Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

997.1 GT3 to 991GT3

evodarren

I'm thinking of changing my 997.1 gt3 to a 991 Gt3
I have driving my mates 991GT3RS only when new so he was running it in. I'm concerned I may miss the old school feel of my 997 version. I do love the manual gearbox in mine. Have anyone upgraded and what are you views.
Thanks Darren

Send a PM to nick w
He currently owns both :)

Thanks T8, I was looking for that thread but could not find it... and that's why I'll never make captain :)

I have been thinking about this as well recently. Mod the GT3 or buy a 991 GT3.

Either that or buy a 599 lol

I briefly considered similar last year (trading to a pdk GT3) but decided against it. I decided I value the manual gear changes more on a weekend car than I would an auto

I now get my flappy paddle fix via the wife's Smart car which is just as fast as a 991 GT3*

*Not entirely factually accurate, but true 90% of the time :grin:

I've been considering the switch from turbo to GT3.
My budget will get me into a 997.2 GT3 or base spec with extra miles 991 GT3.

I'm sure I won't be disappointed with either...however..
My head is saying 997.2 will hold the value better than the 991. However I prefer the look of the 991 and I think I would prefer the accessible performance with the PDK??

This is where I am at....

For
Less made
Last mezger engine
Last manual GT3???

Against
Heavy clutch
You got to redline to get close to Turbo speed
IMHO not as good looking as 991

For
Accessible performance
More useable for road trips, easier to drive
Better looking
Nicer interior
Better performance

Against

More made
Engine issue (although fixed by Porsche)
No manual option
Less involved and raw than 997

Will a 991 Gt3 always command more than a 997????

descisons......descisions.....

Your list of pluses and minuses is an interesting one! Personally I love the look of the 997.2 and prefer the interior as I think it feels m="more 911" than than the more corporate feel of the 991 interior. I think the 991 is the more rounded car though and probably might get used more.

The one thing I do think though is that a 997.2 will be worth more than a 991.1 in the future. Many less made and I don't think the current fascination with manual gearboxes is going away. I also think the 991.1 is likely to suffer in comparison to the 991.2...but we'll know the answer to that much better within the next week.

Good spec 997.2 don't hang around for more than a day or two...JZM has a lovely CS recently which sold within hours for £120k IIRC. Although you could say that of any Porsche model at the moment...good spec cars just sell.

i'd say go and try both.

Putting ± on paper never works for me !

some things you just can't quantify.

I've not owned a .2 997 GT3;
had a MK1 9965 GT3 & a Mk1 997 cup.
now have a 991 GT3 CS pack

I don't think I'd go back to a 997.

As for the interior on the 991 - personally I prefer it massively over the 997.
again, it's just personal preference

the 991 has a unique ability to me - I can drive it for 100's miles just like a regular 991, auto PDK mode, nice comfy suspension (seriously!) great seats etc, but get on the right roads / track move to manual, press couple of buttons,and it just changes character.
I like that :)

I did a similar thing a few months back thinking when 991.2 hits market 991.1 would make a good buy. Then realised that you would have to maintain warranty on the 991.1 due to the engine issue and therefore wouldn't be able to mod for hard track work. That put an end to my 991 GT3 thoughts.

I thought the engine issue had been resolved?
various dealers have told me that ALL engines were replaced in full on cars that were supplied with the launch power plant.

The problem being a connecting fixing on the connecting rod?

To quote dealer.

All engines are now the new design and are 100%, this will not affect residuals.

jotaking said:
I thought the engine issue had been resolved?
various dealers have told me that ALL engines were replaced in full on cars that were supplied with the launch power plant.

The problem being a connecting fixing on the connecting rod?

To quote dealer.

All engines are now the new design and are 100%, this will not affect residuals.

Would you be happy to run a 991.1 GT3 without a warranty? Personally I wouldn't I've heard of cars on 7th engine. So imv it does effect my division making.

Just wiping coffee off my computer screen!!

7 engines!!! I think I would have given it them back on the 2nd!!

Are these really that bad?

I have heard of a few instances where there has been catastrophic failure?

I was led to believe that Porsche had just manned up and said....we want everything back, faulty or not for a new engine? And that was that?

Is there a thread for the multiple engine debacle?

jotaking said:
Against

More made
Engine issue (although fixed by Porsche)
No manual option
Less involved and raw than 997

Will a 991 Gt3 always command more than a 997????

descisons......descisions.....

Oh - you can keep going on that IMHO...

I don't even like the rear steer on the 991 from the passenger seat at track speeds and given how it works and where the actuators sit it is virtually guaranteed to either wear out or fail sooner or later (I have heard second hand stories of alarming amounts of play in the system at modest mileage with Porsche saying that it is perfectly normal and not a warranty job to sort).

The 997 isn't only the end of the Mezger derivative line, but also the last narrow bodied 911 track car. For all of its easy road manners the 991 GT3 has an appreciably larger footprint when you are on a narrow road or need to park it.

Everything about owning the 991 is more expensive - brakes, tyres, servicing, etc...

Unlike the 997, you cannot do the vacuum cap trick to force a 991 to use all 3 silencers at 3/4 max rpm in order to reduce the noise for a static noise test on track days. [911s are often fine on driveby noise but struggle with low static tests due to the proximity of the engine to the noise meter]. The 991 is also louder out of the box too.

The 991 engine reliability continues to be questionable. I have had quite a few conversations with 991 GT3 owners who have had serious gremlins and multiple engine replacements (even after the design was supposedly fixed) in entirely too low mileages and negligible age. The long term may turn out to be better, but existing owners have well and truly put me off of them personally. If you are thinking long term then you could potentially extend at least a question mark over the e-diff and gearbox too, so only the bravest or wealthiest owners would even entertain running one out of warranty.

Will a 991 continue to hold strong residuals? Maybe - they brought in far more of them than any other GT3, but the market for a jam-friendly easy to drive car is much larger than the traditional GT3 niche so it may or may not hold : we can only speculate.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smiggles772
Back