Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Aftermarket wheels - whats the general consensus?

markturner1960

I wondered what you guys thought of aftermarket wheels on the GT range....

Are you OEM all the way, or do you think a well chosen set would enhance?

Whats the best looking aftermarket wheels on a GT do you think.....

I liked these: http://rennlist.com/forums/parts-marketplace/969567-fs-19-adv1-996tt-997tt-wb-like-new.html

and these: http://rennlist.com/forums/parts-marketplace/966840-like-new-rtf-18-rims-and-ad08r-tires.html

Or is it BBS all the way if changing?

Just interested as I love the aftermarket wheels on my M3, but not sure if this would work on the GT3....

Wholly subjective, of course, but personally I love BBS CH-Rs :cloud9:

BBS or I do like the OZ rims some folks have got.

the OEM wheels are lovely on the mk2.

I have oz ultraleggera's on mine with cups for the summer. SOOOOO MUCH LIGHTER. I love some of the forged wheels from the states etc but they are far too pricey.

I done a 5-lug conversion on my 997.2 GT3 and went with OZ Ultraleggera HLT.

On a GT - frankly anything goes as long as you aren't putting 20"s on it or anything like that. OZs are popular as they are very light for the money, but I have seen all sorts on them over the years - even Rays and Enkei from Japan...

Whatever floats your boat just as long as it isn't chrome really.

I'm on the side of OE wheels. There's been a huge amount of wheels being made of a lower grade material which has devastating consequences.

Before you spend your cash watch the videos on YouTube by customs officers giving wheels to test facilities to experiment on. Some shatter when they drive over a pot hole. Compared to the genuine article.

I think I saw some tested using gen1 and the gen2 turbo wheels.

The answer is if it's not genuine you're taking a huge gamble and is it worth it for a few hundred quid.

MNC911 said:
I'm on the side of OE wheels. There's been a huge amount of wheels being made of a lower grade material which has devastating consequences.

Before you spend your cash watch the videos on YouTube by customs officers giving wheels to test facilities to experiment on. Some shatter when they drive over a pot hole. Compared to the genuine article.

I think I saw some tested using gen1 and the gen2 turbo wheels.

The answer is if it's not genuine you're taking a huge gamble and is it worth it for a few hundred quid.

A bit misleading; many aftermarket wheels are made to a far higher standard with better materials and testing than OEM Porsche wheels. OZ and BBS for instance are both widely used in motorsport in a far more arduous environment than any road car would ever see. If you are buying Forged T6061 wheels from a reputable company, Volk, BBS, OZ... these will far exceed the test standards.
I think what you are saying is if you buy cheap crap from China... But nobody in their right mind would be fitting 10bob wheels to their 911. The only reason OEM wheels are better is that they are more OEM. Other than that, there are far better alternatives that may suit some tastes.
Also remember that Porsche often have their wheels made by these aftermarket companies; Speedline, Fuchs, BBS anyone.

I'm not that excited by OEM rims: all 4 of mine are bent to some degree and my friend has had to replace both front rims on his Boxster.

There are some very high quality and lightweight rims out there, both forged and cast, from the likes of OZ Racing, HRE (costly though!), Vorsteiner, BBS etc etc.

I "stress tested" an OZ Racing SuperTurismo on my other car a couple of summers ago, and although I managed to bend all sorts of suspension arms, the rims themselves (when tested afterwards) were straight and true ...

Of course cheap knock offs are a stupid idea, and a lot of replicas are heavier than the originals, but you pay for what you get.

There are plenty of good quality aftermarket options for GT cars, my problem is just that I have never seen a design I really liked until recently. OZ now do some very good looking high quality wheels, and I'll be pulling the trigger at some point on a set for my GT3

BBS, either monoblock or E88, and now the RT88. Monoblock in 996GT3 sizes are very hard to come by, unless you pay big money...

The OEM 996GT3 are a very nice wheel, just unbelievably heavy in todays standards.

There are some great options out there, keep to standard sizes and buy decent stuff from well known brands and i think you'll be fine. I like a nice set of non OEM rims, just need to be tasteful.

Lucky enough to have some forged Oz on the 997 and the weight saving is so noticeable.

In BM lamd i have discoved a brand called Apex. One of a few who use flow formed cast tech which is light and strong if not quite forged standards.

NXi will be along in a min with his pics of cracked Oz Ultraleggs but when he does just remember the work cycle those will have had :D

Senoj said:
NXi will be along in a min with his pics of cracked Oz Ultraleggs but when he does just remember the work cycle those will have had :D

Yes, I had every spoke crack on the rears but they had been used for slicks for 4 years. I've bought another set because you can't beat the VFM. These are 18" Allegerita's btw, the 19" Ultraleggera is a better & stronger spoke design and I doubt they will every crack like this.

Attachments

• img_20160920_181540342_349.jpg
    img_20160920_181540342_349.jpg
    381.7 KB · Views: 7,097
  • img_20160920_181607041_340.jpg
    img_20160920_181607041_340.jpg
    260.2 KB · Views: 7,097
And this is what they look like if they get a big enough hit :sad:

Attachments

• ripped_138.jpg
    ripped_138.jpg
    204.6 KB · Views: 7,029