Welcome to 911UK
The only place for Porsche, 911uk is the definitive enthusiast and resource site for the Porsche 911.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so join up today for full access to the site and benefit from latest member offers.

Porsche Classifieds
Porsche Buyers Guides
Sell Your Porsche on 911uk
Create a Free Classified Advert
Search Ads
Classified Adverts FAQ
Trade Classified Information
Buyer & Seller Fraud Protection
Pre Purchase Inspection (PPI)
Porsche Car Sourcing
Porsche Cars Wanted
Model
Stock
Porsche 911
991 : 2011- 10
997 : 2004- 80
996 : 1997-2005 37
993 : 1993-1998 5
964 : 1989-1993 2
Carrera 3.2 : 1983-1989 0
Carrera SC : 1977-1983 0
930 Turbo : 1975-1989 1
Early 911 : 1964-1977 0
Porsche Other Models
Classic : 1950-1965 0
Boxster : 1997- 12
Cayman : 2005- 24
Cayenne : 2003- 11
Macan : 2014- 0
Panamera : 2009- 1
912-914-924-928-944-968 4
959 - CarreraGT - RaceCar 0
Car Parts For Sale & Wanted
Other Items For Sale & Wanted
Wheels Tyres For Sale & Wanted
Number Plates For Sale Wanted

Porsche Services
Porsche Body Shop Repair
Paint Protection & Body Wrapping
Porsche Classic Insurance
Porsche Classic Parts
Porsche Classic Restoration
Porsche Design Collection
Porsche Engine Gearbox Rebuild
Porsche Heritage & History
Porsche News
Porsche Picture Gallery
Win a New Porsche 911

Porsche Parts
Body Parts, Body Styling
Brakes, Clearance
Electrical, Exhausts
Engine Cooling, Engine Electrical
Engine Rebuild, Heating Cooling
Interior Incar, Lighting
Rubber Seals, Service Parts
Steering, Suspension
Transmission, Workshop Tools
Early 911, 911 - 930, 928 - 968
964 - 993, 996 - 997, Boxster
Cayman, Cayenne, Panamera

Porsche Model Range
911 [991] 2011-Current
Porsche 911 [991]
911 [997] 2004-Current
Porsche 911 [997]
911 [GT] GT1-GT2-GT3
Porsche 911 [GT]
911 [996] 1997-2005
Porsche 911 [996]
911 [993] 1993-1998
Porsche 911 [993]
911 [RS] RS-RSR
Porsche 911 [RS]
911 [964] 1989-1993
Porsche 911 [964]
911 3.2 1983-1989
Porsche 911 3.2 Carrera
911 SC 1977-1983
Porsche 911 SC
911 [Early] 1964-1977
Porsche 911 [Early]
Boxster & Cayman
Porsche Boxster & Cayman
Cayenne & Panamera
Porsche Cayenne & Panamera

911uk Site Partners

k3bab
Trainee

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 3:23 pm    Post subject: How to make a 991.2 turbo sound better without voiding warra Reply with quote

I would love to find a way to improve the engine noise of my new 991.2 turbo. The car is superb but just does not sound as good as it should. Much preferred the sound of 997.1 C2S with PSE.

Could someone please recap the possible options (even less conventional ones) and sum up the impact on warranty? I assume any sort of change will void warranty?

MJA911
Indianapolis

2010 Porsche 997 Carrera 4S

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does yours have porsche sports exhaust already?

k3bab
Trainee

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is a 911 turbo so no. I was under the impression that turbos do not have a PSE option?

MJA911
Indianapolis

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I'm confused and not being helpful at all, sorry. Is yours a proper "Turbo" then and not a 991.2 Carrera which happens to have a turbocharger in the engine?

k3bab
Trainee

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes sorry I confused matters myself. It is a proper turbo.

MJA911
Indianapolis

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Out of my league then, must be awesome worship

It also means I have no idea Get Me Coat

911tom
Barcelona

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am slightly shocked that Porsche don't offer a sport exhaust option for the turbo. I am sure it is a box that would more often than not be ticked if they did. Maybe speak to Porsche re warranties etc but I suspect there are no options available sadly.
350Bhp astra van for work Surprised

Monkeynutz
Spa-Francorchamps

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would be interested to hear how you get on with your quest. I am not in a position to purchase a 991 Turbo yet but the exhaust note, or the lack of, is the second biggest obstacle I have in buying one..the money is my first obstacle.

Having seen and heard some of these rocket ships on the track I think they sound OK but on UK roads I can imagine there isn't much opportunity to floor it past 2nd gear.

You might find some info here where they are discussing the same topic:
http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?t=1518001

Norfolk & Idea
Hockenheim

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 7:14 pm    Post subject: Re: How to make a 991.2 turbo sound better without voiding w Reply with quote

k3bab wrote:
I would love to find a way to improve the engine noise of my new 991.2 turbo. The car is superb but just does not sound as good as it should. Much preferred the sound of 997.1 C2S with PSE.

Could someone please recap the possible options (even less conventional ones) and sum up the impact on warranty? I assume any sort of change will void warranty?

I had the exact same thoughts when I bought my 997.2 turbo last year.
I slapped a full Kline system on with magnificent results. No noise low down when pootling about or motorway cruising but bury the accelerator and a glorious howl lets rip. Added an IPD plenum and 9e tune too. It's fabulous.

Warranty void? Probably. Had the engine compression tested prior to the work. All good so I'm pretty relaxed about reliability.

If you car is still covered by a factory warranty you may be able to mod and keep the warranty. Ask your OPC. But the second hand OPC warranty like I've got is ridiculously restrictive.
2008 Vito Sport- Household Star!

911TEL
Imola

2011 Porsche 997 Turbo S

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2016 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

+1 for the Kline innovations exhaust...

I had an Inconel system fitted on my Turbo S recently , bought direct from Felix at Kline, great guy to deal with ....

So , I had the usual reservations about fitting an aftermarket exhaust, even after having mine delivered , I had it on my garage bench for a few weeks deliberating whether it would be a good idea or not.
It looked so good sitting there it was a great conversation piece and was almost an artwork ..!!

....but I trolled the internet & You tube ( E sysman's GT2 RS conversion was played over and over again, to listen to the kline on his !!, I recommend watching that just to appreciate his commitment to his vision) listening to as many Kline systems as possible, the Porsche sound with Kline is still the best imho.....

So , on it was fitted and .........I can thoroughly recommend this exhaust as it transforms the usually muted sound from the Turbo stock exhaust ( although it could be made to howl a wee bit in ' Sport mode' at high revs)

There is no perceptible difference at low speeds, a sound that is comparable to an angry dinosaur when on boost and on the over run , it pops and bangs like a good un......
on my way home after the exhaust was installed , I had the initial feeling that it was delivering a flatter torque ' curve' as it felt like the power delivery was more linear than previously experienced ... I still think that is the case , but only a dyno would truly tell but I will not subject my car to that ...

I love this exhaust, and it must be one of the best mods that can possibly be done to a 997 turbo to improve the sound.

Terry
Brompton M6R Powder Blue/Orange
Brompton S2L Black edition
(All current)

Norfolk & Idea
Hockenheim

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2016 5:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

911TEL wrote:

I had an Inconel system fitted on my Turbo S recently , bought direct from Felix at Kline, great guy to deal with ....

So , I had the usual reservations about fitting an aftermarket exhaust, even after having mine delivered , I had it on my garage bench for a few weeks deliberating whether it would be a good idea or not.
It looked so good sitting there it was a great conversation piece and was almost an artwork ..!!

....but I trolled the internet & You tube ( E sysman's GT2 RS conversion was played over and over again, to listen to the kline on his !!, I recommend watching that just to appreciate his commitment to his vision) listening to as many Kline systems as possible, the Porsche sound with Kline is still the best imho.....

So , on it was fitted and .........I can thoroughly recommend this exhaust as it transforms the usually muted sound from the Turbo stock exhaust ( although it could be made to howl a wee bit in ' Sport mode' at high revs)

There is no perceptible difference at low speeds, a sound that is comparable to an angry dinosaur when on boost and on the over run , it pops and bangs like a good un......
on my way home after the exhaust was installed , I had the initial feeling that it was delivering a flatter torque ' curve' as it felt like the power delivery was more linear than previously experienced ... I still think that is the case , but only a dyno would truly tell but I will not subject my car to that ...

I love this exhaust, and it must be one of the best mods that can possibly be done to a 997 turbo to improve the sound.

Terry

Nice. Your car looks ace. Love the wheels. I plan to go PCCB and gloss black centre hub wheels at some point.

Did you complement your exhaust system with a custom map? And if so what cat option did you take?

AdeD
Nürburgring

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2016 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just change your exhaust, your warranty will be fine, i've had a fair bit of work done on mine under warranty and i have a little more than an exhaust changed. Basically i've been told the warranty will remain in place unless the failed part is due to the modifications you have carried out, i.e. if your gearbox goes and you've lowered the suspension you'll be covered, if your shocks go you won't, which is fair imo...

911TEL
Imola

2011 Porsche 997 Turbo S

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2016 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Norfolk & Idea wrote:
911TEL wrote:

Terry

Nice. Your car looks ace. Love the wheels. I plan to go PCCB and gloss black centre hub wheels at some point.

Did you complement your exhaust system with a custom map? And if so what cat option did you take?

Norfolk,

thanks.. I like the car on the BBS wheels but they are back off again as I found a small rip in the tread of one of the rears , so back onto the turbo II's...

I haven't remapped it at all and do not plan to , I can see how the tuning/ modding bug gets hold though....... its a really slippery slope Terry

Its way quick enough for what I want to do with the car , and I will leave the engine stock.

If I can avioid watching Isysmans GT2 RS mod on youtube , I will leave it as it is for now ...

How do you find yours after your mods ?

Terry
Brompton M6R Powder Blue/Orange
Brompton S2L Black edition
(All current)

Felix_KlineExhausts
Silverstone

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2016 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey guys!

Thx for the recommendations Thumb

Indeed the 991TT.1 and .2 dont have a sport factory option. The sound does change when you are in sport but that's related to the engine management.

You can checkout our exhaust sytem http://www.kline-innovation.com/exhaust-collection/porsche/991-2/991-turbo/

We hundreds of happy customers with 991TT. And most of the 1/4 mile record breaking 991TT's in the worlds carry our system. It's fast, nimble, totally transforms the car and it sounds amazing! Plus you dont need a remap since there are no error codes.

We offer the setup in stainless steel and Formula 1 grade Inconel 625!

Here is a recent 991TT.2 which ran 10.295 SEC on 1/4 mile - STOCK car running just our exhaust with our equal length headers.

https://youtu.be/zvLXldepnLA

Feel free to PM or email me anytime.
Felix@kline-innovation.com

thumbsup

991tt manifolds.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  496.54 KB
 Viewed:  1203 Time(s)

991tt manifolds.jpg

Disco
Paul Ricard

2010 Porsche 997 GT3

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2016 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I understand it, you ought to be fine with the mandatory manufacturers warranty (i.e. the first 2 years) due to European legislation, but after that it becomes an extended warranty at which point they could potentially reject a claim if the part installed was considered to be contributory to the fault that you were claiming for (i.e. anything engine related that isn't a separate ancillary) but they probably won't. The main effect is that once you have aftermarket parts on there they will not allow you to extend the warranty at the end of its term (assuming that you keep the car that long). So if you swap it and it is not to be a long term car for you : keep the old one so that it can be refitted if you sell or may want to trade it in to an OPC in the future.

Happy to be corrected, but I am fairly confident that is where you would stand. So in short - you are probably okay to put shoutier pipes on. Thumb

Black 997 GT3 3.8 CS - Acquired for the 2012 season and beyond
Black 996 GT3 Mk2 - Gone, but will never be forgotten

T8
General
General

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2016 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Disco wrote:

The main effect is that once you have aftermarket parts on there they will not allow you to extend the warranty at the end of its term.

Yeah
ex 1978 Silver 924 Manual

Norfolk & Idea
Hockenheim

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2016 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

T8 wrote:
Disco wrote:

The main effect is that once you have aftermarket parts on there they will not allow you to extend the warranty at the end of its term.

Yeah

That's cool and the gang by me. I wouldn't have renewed anyway. I find it far too restrictive. I bought the car for me and I'll decide what I do to it and improve it from standard.

Norfolk & Idea
Hockenheim

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2016 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

911TEL wrote:
Norfolk & Idea wrote:
911TEL wrote:

Terry

Norfolk,

thanks.. I like the car on the BBS wheels but they are back off again as I found a small rip in the tread of one of the rears , so back onto the turbo II's...

I haven't remapped it at all and do not plan to , I can see how the tuning/ modding bug gets hold though....... its a really slippery slope Terry

Its way quick enough for what I want to do with the car , and I will leave the engine stock.

If I can avioid watching Isysmans GT2 RS mod on youtube , I will leave it as it is for now ...

How do you find yours after your mods ?

Terry

Fair enough Terry,

And yeah, they sure ain't slow standard! The reason I asked regarding a custom map is you say it pops and bangs on over run. It shouldn't do and may be running a bit rich (which is better than lean btw) the pos and bangs could be unburnt fuel hitting the header pipes. Think tiny explosions. Now I might be talking shoite but can't see it doing your turbo's or exhaust gaskets any good. I'd check it out though.
So what's mine like now? It's amazing to be honest. According to the telemetry it's GT2RS quick. I'm planning to upgrade brakes and chassis next. Not cheap though... gumph!! As for power- more than enough. I would challenge any man to bury the throttle and not laugh out loud. It's daft quick.

Norfolk & Idea
Hockenheim

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2016 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Disco wrote:
As I understand it, you ought to be fine with the mandatory manufacturers warranty (i.e. the first 2 years) due to European legislation, but after that it becomes an extended warranty at which point they could potentially reject a claim if the part installed was considered to be contributory to the fault that you were claiming for (i.e. anything engine related that isn't a separate ancillary) but they probably won't. The main effect is that once you have aftermarket parts on there they will not allow you to extend the warranty at the end of its term (assuming that you keep the car that long). So if you swap it and it is not to be a long term car for you : keep the old one so that it can be refitted if you sell or may want to trade it in to an OPC in the future.

Happy to be corrected, but I am fairly confident that is where you would stand. So in short - you are probably okay to put shoutier pipes on. Thumb

Thanks. And yes, this is how I understand it. But I'd add you definitely give OPC wriggle room in a warranty claim if you mod. If you're fixated with warranty I'd keep totally 'factory' pure. Not my bag though.

AdeD
Nürburgring

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2016 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Felix_KlineExhausts wrote:
And most of the 1/4 mile record breaking 991TT's in the worlds carry our system.

I agree your exhausts are excellent but that's quite a claim Felix and tbh a little misleading as the 1/4 mile record holder with the worlds fastest 991TT is tuned by Ekanoo Racing / ESMotor and they use their own exhausts!

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: