Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Range Rover Evoque

Ursa911

Mrs Ursa has decided she doesn't want her Lexus anymore and wants a RR Evoque.

We'll likely buy something 18-24 months old rather than buy new but i don't know very much about them at all. Any forum members have knowledge/experience on these, what problems they can have or what to look our for? With so many different specs on these (quick look on autotrader) i don't really see what the difference is between the Pure, Tech etc etc. From what i gather the 4wd is the faster option at 124mph rather than 2wd 113mph.

Had a bit of a look at these a while back.

Pure is the basic spec. Tech is an options package on top of that. Most I looked at seemed to be Pure Tech.

If you buy from a main dealer there is a 2 yr warranty.

We ran one for about 6 months between Jags, it was a top spec 3 door,the full length glass roof was superb. Our thoughts, watch out for headroom seat is high and roof low so watch your head on entry and egress. I'm just over 6 ft and wife about 5ft 7 in we both had issues in banging head on frame of door. Space is compromised very small boot and on 3 door difficult access to rear as seats don't move too far forward. My son used it for a few weeks and as he has a young daughter struggled to get her in and out of babyseat, he felt not a family car. Economy on mixed journeys was no better than 31 from the diesel. Although looks good it is a big body and supermarket parking spaces are a little tight for it. Didn't have it long enough for any problems to occur so can't comment on issues.
We did have issue with vandalism where some kind sole keyed the whole side whilst parked in Warwick, never had issue with the Jag but maybe they just did not like Range Rovers. Look out for damage to side trim as they break on removal and you have to buy new.Depends what you want it for for us we would not have another

My wife has one which is coming up to 82k / 4 years old. In that time it has required front discs and pads and rear pads, set of wiper blades and a couple of sets of tyres. Other than that, it's had routine servicing and behaved impeccably. She wasn't bothered about spec so we went for a PureTD4 5 door. Boot space is limited, however I can sit comfortably in the back at 6' 2".I find it very comfortable to drive over long journeys, the interior is a very nice place to be and the trimmings and materials are nice to the touch, particularly compared to the Freelancer / Dicovery. Economy averages 31, 36 on a run. We intend getting another in the next year or two. By then the mileage will be well into 6 figures but touch wood, I have no concerns over reliability. Take one for a drive, you may be pleasantly surprised how they drive.

Thanks all, we'll be looking for a 5 door version that, according to Mrs Ursa, just has to have rear parking sensors, buttons on steering and have two sets of keys which isn't a big ask of any means. My 6yr old just insists on it being black, he thinks he's Batman. It will mostly be used for school runs or shopping trips which concerns me now owing to lack of boot space and being a bit of a lump in the car parks, also the boot will need to store the baby Ursa's pram frame and basinet (icandy strawberry) so any input from 911uk members wives would be appreciated.

Ursa911 said:
Thanks all, we'll be looking for a 5 door version that, according to Mrs Ursa, just has to have rear parking sensors, buttons on steering and have two sets of keys which isn't a big ask of any means. My 6yr old just insists on it being black, he thinks he's Batman. It will mostly be used for school runs or shopping trips which concerns me now owing to lack or boot space and being a lump in the car parks, also the boot will need to store the babies pram fre and basinet (icandy) any input from 911uk members wives would be appreciated.

It sounds as though Mrs Ursa has similar demands of an Evoque as Mrs S70RJW. The Pure comes with reversing sensors, hands free / stereo controls on steering wheel, together with DAB and Bluetooth audio streaming. The boot should be plenty big enough for a buggy and associated child paraphernalia. Mrs S70RJW endorses my comments and stood on my shoulder as I typed to ensure accuracy...

Engines not that refined or 'modern'. Quoted mpg figures unachievable rather than aspirational.

Top spec has all the toys but as others have said they're not that big (inside).

Seem to be a choice more for women than men. Colleague at work bought himself an Evoque and had no end of ribbing :what: Having said that he later went and chopped it in for an MX-5 :roll:

its not something I like, not a range rover fan in all honesty, seems nearly every owner is a twat, or a show off wife or girlfriend.

They look like a mistake with the silly low roof, some things should just be left alone.

get a mustang 5.0 gt, they are growing on me daily.

Zingari said:
Engines not that refined or 'modern'. Quoted mpg figures unachievable rather than aspirational.

I looked at these 2 years ago and was informed by the salesman at the time that the mpg figures were very much ambitious to say the least. He did say that the following MY would feature a better diesel engine that would be a lot better but I have no idea if this is the case.

Nice looking motors, especially the limited designs with the extra bodystyling and improved interiors but as other have said I found the size to be very deceiving from the outside and felt as if it was no bigger inside than a Ford Focus.

Monkeynutz said:
Zingari said:

I looked at these 2 years ago and was informed by the salesman at the time that the mpg figures were very much ambitious to say the least. He did say that the following MY would feature a better diesel engine that would be a lot better but I have no idea if this is the case.

Nice looking motors, especially the limited designs with the extra bodystyling and improved interiors but as other have said I found the size to be very deceiving from the outside and felt as if it was no bigger inside than a Ford Focus.

They did start off with the old skool Freelander 4 cyl diesel, then moved on to the more advanced Ingenium.

We looked at the evoque when Mrs R was wanting to change her X5. Too small, a distinct lack of 'poke' and very limited storage space were her comments. From the drivers seat though the cabin is nice and well arranged.

She then tried a Range Rover Sport and fell in love with it. We went for the V6 diesel engine variant. What a vehicle to drive it is, I've never had anything as comfortable - I absolutely love it!

I always find it funny if I'm working on it compared to working on Porsches. All the nuts and bolts on the RR are massive in comparison, its still very 'agricultural' underneath that incredibly plush cabin.

I know a couple of owners. Pair of them don't have a good word to say about them. One of them is my Porsche fanatic neighbour. He's had gearbox problems and problems with the sat nav screen. Customer service IMHO has been poor and he's getting quite disheartened with it. He's itching to get a Macan but only just bought a Cayman. Can see him getting shut sometime this year.

If you like having problems with poor electrical gremlins then deffo get one :thumb:

Otherwise buy a proper German type thingy like a toe rag or Q5, etc.

Hateful things.

But each to their own.

alex yates said:
I know a couple of owners. Pair of them don't have a good word to say about them. One of them is my Porsche fanatic neighbour. He's had gearbox problems and problems with the sat nav screen. Customer service IMHO has been poor and he's getting quite disheartened with it. He's itching to get a Macan but only just bought a Cayman. Can see him getting shut sometime this year.

If you like having problems with poor electrical gremlins then deffo get one :thumb:

Otherwise buy a proper German type thingy like a toe rag or Q5, etc.

Agree with this. Similar feedback from folk I know. Especially regarding crap gearboxes. Chelsea tractor, maybe ok but if you tow anything it'll evaporate.
Acceleration is like an iceberg too. Get a Macan instead, spanks the Evoque all over.

Palladium said:
its not something I like, not a range rover fan in all honesty, seems nearly every owner is a twat, or a show off wife or girlfriend.

They look like a mistake with the silly low roof, some things should just be left alone.

get a mustang 5.0 gt, they are growing on me daily.

:oops:

To be fair I've never driven one. JLR customer service is shocking even when the engine blew on mine ..............but there is something about them that they get away with it. I know two people who run them as school prams and love them. I did not entertain one though and went for the macan but another step up in price bracket.

Ps I ran a good spec sport dynamic for a month while mine was off the road and much prefer the macan in that price bracket

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Silage
Back