Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Aaaaarrrrgghh!

HPNer

Imola
Happy New Year all!
Just returned from overseas and jumped into the jellybean this morning, (brrrr!) . . . and it won't start . . .!!!!!
As many here know, mine is a daily driver, so no pampering and it lives outside on the drive.
Hasn't been used since just before Christmas and it's bloody cold here! Plenty of battery charge, so it turned over like a good 'un.
I have swapped over the DME relay, just in case it was this, but nope, still cranking over but no start! It had a new tankfull of Mr Shell's finest a few weeks back.
A long shot perhaps, but any anyone have any ideas for a quick fix . . . I was supposed to be going up to the smoke in it today, but it looks like it's going to be Mrs HPNer's 981 S (boo!)
Any thoughts . . .?
:?:

Another DME relay? my mates car had the same problem and he changed the DME and still it wouldn't start. Had the car dropped off at OPC, they fitted another DME and it fired up first time.

Good luck.

ATB :)

Quite possible that both DME's have gone. My local Indy is going to put another through my letterbox!
I know that the Bosch fuel pump's can seize occasionally, so if not the DME, that may be the next suspect.
I'm off to town in a moment until Sunday, so its going to have to wait until Monday as to where I go from here!
:roll:

Starter motor?

Immobiliser fault.

You could try the hotwire DME test first then the usual spark or fuel tests. If it's the immobiliser you're stuck, water shorted mine out from leaky roof. My last problem was the flywheel sensor. Rats in the loom?

I'd remove the DME and give a few sharp taps (unless you have the third one by now)

I'm with Alex on possible immobiliser fault ....... or engine sensor ....... good luck Phil ....... hope you had a great time sailing in the Caribbean ...... :)

If the immobiliser is the same age as the car I'd be thinking there's a good chance it's that. I had an 850i with a multi point immobiliser (fuel pump, starter motor, ecu, etc.) and one of the shut off points was faulty. A decent local auto electrician should diagnose this in no time and be able to by-pass the fault. Mine dropped a fault on 2 points - 1st one was the starter motor (which on an auto is a real pain as you can't bump start it) and second a few months later was the fuel pump. Think he only charged me about 50 quid to fix each time.

An update . . .

Used a jumper across the DME, but no dice, so looks as if both DME relays are okay.

Tried it again today (you never know . . .!) , gave a cough as if it was going to go (a very small cough though!), could that have been my imagination, perhaps?

I suspected the immobiliser I have a Laserline 291 Thatcham Class 1 fitted in October 2001 by the previous owner. Looking at the manual, it initiates two immobiliser circuits, fuel pump and starter motor, both of which seem to be working.

The car received the new engine loom under warranty yonks ago, so unlikely to be that.

While I've been away, it has been sat on the drive for a good few weeks now getting wet!

So still no go . . .

Going to have to check for spark next, and then fuel . . .
Anyone got any clues as to the best way to check for both on a 993????

:bandit:

highway said:
Connect up that power pack. It's the battery.

And wear some rubber wellies as insulation :what:

highway said:
Connect up that power pack. It's the battery.
Ha! good thinking . . . it does make me sleep well knowing I have that on board . . .

However, battery is now full charge (less than 12 months old), although wasn't full charge when I attempted to start it on my return.

Actually, just realised that I should rethink, as when I jumped the DME relay no start I assumed the fuel pump was functioning as it must have received power via the DME relay, so this hasn't been fully ruled out yet.

Sooo . . . I'm still not ruling out the immobiliser (for what its worth I hate the damn things!). I'm not even sure where the bloody box of tricks is lurking. As I understand it, the installer has to cut into the engine loom to connect the whole unidentifiable leads into the circuit from the box.

I'd happily rip the whole lot out and put a nice new virgin loom back in.

By the way, does the original factory locking system on a 94MY have an immobiliser built in or is it just a closing system with a simple alarm? (i.e. the one activated simply by the key in the door).

:?:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stinkyspanner
Back