Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Whilst it's out

Chaps, so whilst my engine is out I'd like to freshen her up a little, she's a little leaky and just needs a light overhaul, not rebuilding at 104k, not going that far so I'm thinking the following:-

Ignition Leads (Beru)
Dizzi caps and Rotor arms (Beru)
12 x Sparks plugs
2 x Oil Filters
1 x Air Filter
1 x Fuel Filter (technically not engine but)
2 x Particle Filter (again not engine but)
1 x Sump plug
2 x Lower Camshaft cover gasket
1 x Clutch kit
3 x new belts
2 x new c4 engine mounts
1 X Golden Rod and RS short shift

Anything else?, any other gaskets that should be replaced that maybe causing leak?, should I do dizzy belt?, should I replace the hanger?, alternator pulley/s?.

I'll be giving it a good degrease a steam clean whilst it's out taking the obvious precautions.

Cheers
Trev

[/list]

Are you doing all this yourself as well as removing the complete Targa top for a rebuild/refurb?

If so, I cannot tell you jealous I am of skills like yours! Unless of course you are a Porsche mechanic by trade when it wouldn't be quite so impressive!

Maybe I should come up to Preston, watch Brighton play PNE and then pay you a visit this weekend to look over the removed Targa.

Might be worth checking the chain guides. One of mine was cracked. :x

Trev you mentioned drive belts - I would also consider replacing the Drive belt sensor (99310603500)

And the CV boots if they are original (92833229302 one kit per driven wheel)

Suggest replacing the timing chain housing gaskets and the base gaskets - after checking the chain guides as Ian has suggested.

While my car was being refurbed, all the fuel injectors were removed and checked/cleaned - in my case they all tested good and only required cleaning - as the engine is accessible it would be a good time to get those done and know what condition they are in.

Not engine related, but while you have the access if the engine bay sound deadening pad is crusty and manky, now would be a great time to replace it! :bandit:

I think there is also a brake line that is accessible with the engine out. It runs across the back of the engine. Worth checking condition/replacing.

Ian, you have reminded me there is also a fuel supply line that is only accessible while the engine is out, worth checking the condition of that too.

99335606201 Fuel supply pipe RHD 993
92811047504 Fuel pump union cap
If needed.

Trev, trust me - it never ends! :grin:

Not engine out but replace the alternator bearing, check ISV valve and oil return rubes plus oil cooler at the front of the car.

Worth sticking a tranny mount in?

You might want to check power assisted steering pump and belt too.

ATB :)

Jeez thanks guys you really like spending my time and money :)

As ever what a great forum for this type of advice :)

So as you all mention I'll be checking various bits as I go, I certainly replace the sound proofing. My ISV has already been cleaned and buffed up :), did the same on my old C2S.

One thing i'll do is the timing chain covers with new gaskets and check the condition of the tensioners.

Will check the fuel pipes and brake lines, and give the whole engine bay area a thorough clean.

The alternator bearing is a good one whilst it's out so I'll be looking for a new one, I'll also change the alternator pulley.

I need to either replace or fix some of my tin work that seems to have bent a little.

I'm really not sure how this car ran before I got hold of it as the leads are so perished and cracked.

Trev

:useless:
Lol.
PS How is the roof work coming along Trev?

Cameltoe & Heel said:
ballcock said:
Worth sticking a tranny mount in?

Yes Ballers, already have a new one ready to go :)

Fandabbydozie! :thumbs:

a question regarding camshaft cover gaskets:

Should I replace both top and bottom gaskets as well as the bolts??.

Trev

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alanjf
Back