Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Saw an old friend at the weekend

MilSub

I couldn't console them, they were in bits .. ..

Attachments

• img_6671_101.jpg
    img_6671_101.jpg
    487.7 KB · Views: 4,564
  • img_6677_930.jpg
    img_6677_930.jpg
    478 KB · Views: 4,564
  • img_6678_115.jpg
    img_6678_115.jpg
    428.3 KB · Views: 4,564
  • img_6687_190.jpg
    img_6687_190.jpg
    516.6 KB · Views: 4,564
  • img_6683_699.jpg
    img_6683_699.jpg
    356.4 KB · Views: 4,564
A fairly hefty invoice looming there methinks! Good work that man!

I spy with my little eye something beginning with scope creep :eek:

Looks like it'll be good for a few years after this lot!

How bad were the chassis legs? I see there's lots of wax applied now.

Thanks Chris - I must admit I'm not looking forward to the final bill, thats for sure! :roll:

Dom, in a word BAD .. even after the engine & gearbox was removed and the full length of the legs could be seen, once the work started the amount of corrosion went a lot further forward than first thought and additional work had to be done :eek:

You are right about the scope creep, my plan was "do it all" or don't bother with any of it and as I love the car, I now know that <hopefully> there won't be too many unforseen bills over the next 10 years or so apart from consumables and servicing and I can just relax knowing it's all done and drive the car as much as possible ..

I spy with my little eye something beginning with scope creep :eek:

Looks like it'll be good for a few years after this lot!

How bad were the chassis legs? I see there's lots of wax applied now.

tbh once the engine is out i would do the same, no point putting it off. plugs, leads, caps, rotor arm, clutch, release bearing, camchain covers etc.
take a hit in one go and you have 60-70k worth of trouble free motoring then.
be interested to hear what the final bill is, we could set up a crowd funding page :)

ChrisT70 said:
tbh once the engine is out i would do the same, no point putting it off. plugs, leads, caps, rotor arm, clutch, release bearing, camchain covers etc.

Dead right .. the clutch was a no-brainer as although there was life left in it, at some point in the life of that clutch, it had overheated and blued. One rear shock was leaking, so I looked at replacing the rear shocks, only to find that Porsche recommend replacing front and rears together (what a surprise) and I didn't need too much persuading to decide to replace the lot with B8's and new M033 springs 8)

Same thing with the brakes - they had life in them, but would have needed doing sooner rather than later so new disks and pads all round.

It's all the little things that add up - ultrasonic cleaning of fuel injectors, plating of fasteners, vapour blasting of fan & fan housing (very indulgent I know, but "while you are in there")

The crowd funding idea sounds like a great idea! :worship: 8)

........ Tony ....... :worship:

....... we all must be mad ....... :?:

its got 8k to 10k written all over it, change all the fuel lines and brake lines whilst the engines out.

madalaa said:
........ Tony ....... :worship:

....... we all must be mad ....... :?:

Andy .. as you well know these firkin cars get under your skin don't they!! :D

Palladium said:
its got 8k to 10k written all over it, change all the fuel lines and brake lines whilst the engines out.

You are nearly half way there .. .. :what:

Palladium said:
its got 8k to 10k written all over it,

:eek: Good work chum don't fight it. I'll excuse you the winter laying up period :grin:

kevsta said:
:agree:

Sterling work there, literally! :bow:

Thanks Kev!

I admire you, must be great having a rebuilt old car.

one of these days I am going to get a total restoration car.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Silage
Back