Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Special 964 Steering Wheel?

MikeRSR

Hi, had asked in the 993 section but perhaps better trying here! I'm looking for what people call a Clubsport steering wheel, but not the 968 version.

I think it's the one that was an option on the 964RS, I've attached a pic of it here and would appreciate any info or help in trying to find one. Many thanks, Mike.

Attachments

• clubsport01_126.jpg
    clubsport01_126.jpg
    154.1 KB · Views: 6,865
Made by Atiwe and called the Porsche Club Sport.

The one you have in the photo is the non official Porsche one. It's still made by Atiwe. The lower spoke is glued leather tho, not a centre stitch. Porsche ones are also stamped logo on the horn pad, not the badge.

Either look great in a 964 though. Is it one with an enamal badge that you're looking for Mike?

Photo of the Porsche one...

Chris

Attachments

• image_561.jpeg
    image_561.jpeg
    17.5 KB · Views: 6,811
I agree with all of Chris' comments. It is also good to be aware that fitting one of these (at least the genuine Porsche one) to a 964 with an airbag or a 993 is not that straight forward. I believe you need to also change the steering column, fit a horn adapter for the horn to work and a resistor to prevent the dash warning light from coming on. I actually have one of the Porsche wheels in Marine Blue to fit my interior colour but have not yet fitted it due to the steering column issue... If you have 964 without an airbag it should be an easy swap, though.

Put one in my 993C4S
I too thought it was daunting
It isn't
You need a 300ohm resistor
And a 964 steering column cowl.
The rest is easy.
The cowl is about thirty quid
Pick the right one
Mine has cruise and obc so four stalks
Disconnect the battery before you start the work
Cut the plastic airbag connector and solder the resistor in line
With a heat shrink tube over that
Piece of cake
No column change needed.
I think the whole lot cost about £475 all in.
Bought the lot from Matthew at type 911 Beckenham.

The one you put on your 993, did the wheel have the hub integrated into the wheel? The genuine Porsche wheel that I have has an integrated hub and the splines on it do not match those in the steering column of the airbagged 964. I think with the Atiwe where the hub is not integrated you can use a Momo hub made for the airbagged 964's steering column splines. This makes it a significantly easier swap.

I tried the swap myself with my wheel and had two Porsche dealers try it as well (one OPC and one independent). None of us could figure out any other way to get the wheel on my 964 without swapping the steering column. I'd be very happy to be proven wrong :)

If it is a 964 without airbag, like mine, it's a two minute job.

Chris

stuttgartmetal said:
Mine is the genuine Porsche Item.
The hub was present.
Ask this guy

[email protected]

Funnily enough that is exactly where I asked from when I was about to purchase the wheel. Got the list of parts and a confirmation of the fit. But the wheel does not fit for the reasons mentioned above. I see from the parts catalogue that the 964 had three different part numbers for the steering column over its lifetime. I guess at least one of them is less compatible with the wheels than the others...

One on ebay at the moment

aYc1ZZX.jpg

thanks but I think that's a 968 Clubsport wheel with the stitching in the middle of the bottom spoke. Apparently Atiwe the original manufacturers supplied the wheels to Porsche like that, the optional aftermarket wheel they did had different stitching like the one in the first picture at the top of the thread.

Decided the way to do this is to get an old original and have it re-trimmed to exactly the way I want, I do like a project....

MikeRSR said:
thanks but I think that's a 968 Clubsport wheel with the stitching in the middle of the bottom spoke. Apparently Atiwe the original manufacturers supplied the wheels to Porsche like that, the optional aftermarket wheel they did had different stitching like the one in the first picture at the top of the thread.

Decided the way to do this is to get an old original and have it re-trimmed to exactly the way I want, I do like a project....

The one in the top pic is definitely the Atiwe branded Porsche replica. Made by the same company, but not a Porsche part.

Cheaper to buy though. Available new and second hand on eBay.

Don't want to sound like an ar$e, but you would be throwing money away doing it that way. Sorry.

Chris

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Silage
Back