Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Quite enjoyed this read

Illuminati Ohio (USA) Chapter member :roll:

I hadn't seen it. Good read. Many true words as well. The values issue, is one well debated here. I find myself questioning what low mileage actually is on a 20 year old car. By rational thinking, averaging 4k miles per year would surely be low mileage. However, 80k is not, objectively a 'low' mileage.

I question how much more values can rise. Values have reached a point where these, niche cars, are out of reach for those on a sensible budget. At £40k plus you'd have to really want a 993 to overlook the plethora of desirable metal available within the same budget.

The wide body cars are more desirable for many but again, are these REALLY £60k and up? They are now but again, these rises surely can't continue, for the same reasons. We are also moving towards legislation set to restrict and penalise the use of old cars that can't meet modern emission standards. This won't affect the sub 10k collector cars. However, where does it leave 'usable' examples?

Most air cooled guys I've met are of a'certain age'. I don't see younger chaps in a 993. It's not like they don't have the means either, maybe they just don't resonate with those more focused on the 'now' than the 'then'.

Combine these factors and, for me, it's pretty clear. This is peak market. If you want to realise top money now is the time to cash in. If you care not for such vulgarity and are in it solely for the experience then this bothers you not a jot!

Even cashing-in on a useable, bog standard 993 one can step into the likes of an Aston Marrtin V8 Vantage (Approved Used), Maserati GT (again, Used Approved with full dealer history- stunning lines on that motor!) and even a brand new Maserati Ghibli (Fiat block, Ferrari assembled).

Okay, okay different beasts from a 993 but you can step into some really fun exotics if you so desired. Let's face it, it's a great dilemma to have :thumb: I even spied a beautiful Gen2 C2S 997 with full OPC history on 17000 miles for 40k. Think that was at Aston Martin Wembley.

I keep on eying up 1932 Ford Low-boy roadsters!! Now that is a world away from a 993!

highway said:
At £40k plus you'd have to really want a 993 to overlook the plethora of desirable metal available within the same budget.

I totally agree but it's been that way for a while. In 2009 I was seriously considering a 993 as my first 911 and nearly bought a very nice one for £24k.

I decided to spend my money on a 5 year newer car which I felt fitted my requirements better.

3.5 years later I could have bought the same 993 but chose to save £5k by buying this.

In 2015 I could have bought the same 993 rather than this.

Great article, the best part though is easily the last bit of the read. 'Heading west of the Mississippi on a road trip'.

That's why old cars have risen in value in so many ways. In an old car you can head out on an adventure. Something a modern car doesn't really do, it just gets you there.

I almost sold mine once to get into an AM Vantage, but I just knew with all its beauty, it just wouldn't rock my boat like an aircooled Porsche (and especially the 993) can do.

Mines at the stage where I need to spend around 3K to keep her on the road next year, I'll find the dosh and I will plan my route over the winter for a road trip to Spain in May. I can almost feel the excitement already of starting her up knowing we have a 2.5k mile trip ahead through the glorious Pyrenees and it's fab quiet roads, with the sound of its aircooled engine echoing off the mountains. True grass roots, motoring nirvana. :)

T8 said:
highway said:
At £40k plus you'd have to really want a 993 to overlook the plethora of desirable metal available within the same budget.

I totally agree but it's been that way for a while. In 2009 I was seriously considering a 993 as my first 911 and nearly bought a very nice one for £24k.

I decided to spend my money on a 5 year newer car which I felt fitted my requirements better.

3.5 years later I could have bought the same 993 but chose to save £5k by buying this.

In 2015 I could have bought the same 993 rather than this.

'Tis indeed a sad tale T8. I'm sure all of us on the 993 forum feel your pain.

Don't give up hope yet! That 993 could be yours next time round. :wink:

madge said:
Don't give up hope yet! That 993 could be yours next time round. :wink:

:hand:

In truth the only time I considered actually buying a 993 was that first time.

I often wonder if I'd have gone that route whether I'd have done the things in it that I have in the kettles.

Having missed the boat at £24k there's no way I'd pay current prices for the same (and 7 year older) car.

T8 said:
Having missed the boat at £24k there's no way I'd pay current prices for the same (and 7 year older) car.

I hear ya chum and neither would I despite making some fair offers :grin:

highway said:
This is peak market. If you want to realise top money now is the time to cash in. If you care not for such vulgarity and are in it solely for the experience then this bothers you not a jot!

I'm holding on to air-cooled as it suits me for the timebeing. If the price drops so what, doesn't bother me either. Lack of use will more than likely make the decision to sell especially if the daily driver delivers everything I want.

On the flip side Big Joe (Jcx) I'm sure hasn't looked back bailing from his 964C2 to put him into a 997.2TT :grin:

yes, a good read, i liked the bit about not using them makes them rot.

They are desirable because they look and sound so nice, and are so quirky and brilliant. I loved them when I first ever saw one as a kid.

new cars cannot claim that.

This thread's brought up an interesting debate, but at the end of the day the decision between spending a lot of money on a 993 over similar priced more modern machinery comes down to how strong your love for classic cars is.

With the 993 being over twenty years old now it has most definitely become a classic, and I know it's a cliche but as the last of the air cooled, groan, it will only ever become more of one. To me in it's narrow bodied non aero form it's one of the most beautiful body shapes there's been, and with the manual box it gives the driver the engaging visceral connection only the older cars can.

It's about design and form over function, not 0-60 in 3. something seconds and handling only explored to the limit on track. As for the later cars to me Porsche completely lost the plot with the 996, a melted jelly mold of a design, they got it back with the 997/991 body shape, but maybe it's a generational thing but as an older guy the modern stuff has little attraction, and way to many of them around for my liking.

A classic car is something that tugs at your heart strings emotionally and gets the pulse racing, not for it's outstanding performance or road holding, but for the ownership experience of running and maintaining a classic, and appreciating a piece of automotive art. Then you have the seat of the pants pleasure of sliding behind the wheel in front of that dash with the black instruments so reminiscent of the early cars, turning the key and hearing the iconic sound of a fan driving flat 6 crank up..... but in a car that's not a museum piece to be wrapped in cotton wool, a classic that can be used all year and that's whats so special about a 993, and to me that's priceless.

Imho of course!

MikeRSR said:
This thread's brought up an interesting debate, but at the end of the day the decision between spending a lot of money on a 993 over similar priced more modern machinery comes down to how strong your love for classic cars is.

With the 993 being over twenty years old now it has most definitely become a classic, and I know it's a cliche but as the last of the air cooled, groan, it will only ever become more of one. To me in it's narrow bodied non aero form it's one of the most beautiful body shapes there's been, and with the manual box it gives the driver the engaging visceral connection only the older cars can.

It's about design and form over function, not 0-60 in 3. something seconds and handling only explored to the limit on track. As for the later cars to me Porsche completely lost the plot with the 996, a melted jelly mold of a design, they got it back with the 997/991 body shape, but maybe it's a generational thing but as an older guy the modern stuff has little attraction, and way to many of them around for my liking.

A classic car is something that tugs at your heart strings emotionally and gets the pulse racing, not for it's outstanding performance or road holding, but for the ownership experience of running and maintaining a classic, and appreciating a piece of automotive art. Then you have the seat of the pants pleasure of sliding behind the wheel in front of that dash with the black instruments so reminiscent of the early cars, turning the key and hearing the iconic sound of a fan driving flat 6 crank up..... but in a car that's not a museum piece to be wrapped in cotton wool, a classic that can be used all year and that's whats so special about a 993, and to me that's priceless.

Imho of course!

An excellent post MikeRSR. Beautifully sums up my thoughts too. :thumb:

I would've agreed with every single word apart from maybe NB vs WB. Although mine is NB I do kinda wish I'd coughed up the extra for WB just for the looks, but that is only my preference and besides the point. Oh, and "can be used all year" - steady on, let's not get too carried away!

Yeh, there's no doubt about it, I would most definitely prefer a WB but it's not going to happen just yet.

For me, the reason I have always been into classic motor cars, can be defined in the image below (not a 993 but you get the point). I HATE the size of cars nowadays. They look as though they've had a round of liposuction. It all started with the MKI Ford Focus; always thought it was massive for a hatch. Not like my old Peugeot 106Gti!

I look back with fondness to my MK3 Truimph Spritfire and 1300 Mini Cooper Sport. Perfectly proportioned cars just like the 993.

Attachments

• img_1445_133.jpg
    img_1445_133.jpg
    100.4 KB · Views: 7,605
:floor: A nicely doctored pic'.

That looks like a bit more than a 7.5" difference in width to me.

The original car looks lovely but the dimensions of the 991 are beautiful too. Personally, given the extra performance available and the safety features included, I can overlook the extra 13" in length.

sports cars are meant to be little things, or they were, it all got big and silly and I find it a turn off, if I want big I will have a mustang 5.0 gt.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
barrywhite
Back