Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

evo Car of the Year 2016

It's great cache for Porsche-
We all know the 911R is a banging hot piece of machinery.........
but I do think it's somewhat silly giving it such exposure in a national car magazine comparison test when as everyone knows you ain't ever gonna own one, drive one, and be lucky to even see one.

The same could be said for the 2 seater Golf club sport that came 2nd- limited to 150 units in U.K.- but at least a Golf R or GTI ain't far off the mark and easily available........what Porsche do you buy instead of a 911R?

991 GTS?

But I suspect that for all the overall silhouette and some styling addenda, the lack of the same characterful (and powerful) engine and all the little handling and feedback nuances means at best you get 60% there.

And that's so far away that it may even be another marque that is truly the best proxy :dont know:

I guess we'll just have to wait on the next gen GT3, but that still feels deliberately unobtainable when Porsche should be imbuing more of the 911R into the 991 Carrera, than characteristics from other manufacturers' grand tourers.

Perhaps there is no way back for the (mostly automatic) forced induction cooking models?

Perhaps in 20 years time CLR will be making lightweight, steel suspension, NA conversions for the 991 :?:

Yeah- Porsche should really include some 911R magic into their standard range........who would honestly get excited about a standard Carrera these days?
I should note these are first world issues.

Any chance with the VW emissions scandal Porsche may not make the next GT3 and GT2 a limit run car and instead sell as many as possible?

carkid said:
Yeah- Porsche should really include some 911R magic into their standard range........who would honestly get excited about a standard Carrera these days?
I should note these are first world issues.

However, on a 911 forum, it is a fully front and centre issue bearing on the existential threat to an icon.

Where the 928 failed, the 991 and its successors may succeed :nooo:

... not that the VW bean-counters care - the shared-platform cash-cows of the Macan/Q5 and Cayenne/Q7 will keep them happy over the current rolling five-year business plan, positively impacting anticipated medium-term group cash-flow projections.

I'm getting serious 911R fatigue at this stage. I've never seen so much way over the top journalistic hyperbole. Epic case of Emperors New Clothes.

Niall996 said:
I'm getting serious 911R fatigue at this stage. I've never seen so much way over the top journalistic hyperbole. Epic case of Emperors New Clothes.

I don't see it the same, the 991R and the Golf both do the same thing with feedback to the driver, the others just pale in comparison. Too much, "trying to hard" from the rest of the competition when all we want is a drivers car.

The ECOTY video this year wasn't as good as 2015. The audio was all wrong. The voices were drowned out by the engine noise, every time a car did a flyby the voices were inaudible. Was really distracting.

I'd agree with that. Also, there seemed to be more focus on the testers instead of the cars. The cars seemed almost like an afterthought. Especially at the end where I think they discussed the bottom few cars, then the top, but then what about the others in the middle? Should have been a lot better, wasn't a very engaging eCOTY this year 3/10

isysman said:
The audio was all wrong. The voices were drowned out by the engine noise, every time a car did a flyby the voices were inaudible. Was really distracting.

I thought it was just my PC that I was watching it on, poor show if they let that get through the edit.

It seemed rushed and probably was, before some jumped ship.

Yeah I watched it on my tv first and when I looked in the comments there lots of people complaining. Watched it again on my computer with good sound set up and it was the same.

Also the cars they talked about they did so in some detail but the winner barely got mentioned. I thought I'd missed it first time round so watched it again but no mention until the end.

A lot of great footage but I think the edit wasn't great.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Atlas.997
Back