Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

991.2 Targa 4S Lead Times

Lasrblueexige

I placed an order on Saturday 12th November at the OPC in Guildford for a 911 991.2 Targa 4s.

During the conversations with the salesman I was told that Guildford OPC, as they were owned by Porsche I could expect more favourable lead times rather than a franchise OPC. I was initially told, based on a November order I could possibly expect a February delivery. To counteract the disappointment of learning I would have to wait three months, which was clear to the salesperson, I was also offered a stock ordered car or more probably, as I suspect, a cancelled order. The car came in the wrong colour and with the wrong options specified. I refused this as I felt spending over a £110k on a car it was important that It matched my exact requirements. Something which Porsche hold key to their overall customer experience.

We then refocused on ordering a new build with a March delivery rather than February as by adding a further month to the delivery time I could take advantage of the new 17 plate. I was then told that, at that stage the dealership had not been given their Porsche allocation for new builds for March deliveries, although they were expecting this in December. Based on this understanding I placed an order and a £5k deposit was placed with the dealership.

Now mid-way through December, I have just had a phone call from the salesperson saying that Porsche AG have not been able to offer them a build slot on a Targa 4s for a March delivery. In fact he was unsure if he would be able to offer anything firm in the May/July timescale either.

Is anybody else experiencing the same with Porsche at the moment as the salesperson also said, to try and placate me, that he had another customer who has a date in 2018 for a C2S Cab....

Is it worth trying another dealer.....or is there something else going on here that I am not seeing.....

Long lead times I get but not even have an understanding of a build slot seems way out of wack....

The truth is your SE won't have a frickin clue.
I've just taken delivery of a Macan GTS. When I slapped down a deposit 10 months ago I was basically told 'no chance' for 24 months. We got one in seven along with every tom, dick and harry.
I'm thinking of trying the same trick with a GT3.
Sorry this is not much help but the point is hang in there.

Hi
Just got my 991.2 from Guildford, although just a regular Carrera.
Ordered on 11 Oct and delivered 30 Nov.
I was able to get the exact spec I wanted and was told it could be had for Dec latest if I ordered within 24 hours.
I suspect it's the Targa bit that is affecting your time slot. I was able to get an S in a similar time if I had fancied the extra 10k cost.

I hate waiting but I figured this is a car I always wanted and having waited 6 months in the 90's for an Impreza it's all relative. :thumbs:
I expected a good 4-6 months initially and they delivered early, so you never know...

Hope it all works out for you.
Well jealous I really wanted a Targa

Some nice cars around if you don't fancy waiting ......

I would stick it out and wait. You could try other dealers and see if any are getting one with the spec you want within the next few months but there will be a queue of others doing the same I guess.

I suspect the once quirky Targa has become somewhat more desirable since it has morphed in recent years to be (IMO) one of the best looking 911s ever made.

I would ring around 2 other dealers and see what they say against each other. Please post update as I would love to see how they complete for your 110k. :)

Well I have sent the following to the dealership's salesperson copying the Sales manager and the Principle today. I will as a matter of pure interest phone up two other OPC's tomorrow to see if they can get it any quicker.

I will continue with my order for the Targa 4s.

I understand the concept behind an extended Lead Time however I still find it difficult to understand why Porsche are unable to offer a build slot on a firm and deposit-taken order.

I have watched with fascination a video of the build process in the Porsche manufacturing plant and it is quite clear that multiple model types can be produced on the same manufacturing line. So the equation here is around order intake versus manufacturing output versus model variation component supply. All elements are within the capability of a professional organisation such as Porsche to estimate a future and realistic build slot.

I know someone that has just received his build to order Carrera from yourselves. He ordered it in Oct and it was delivered at the end of Nov. He was able to get the exact spec he wanted and was told it could be delivered for Dec latest if he ordered within 24 hours. He was also told he could get an S in the same timescales.

So bearing that fact in mind and that Porsche have a multi model production line, why is it that Porsche are unable to calculate when a build slot will be available for my order?

I am stunned that Chris Craft is comfortable knowing that his Sales Execs are put in a position that after a month after taking a sizable deposit from a customer that the best information offered to the exec with regard to a build slot is a very vague 'May – June" ish!

I am sure Porsche can do better than this.

I am not naturally a moaner and in fact I have never made representation of this nature before but I do feel somewhat aggrieved. Specifically that my sizable deposit was hugely sort-after, with a clear indication that a build slot date would be made available to me in Dec. To be clear its not a delivery date but a build slot that I am after and I am also not putting a required date on the build slot either. If that happens to be in the second week of June so-be-it, as I recognise and understand the concept of extended lead times.

Let's see what transpires over the next few days....

There is a long waiting list I was told, this is mine

I know that many would say, having conceptually come to terms with spending over£100k on a car, I would be somewhat biased but I have to agree with Monkeynutz ....IMHO it is the prettiest 911 ever made.

Kryton said:
There is a long waiting list I was told, this is mine

As an update....

Just spoke to another OPC and he has told me that all the dealers have just received their build allocation for the next three months (Dec, Jan, Feb). Except for build to order there are no T4S's being produced for stock for any UK OPC. This effectively excludes me catching a stock car from another dealer. The next earliest build date will be March assuming that my order is high enough up the line otherwise it may fall into the April allocation. Currently the OPCs do not have visibility of the order intake beyond what has already been allocated. It takes 4 weeks from commencement of the build to delivery to the OPC. So the May - June ish delivery quoted by Guildford could be seen as realistic but probably conservative assuming that the build slot does slip into April.

Also the Sales Manager in Guildford phone me a few moments ago following my email and confirmed the above. He also eluded to the fact the T4S is considered as a prestige 911 model by Porsche and hence they throttle the availability which compounds the issue regarding extended lead times. Whilst at the same time protecting the residuals for the owner based on it resultant exclusivity.

Bottom line is sit tight!

002_zpslkj0whup.jpg

Very pretty car :worship:

Lasrblueexige said:
As an update....

Sorry to hear you have to wait longer than you would want to but be happy in the assurance that the wait will be worth it. Not only will you have an absolutely stunning motor but the depreciation will be healthier too ;)

I have had my CS4 gen 2 coupe on order since begining of September, I still do not have a build date but was promised at the time it will be ready for March. I have also not submitted my final spec.

Lasrblueexige said:
As an update....

Just spoke to another OPC and he has told me that all the dealers have just received their build allocation for the next three months (Dec, Jan, Feb). Except for build to order there are no T4S's being produced for stock for any UK OPC. This effectively excludes me catching a stock car from another dealer. The next earliest build date will be March assuming that my order is high enough up the line otherwise it may fall into the April allocation. Currently the OPCs do not have visibility of the order intake beyond what has already been allocated. It takes 4 weeks from commencement of the build to delivery to the OPC. So the May - June ish delivery quoted by Guildford could be seen as realistic but probably conservative assuming that the build slot does slip into April.

Also the Sales Manager in Guildford phone me a few moments ago following my email and confirmed the above. He also eluded to the fact the T4S is considered as a prestige 911 model by Porsche and hence they throttle the availability which compounds the issue regarding extended lead times. Whilst at the same time protecting the residuals for the owner based on it resultant exclusivity.

Good to have my OPC's comments confirmed, and residuals should be good :D

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
race911turbo
Back