Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Done to death but... which Millers Nano for C 987.1 please?

Been doing a lot of reading about Millers and read a lot from Baz at Hartech. Want to get Millers in there ASAP.

Car is 2007 and just knocking on 55k. Don't drive it every day, but it is my only car. Usually cover no more than 7k a year.

Do I want 5w-40, 10w-40 or 10w-50.... can't really find it anywhere in black and white?

Figure I buy 10l and have some left over, have a deep sump so need to add 0.6l over standard spec.

Cheers, Gents!

I believe Hartech recommend 10-50 NT but I am sure somebody wil argue this in a minute :)

Tried ringing, can't speak to a human being.

Anyone care to put their word in on the matter?

Thanks, Nimrod.

I was told by the bloke at Opie Oils to run with the OE spec unless oil consumption was high.

My limited understanding of such matters has been that thinner oil protects the engine more quickly on cold start up, but thicker oil less likely to find its way out past seals and provide more protection for older more worn engines.

If you email the Millers technical enquiry address they will almost certainly suggest the 5w-40 NT, whereas Hartech will likely lean towards the 10w-50, but both will probably say that either will be ok.

Given that for your 987 Porsche recommend a 0w-40 or 5w-40 (as per their A40 approved oils list which also includes 5w-50 that OPCs will typically use on older cars) and that there are no oils thicker than "5w-", a decision to go to 10w-50 needs to have logic behind it IMO.

For example, its all very well for Porsche to suggest 0w-40 for new engines but what about several years later when internal tolerances have increased from natural wear? Surely a thicker oil makes sense to fill these larger gaps? Also, with the potential for issues arising in these engines, surely its better to have a thicker/stronger oil film between the pistons and cylinders? If you subscribe to these perspectives, plus Hartech saying the "standard" oil for their maintenance plan customers is the 10w-50, all good reasoning to choose it.

On the other hand, if your car isn't using or leaking oil and you've been using 0w-40 or 5w-40, you could take the view that this suggests the tolerances and seals in your engine are still in good shape and you wouldn't really benefit from the 10w-50. You might also agree that given the "10w" part means decreased oil flow from cold start and the "-50" part means increased drag at operating temp, there could be disadvantages! you might then feel that the 5w-40 millers NT gets your engine the better quality ester based oil and nano technology whilst staying within the viscosity recommendation of Porsche.

If my car was leaking/seeping/using oil I'd go with the 10w-50, if it wasn't I'd go with the 5w-40, but that's just my opinion, much more long-winded but same as Robertb's :thumb:

Cheers Gents, only had the car a month. Tom from 911v said it used not one bar of oil in the 2k he covered in it.

So am probably leaning towards 5w-40 then...

Have contacted our friends at Hartech, awaiting a reply.

Thanks Demort, what would you classify 55k as?!

I would be putting 5/40 in yours if it came in for service .. 40 - 50 k miles is what we tend to switch at but im sure every garage is different , thats just what we do .

The 996 I bought with a Hartech rebuild the invoice specifically stated use 10-50 after 1000 miles running in, I agree with Demort and his knowledge is far greater than mine I doubt it makes much difference in normal use.

I have used both in the 993 and the 996 I had, I rate Millers oil the 993 ran better on it than mobil 1 and used less. Personally I preferred the 10 -50 as when I drove the 993 it tended to get driven hard and I thought it beeter suited to that after 90K miles .

Thanks for all the advice, Gents. Will probably take a punt on 5w-40 by the sounds of it.

Where is best to get the sumpl plug and filter? The Stealers or....?

Magnetic sump plug a good idea IMO, as for housing, I would replace it if the existing one was damaged but otherwise just the filter and the number sealing ring.

Thanks for the reply. Yet to hear back from my mate with a ramp.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Max V
Back