure that all of the load and rating numbers/letters were the same.

There was a thread on here I believe called ask an expert. It was a Michelin gent answeing questions about their tyres. Not sure if it was on this thread or else we're, I'm sure I read that there was no change in the compound / construction of the tyre between N and none N tyres. The difference was in the quality of the tyre i.e. The tolerances for N rated tyres were a lot stricter thus ensuring you got the best of the best when choosing N rated tyres.

I've run N & non-N including mixing them on an axle and I can't detect any difference but then I only potter about on road rubber :wink:

Not being overly impressed with the Cup2, this season I've bought a set of Toyo 888R in 18" & a set of Trofeo R in 19" to sample something different...

Thanks.

FYI. I used the new toyo R888R tyres on the E46 M3 this past 6 months. Very good track tyre. Bags of grip. However immense amounts of road noise and surface rumbling.

I'm going to switched them out as I cant stand the road noise anymore. I think they are fine for a pure track car but not great for a car also used for road driving.

LaSource said:
FYI. I used the new toyo R888R tyres on the E46 M3 this past 6 months. Very good track tyre. Bags of grip. However immense amounts of road noise and surface rumbling.
I'm going to switched them out as I cant stand the road noise anymore. I think they are fine for a pure track car but not great for a car also used for road driving.

Thanks for the info T.
I've just ordered a set of CUP2's but had R88R's in the running as they supposedly addressed the horrendous noise issue from the preceding R888. Glad I didn't go this way now hearing that this noise problem hasn't been fully addressed. TBH though, it was more the weight of them that put me off and that they are only 'W' rated in 17's.

If this is going to migrate into a track tyre thread, I'd put a vote in for the Yokohama Advan Neova AD08 (and now AD08R) as they're sticky, can heat cycle and are quite resilient. I've also tried Toyo 888s (sticky but wear quickly), and more recently Nitto NT01s (incredibly noisy on the road). And I have the Federal RSR 595s on my other car: really great value for a semi-slick.

Looks like we've migrated now :)

For the toyo 888 you do need to differentiate between the traditional 888R and the new tyre (stupidly called) R888R. The two models have completely different tread patterns and I guess compound.

I believe the major thing fixed in the new model is heat resilience where the old tyre used to go off after a few laps. The new one does keep going. The toyo marketing blurb states that this new tyre is not for everyday use but is just legal enough to allow a car to be driven to the track.

In the M3 at 40 mph it is rumbling. At 120mph it sounds like a spitfire :)
See one of the other threads where I posted a ring lap. You can hear the spitfire down in the foxhole.

They are cheap and high performing though.

It is interesting reading the experience the thinking of people with othe cars in different forums. So in M3 world the cup 2 is relatively new and seen as a tyre which goes off too early after a few laps (in my experience with GT3/GT4 it does this during a morning session as it is coming up to temps but quite solid in the afternoon session)
The trofeo R and R888R (control tyre for some competitions) are considered good tyres.
The trackday king is the Dunlop Direzza 03G

Roro said:
Typical, I buy a set of Cup2 just as everyone else is going off them! :pc: :grin:

I love them, last ages and grippy, progressive all good. Not quite as set and forget as the cup1 but really great tyre with long life.

Senoj said:
Roro said:
Typical, I buy a set of Cup2 just as everyone else is going off them! :pc: :grin:

I love them, last ages and grippy, progressive all good. Not quite as set and forget as the cup1 but really great tyre with long life.

Well that's good to hear :thumb: for reference I went N0, just figured if they're developed for Porsche then no sense in not going for them

Roro said:

It's ok. Cup 2s are one of the best especially for Porsches.
I'll be getting a set next for both GT3 and M3.

Trofeo R Get my vote, excellent grip wear better than a cup tyre but not as good as a cup 2. Don't have the weird thing like cup 2 s where they go greasy after a couple of laps then come back to you. Trofeo R much easier to set up on the day like the old cups. Not bad in the wet either

Just a shame about the price.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
davey2233
Back