Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

wrapping 996 seat backs and centre console

skinny_monkey

Hi all,

looking to colour code the backs of my newly acquired GT3 comfort seats (i think they're similar to, if not the same as, normal sports seats?).

Anyway, figured wrapping would be a lot easier than painting (i don't have much patience for prep) and wondered if anyone on here has done it too - i'm looking to get it body coloured.

Are there suppliers who can knock me up some vinyl in ocean blue (especially if i only want a small amount)? I'm thinking of a roll 3m by 1.5m, should be enough for two seats plus centre console? I've had a look online but most seem to offer standard colours.

Also, how does vinyl wrapping take to teh complex contours on teh centre console, is it stretchy enough for me to do in a single piece without cuts or bunching?

Finally, how much do i need to prep the surface? if there are light surface marks in the plastic (for example around the window switches) do i need to smooth these off perfectly as i would for paint? and will the vinyl stick to the funny coating on the back of the seats?

Any tips appreciated!! i'll try and take pics as i go along in the even that it's a success. (figure it's more reversible than paint too, in case i mess it up :D )

Lastly, i want to replace the hooks on the back with a little coloured crest as i'm sure i've seen elsewhere. Any ideas where to get some? i've only seen monochrome metal ones, or black ones, from porscheshop but both look a bit plasticky to me...

If you are looking into taking them apart... Look into hydro dipping :thumb:

I was thinking of trying myself first as I can probably get the vinyl for £30. If it looks pants then dipping is a good option, forgot about that!

Did you ever do this or go down a different route? Any pics?

Sorry for late reply. I got them painted in the end - seat backs only.
Got my painter guy to do it in the genuine porsche paint. Not cheap (£300) but a good job.

Would like to do centre console but my painter advised getting a spare and letting it cure for a long time before then clear coat wrapping to protect it.

Will try to get a few pics up

Looks great :thumb: Is that Ocean Blue or Midnight Blue?

Thanks!

Ocean blue, didn't go out looking for that colour but really like it now

Painted seatbacks look lovely :thumb:

I asked a car wrap place about wrapping them, as I also assumed that it could be easier (cheaper?) than painting....

He said "did it once, never again !!"

Because the wrapping process requires a heatgun to apply the vinyl, seat has to be removed and disassembled anyway. Heat no good near leather, electrics etc :eh!: So it can be done, but wouldn't work out cheaper or less aggro than painting

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
qdunrpvcxsty
Back