Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Windscreen Cleaning Help Please!

Kimbo

Chaps, above is my Cayman windscreen.

I need some help removing the marks the wipers have left. They are not deep scratches caused by no wiper blades, but see to be a pattern deep in the glass.

The 3rd one is taken from outside. I have emphasised the damage by sharpening the photos so you can see what I'm up against.

So far I have tried:

Meguirs Plastic Polish
Greygate Plastic and glass polish
Autoglym Fast Glass
Autoglym Glass polish
Autofinesse Crystal

...on various microfibre cloths, rags and also an electric polisher. No good.

Any tips or help much appreciated.

There are no chips in the screen so I guess I can't get a new one? I had 3 screens fitted in my 993 before they found one that fitted properly, so I'm a bit wary of going down that route.

cheers :thumb:

I've used very fine steel wool in the past. Worked for me, but if you try, I'd try a very small area first.

I accept no responsibility for this tip!

0000 steel wool. I don't know how fine brillo pads are. Did it dry then washed afterwards.

This lot do a glass polishing kit
http://www.glasspolishshop.com/diy-glass-scratch-repair-kit-gp-wiz-system

This is intended to buff out a deep scratch, but they may be able to suggest a kit to do what you are after.

My concern is that if you are looking for optical quality (as glass would be) it is very, very difficult to achieve. I suspect even ultra fine grit or polish that we could apply would still leave a haze that would get on your nerves in sunshine/headlights.

My father in law had a badly scratched windscreen. Lives near a golf course and a golf ball hit it and he got a new one fitted via the Insurance.

Robertb said:
My father in law had a badly scratched windscreen. Lives near a golf course and a golf ball hit it and he got a new one fitted via the Insurance.

I expect there are golf course in East Sussex one could park near, Kimbo? :hand:

DO NOT USE ANYTHING ABRASIVE LIKE WIRE WOOL OR EMERY CLOTH!!!!!!

The windscreen is laminated so that it won't shatter. The outer coating over time gets light scratches and wear on it. If these are too deep, it's impossible to polish out with distorting the glass surface and your vision through it being 'wobbly'.

The only things I would try that has half an attempt at getting light scratches out are either T-cut (most favourable) or Brasso (Duraglit will also do).

Use anything harsher at you peril, use anything weaker for a good work out on your arms.

Personally, I'd be going down the spark plug ceramic bit fired at it (so it chips it), then call your Insurance for a new one. Obviously don't tell them how you chipped it.

CFo said:
Robertb said:

I expect there are golf course in East Sussex one could park near, Kimbo? :hand:

As the ball came to rest on the windscreen wiper, it was still technically in play, so father in law says. Caught a divot unfortunately.

Kimbo said:
Not at all.

I would have tested it on the wife's car first :D
:floor:

Kimbo said:
Blimey, that was close.

Thanks for the link Robert.

What would you reckon on this, Alex?:

http://www.glasspolishshop.com/diy-glass-repair/diy-glass-polishing-kit

Using steel wool on glass is fine.........but you're not using it on glass - you're using it on a car windscreen. Depending on how it's laminated when manufactured, you could damage the outer coating. Personally I wouldn't try anything too harse. Another thing - the wifeey's car windscreen may be totally different to yours so may be ok on hers and not on yours. I once ruined the windscreen of the bird's mondeo with some toothpaste and scotch-brite :nooo:

I've tried several different car glass cleaners, but the one I found to be the most effective one was Windolene 4 action system using disposable kitchen roll, this was recommended to me by the guy who repaired a small chip in my screen a few weeks ago, he said all of the repairers use it, and it's only a couple of quid!!

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smiggles772
Back