Welcome to 911UK
The only place for Porsche, 911uk is the definitive enthusiast and resource site for the Porsche 911.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so join up today for full access to the site and benefit from latest member offers.

Porsche Classifieds
Porsche Buyers Guides
Sell Your Porsche on 911uk
Create a Free Classified Advert
Search Ads
Classified Adverts FAQ
Trade Classified Information
Buyer & Seller Fraud Protection
Pre Purchase Inspection (PPI)
Porsche Car Sourcing
Porsche Cars Wanted
Model
Stock
Porsche 911
991 : 2011- 5
997 : 2004- 71
996 : 1997-2005 50
993 : 1993-1998 9
964 : 1989-1993 2
Carrera 3.2 : 1983-1989 0
Carrera SC : 1977-1983 0
930 Turbo : 1975-1989 0
Early 911 : 1964-1977 2
Porsche Other Models
Classic : 1950-1965 1
Boxster : 1997- 13
Cayman : 2005- 12
Cayenne : 2003- 12
Macan : 2014- 3
Panamera : 2009- 2
912-914-924-928-944-968 4
959 - CarreraGT - RaceCar 1
Car Parts For Sale & Wanted
Other Items For Sale & Wanted
Wheels Tyres For Sale & Wanted
Number Plates For Sale Wanted

Porsche Services
Porsche Body Shop Repair
Paint Protection & Body Wrapping
Porsche Classic Insurance
Porsche Classic Parts
Porsche Classic Restoration
Porsche Design Collection
Porsche Engine Gearbox Rebuild
Porsche Heritage & History
Porsche News
Porsche Picture Gallery
Win a New Porsche 911

Porsche Parts
Body Parts, Body Styling
Brakes, Clearance
Electrical, Exhausts
Engine Cooling, Engine Electrical
Engine Rebuild, Heating Cooling
Interior Incar, Lighting
Rubber Seals, Service Parts
Steering, Suspension
Transmission, Workshop Tools
Early 911, 911 - 930, 928 - 968
964 - 993, 996 - 997, Boxster
Cayman, Cayenne, Panamera

Porsche Model Range
911 [991] 2011-Current
Porsche 911 [991]
911 [997] 2004-Current
Porsche 911 [997]
911 [GT] GT1-GT2-GT3
Porsche 911 [GT]
911 [996] 1997-2005
Porsche 911 [996]
911 [993] 1993-1998
Porsche 911 [993]
911 [RS] RS-RSR
Porsche 911 [RS]
911 [964] 1989-1993
Porsche 911 [964]
911 3.2 1983-1989
Porsche 911 3.2 Carrera
911 SC 1977-1983
Porsche 911 SC
911 [Early] 1964-1977
Porsche 911 [Early]
Boxster & Cayman
Porsche Boxster & Cayman
Cayenne & Panamera
Porsche Cayenne & Panamera

911uk Site Partners

Lasrblueexige
Trainee

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Warburton62 wrote:

Fab spec @Lasrblueexige

Now a few months in, my only suggestion would be to seriously consider a rear wiper. I know it spoils the clean lines, but a couple of mornings/evenings this last month I would have killed for one. The heated RW glass is not very quick/efficient so de-icer spray on board vital if leaving out over night. Did you consider the RS Spyder wheels out of interest?

Thx Warburton

I prefer the style of the RS Spyder Wheels... if I could have had them in bright silver then that's the way I would have gone.....unashamedly, like my bling Smile

Will take your advice on the rear wiper....

6appeal
Nürburgring

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nooooooooooooo!!!!! Please, don't get a rear wiper. I've just done 8,000 miles through Autumn / Winter and literally not once have I ever wished i had a rear wiper.

Forward motion and the heater burns it away in no time at all.

Rear camera is the best solution if you are wanting to see behind for reverse manoeuvring etc.
VW T2 Bay Window 1976

Past:
640d GC, 635d Coupe, RS6 C5, Audi TT 225 Coupe, Astra with wind up windows, Citroen ZX, Rover 213, yes behold, a Rover 213... Renault 5

VAP
Trainee

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

6appeal wrote:
Nooooooooooooo!!!!! Please, don't get a rear wiper. I've just done 8,000 miles through Autumn / Winter and literally not once have I ever wished i had a rear wiper.

Rear camera is the best solution if you are wanting to see behind for reverse manoeuvring etc.

Yep, that also is my own view; no wiper but camera.
Six months into ownership, I've not missed a rear wiper.

Kryton
Monza

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VAP wrote:
6appeal wrote:

Another vote for no rear wiper, it spoils the look of the rear and isn't required

Forrester

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kryton wrote:
VAP wrote:
6appeal wrote:

Another vote for no rear wiper, it spoils the look of the rear and isn't required

Totally agree about no rear wiper. Mine came with one and I've never used it in over a year. Rear camera would have been very useful though. I sometimes have to ask my passenger to help guide me into some of the pathological "pedestrian friendly" car parks around here, where it's impossible to see the raised kerb as I back in. The exhausts are pretty low and it's easy to scrape them on any raised paving.

Fortunately, I've never done that ... yet.

6appeal
Nürburgring

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forrester wrote:

Totally agree about no rear wiper. Mine came with one and I've never used it in over a year. Rear camera would have been very useful though. I sometimes have to ask my passenger to help guide me into some of the pathological "pedestrian friendly" car parks around here, where it's impossible to see the raised kerb as I back in. The exhausts are pretty low and it's easy to scrape them on any raised paving.

Fortunately, I've never done that ... yet.

Camera is excellent... my only recommendation to Porsche engineers is to add either a little wash jet or tiny wiper to the rear camera... Wink if it had that it would be perfection.
VW T2 Bay Window 1976

Past:
640d GC, 635d Coupe, RS6 C5, Audi TT 225 Coupe, Astra with wind up windows, Citroen ZX, Rover 213, yes behold, a Rover 213... Renault 5

T8
General
General

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 1:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

6appeal wrote:

Camera is excellent... my only recommendation to Porsche engineers is to add either a little wash jet or tiny wiper to the rear camera... Wink if it had that it would be perfection.

They haven't managed to add a little wash jet to the rear wiper* so I don't think that's likely to happen. Grin

*actually I do recall it being a very expensive option at one time.
ex 1978 Silver 924 Manual

Lasrblueexige
Trainee

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just had a call from the OPC in Guildford and it looks like Porsche have confirmed a build slot for mid March with a delivery in early April.

Suddenly the boys in Guildford are my best buddies!

They must of had a cancellation as I got an email on the 14th of this month saying that they haven't got visibility of a slot in April. Smile Mr. Green Smile

sideways
Trainee

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lasrblueexige wrote:
Just had a call from the OPC in Guildford and it looks like Porsche have confirmed a build slot for mid March with a delivery in early April.

Suddenly the boys in Guildford are my best buddies!

They must of had a cancellation as I got an email on the 14th of this month saying that they haven't got visibility of a slot in April. Smile Mr. Green Smile
Awesome news thumbsup

Warburton62

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 2:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Soooo, I'm now thinking my heated rear windscreen may be faulty as it most certainly does not "burn" anything off quickly. It takes at least 30 mins to do an effective de-mist, and is useless on external frost. Visit to OPC required I think.

100% on the rear camera, best option ever.

On a positive note, I had totally forgotten that my steering wheel was heated until I found the "secret" button by accident yesterday.

6appeal
Nürburgring

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes that does sound odd, it clears the ice no prob.

Heated steering wheel is awesome, never thought I'd say it but it's more effective than heated seats IMO.

Rear camera is essential as far as I'm concerned.

Must say as my first 911, the performance and certainty in the winter weather is great.

My only slight criticism is that you have to manually turn on the heated wing mirrors. First manufacturer where I've had that. Mirrors are often obscured with water far more than any other car I've had. May benefit from the glass shroud being slightly deeper, or the heater temperature controlled instead?

Has final spec been decided on for the car purchase then now build slot sorted?
VW T2 Bay Window 1976

Past:

Warburton62

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

6appeal wrote:
My only slight criticism is that you have to manually turn on the heated wing mirrors.

Huh Question Never knew that - I really should RTFM Embarassed

Edit. Manual says this:

"Exterior mirror heating is activated automatically when the heated rear window is switched on while the engine is running."

6appeal
Nürburgring

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Warburton62 wrote:
6appeal wrote:
My only slight criticism is that you have to manually turn on the heated wing mirrors.

Huh Question Never knew that - I really should RTFM Embarassed

Edit. Manual says this:

"Exterior mirror heating is activated automatically when the heated rear window is switched on while the engine is running."

Indeed... "activated automatically" is a bit of a play on words when you have to manually switch it on lol.
VW T2 Bay Window 1976

Past:

Lasrblueexige
Trainee

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Things are looking even better. Just heard the build slot has been scheduled for late Feb with delivery planned for late March.

If it were delivered in April the new VED rates would come into play. That would have meant an extra £310 per year for the next five years in addition to the standard rate of £140. Porsche have just saved me £1010 less any increases the government apply during the 5 year period....happy days!!

6appeal
Nürburgring

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent!

what did you decide on spec?
VW T2 Bay Window 1976

Past:

Gorsh
Trainee

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lasrblueexige wrote:
Things are looking even better. Just heard the build slot has been scheduled for late Feb with delivery planned for late March.

If it were delivered in April the new VED rates would come into play. That would have meant an extra £310 per year for the next five years in addition to the standard rate of £140. Porsche have just saved me £1010 less any increases the government apply during the 5 year period....happy days!!

Great news!

How did the driving experience go? How was the manual gearbox? I like the idea of manual, but the 981 has too high gearing on the manual box - are the 991 ratios OK?

Lasrblueexige
Trainee

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 4:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gorsh wrote:

Great news!

How did the driving experience go? How was the manual gearbox? I like the idea of manual, but the 981 has too high gearing on the manual box - are the 991 ratios OK?

The driving experience was just brilliant I really enjoyed the day. It gave me the opportunity to do stuff I would never want to learn or do on the open road in any car let alone a 100 grand Porsche. It's not a track day as the two circuits have been designed to imitate country roads and of course you also have a variety of skid pan areas as well.

Most of my fast driving has been done in a hugely modified Lotus Exige and my experience has been mainly everything the Alps has to offer. Some 45k miles over the last 15 years if I were to think about it.. So the two circuits that Porsche had created were very much up my street.

I had read a lot of bad press about the gearbox and was really quite concerned that I was making a huge mistake not going for the PDK. so the Driving experience was really understanding what the manual was like rather than getting comfortable with the PDK as a manual is really where my heart is. In addition having driven a 997.1 C4S on a manual for the past five years I was interested in the difference with the gearbox to the 991.2. Although I see the box on the 997 as ok I wouldn't classify it as exceptional. The gear throw is long and a bit loose compared to the short throw I have on the Exige.

Well I am not sure what all the fuss is about and why folk don't like the manual on the 991. Considering I haven't driven one before I didn't have a misplaced gear all day. The throw was short and light with a good feeling of engagement. I never had any doubt which gear I was in. Admittedly I never got beyond 4th but I never got lost in the box.

Towards the end of the session I was really getting into my stride and focussing on trail braking, drifting the rear end whilst exiting corners ( something that is not hugely recommend on an Exige on high mountain passes)and other such new skills. The gearbox was the furthest from my mind which made it good in my eyes. I simply did not have a problem in anything I wanted it to do and just didn't have to think about it. People complain about the gate on 7th well I can't think when I last did a block change from 6th to a lower gear. I always prefer to heal and toe down through each gear. I am driving a sports car for heavens sake not a VW Polo.

The clutch, well that is considerably lighter than the 997 C4S. Which I know is heavy but has never really caused me an issue. The pedals seem to be slightly better positioned than on the 997.1 as the heal and toeing was not the angled affair it is on the 997 but more of an in line angling of the foot as it is on the Exige. My preferred technique. The car I drove wasn't fitted with Chrono so auto blip functionality wasn't there. With Chrono fitted my instructor was certain that is was switched off in normal mode but was unsure if it was something you could dial out on Individual mode. Time will tell.

So in summary I am now not concerned that I have made a mistake. The PDK is an outstanding gearbox, I accept that, but IMHO it slightly detracts from the raw engagement with the car something which I personally realish in the driving experience.

Finally and I am conscious that I have rambled on, the Exige is the only car that I have ever felt that I strap it on rather sitting in it. The 991.2 is the second such car. I never felt that in the 997.

Lasrblueexige
Trainee

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 4:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

6appeal wrote:
Excellent!

what did you decide on spec?

Same as page 2 but with the reversing camera. I opted not for the rear wipe due the look and the fact the car is garaged every night.

Roll on March....

Gorsh
Trainee

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the great write up on your driving experience. I went there for my BGTS experience and I also enjoyed it - learned a lot about the car and also my ability! Managed the trail brake and power out of the corners though - great increase in exit speed!

If you got into 4th the ratios can't be that high so the manual sounds good.

Lasrblueexige
Trainee

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gorsh wrote:
Thanks for the great write up on your driving experience. I went there for my BGTS experience and I also enjoyed it - learned a lot about the car and also my ability! Managed the trail brake and power out of the corners though - great increase in exit speed!

If you got into 4th the ratios can't be that high so the manual sounds good.

Thank you....

I think the car will pull over 100 mph in 3rd and with all that torque you can drive it virtually as an automatic if you are so inclined. I have always been a bit sensitive in abusing an engine unnecessarily. With all that linear torque you can use the gears without having to absolutely red line the engine in every gear and still have a massively spirited drive.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: