Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Advice on cleaning engine and suspension parts

Hi, so I picked up my GT3 today and got her back to the workshop, as expected the underside is in pretty good state, needs a damn good clean, but has been well looked after. However, the engine, gearbox and aluminium suspension components are some what dirty and have light surface corrosion.

I wondered if anyone had any tips on the best way to clean this off, I have a pressure washer but made not much impact, and although I know the answer is really lots of elbow grease and some wire brushes, just thought I would see if anyone has any methods I may have not thought of and any really good products to recommend?

I may hire a steam cleaner to give it once over, I found this http://www.frost.co.uk/car-autobody...eaner-degreaser-por15-marine-clean-946ml.html

and this http://www.bilthamber.com/car-cleaning-and-degreasing/surfex-hd

online - has anyone used either?

I was going to have a go at the engine casings with a drill and some wire brushes, seems the only way to get in to all the crevices....just wondered what the pros do when they clean an engine up....

Whatever you do don't set to it with power tools! :what: :wack: :mrgreen:

I cleaned up my 996 Turbo,997 GT3 and now my Boxster using muc off motorcycle cleaner which brings up alloy and plated finishes a treat if worked in with a stiff nylon brush and doesn't damage the original finish. :thumb:

I would suggest a stiff brush rather than power tools, you can do a lot of damage very quickly with a power tool. Let the chemicals do the work for you. The brush should be softer than the surface being cleaned to avoid damaging it.

I have used Surfex HD to clean out a gunged up fuel tank on a race kart that had sat with petrol in for a few years, dealt with all the gunge. Took a bit of time but cleaned it all up and apparently not damaging to the environment either.

Spent about 4 hours on it today, its going to be slow work.....worked on the front suspension components and wheelarches. I removed the undertray and while its not corroded, which is great, it is pretty dirty and there been applied some kind of anticorrosion sealer , which is very difficult to remove. Now, before anyone says why remove it, its very dirty and makes the car look unsightly under there and I wont be driving it in the rain or winter, and will be cleaning it every time I drive it underneath as well, so will use some less sticky and messy coating such as boeshield or GT85 on all the ally underneath. Any tips to remove the sealer?

Gunk and other Halfords stuff does not make much impression on the mess, but I have tried a soft brass wire brush on the drill, and it does a good job without damaging the aluminium surface. However, its pretty tricky to get everywhere due to lack of space....I have also had some good results with metal scouring pads, but it hard on the hands and my back standing under the car.....

Have ordered some special aluminium cleaner from Frost's as well as some of the por15 marine clean, so will see what they do.

Have you looked into dry ice cryo blasting, might cost a bit but will save on serious elbow grease? The results on the underside of mine worked pretty well >see half way down here<
:thumb:

Wow.....seriously impressed with that result ( and your car... :worship: :worship: just beautiful, love that colour...)

How did you get that done, did you have to take it somewhere, or did they come to you? If so, who did you use? I could not see the answer in your thread....

Thanks

Wow.....seriously impressed with that result ( and your car... :worship: :worship: just beautiful, love that colour...)

How did you get that done, did you have to take it somewhere, or did they come to you? If so, who did you use? I could not see the answer in your thread....

Thanks

Thanks. It was carried out as part of the pre collection prep' work. Had all the liners and under trays off whilst sorting the arch and sill gravel rash areas out so most of the pre blasting preparation was done. I never found out who did the blasting although did request...must be a trade secret lol :roll: There are a few companies if you do a search online who could advise more. You'll need the car on a lift too and a clear wax to spray on after :thumb: Another thread here
http://www.911uk.com/viewtopic.php?t=114497&highlight=dry+ice

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cooper9000
Back