Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

looking for 964 cylinder heads

adrian993

Monza
as said... my 964 that i just bought has its engine open for a rebuild and the heads are too far gone to reuse

trying to look for decent set from someone who has upgraded to better goodS!

please let me know thank you very much :worship: :worship: :worship:

What's wrong with the heads? Are you rebuilding the engine again on Ray's old motor as he had the heads fully refurbished iirc.

Yes the engine being rebuilt - the cylinders have been machined before but the ceramic liner is very worn, cracked or disappeared in some places. They could probably go for a bit more but since the engine is out and disassembled I don't think it's the best choice to put heads in that won't go for another 100k miles

Quite normal to see some ceramic missing and it has no negative effect. Only new heads from Porsche will truly solve that problem if that's a worry to you. Second hand heads will all be showing wear. Ironic that if you did get new heads the guides in the old heads will be better than the new heads. The company that did those heads are very reputable and would not have done the work if the heads were not serviceable.

Yes they were done by a good shop but I will be doing some extra beadwork this time around so they will be recut anyway, so evaluating what to do.

Current heads have 160k and if there is a fresher set of heads at half the mileage uncut or even better try later type that could fit the bill it would be ok

Just hoping there is such a set lying around, maybe from someone who went billet heads i guess

Not sure mileage is any guarantee of better heads tbh Adrian. The only wear parts have already been addressed on those original heads no matter what extra work you may intend doing. I would be wary of claims the heads are no good and then a good set are magically found by the builder. Still not convinced? Send them back to the head shop and get their opinion.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lb456
Back