Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Thinking of returning to the fold..........

bigfella70

Monza
Hi folks

Been a couple of years since I parted with my 993 and find myself thinking about a 991. Been to view the below car at local OPC and very impressed.

http://locator.porsche.com/ipl-cust...l?md5=44555af21bd03980b6ef188cf7c2c06e&url=uk

Enjoyed the manual box , but understand they have mixed reviews. Only criticism is the clutch pedal has a slightly unusual feel in the the last inch or so upon release feels quite "loaded". Tried another car in the showroom and that seemed similar.

Nothing I would't get used to. Car is on 53k miles and wondered what the average life span of a clutch is on the 991.

I'm not in a rush and prepared to take my time choosing, ny comments and advice greatly appreciated !

Cheers.

Dave.

Get error from that link

Apologies, link should be working now :thumb:

Purely because of the mileage that's an awful lot of car for the money but it'll take while to average that mileage out.

53k is more like 7 years normal mileage for a 911.

will the depreciation taper a bit, assuming that's a 30-ish grand car in 3 yrs time even with 90k miles on it? I dunno, I can't work the market out on these cars! I am guessing and think if you want a nice car and want to drive the pants off it that would be the one to do it with.

as for clutches no clue, they are a lottery depending on the last owner or the type of miles done I guess

Certainly got me thinking !

Really like the 991's and it would be used regularly but not doing excessive mileage. Probably about 10k a year max.

I'm buying for myself but still have half an eye on when I want to move on - higher miles and manual 'box would obviously affect interest and values.

I actually found the gearbox fine however just noted the unusual feel to the clutch pedal with the spring loading on the last inch or so of travel. Wasn't helped by the pedal creaking a bit when depressed and released - I'm sure a drop of oil would ease that or maybe the pedal bush needs changing.

Car had already received the 100 and odd point check which I do take with a pinch of salt on a sale car, however it comes with OPC warranty until Feb '19 and just been serviced with spark plugs, brake fluid change etc.....

Surprised the door mirrors aren't power folders, although the car was an OPC demo car when new it's been specced in some areas and other bits missing. Again I am not overly fussed about that though !

It will still be as fast as my recently purchased 997 C4S, sound awesome, drive brilliantly and look the nuts. Had that car been at the OPC when I bought mine the other day I think I would have struggled to decide between the 2 given they are similar money. In 3 years time both with 30k miles added I wouldn't be surprised if the 991 would still achieve a higher resale value than my 997 although as I said before I can't work the market out on these cars. I can't see there being a lot in it though. :dont know:

Objectively (as my Mrs now constantly reminds me) it would probably be wiser to pop down to another German manufacturer and spend half that sticker price on a well sorted 2 year old car but where's the fun in that ;)

Have you tried the PDK on the 991? I find it brilliant and when you need to, you can use the steering paddles. No need to worry about the clutch either as i think the clutch on the PDK are bullet proof. If you can stretch to a 3.8S as it much better drive. Also see if you can get one with sports chrono as well.

Not tried PDK although I am happy with a manual in principal and quite like the idea as a change from my everyday driver which is an auto (L322 RangeRover TD6). Appreciate the PDK is in a different league but the manual is of interest to me.

Being manual, 3.4 and higher miles (53k) is keeping the price down hence falls within my budget , whereas 3.8 , PDK and lower miles would elevate the price out of range.

It's keeping my mind ticking over just weighing up the pros and cons :?:

A 991 C2 manual with those sports options for £50k, what's not to like, especially with a 2 year Porsche warranty :thumb:

I know you want manual, but to compare, Northway have a red 991 C2 PDK for £56k with 16k miles on the clock, doesn't have sports seats but has a nice sports spec apart from that. If you're adding 10k miles a year, in 3 years you'd have average miles 7 year old with PDK, not a bad place to be IMO.

With the OPC car, whilst you might get whacked for the mileage, manual and not being an S in 3 years time, you never know, maybe there could be some downward movement on that £50k, especially the nearer to Christmas we get :bandit:

All good points, it's very tempting! Will mull it over and could always consider a cheeky offer if I decide I want to go for it :thumb:

I'm surprised OPC are selling it with the high miles. It must be very tidy :dont know: It does however have most of the extras most buyers want to that's a selling point. However down the line trying to shift one with high miles aint :what:

If you want manual, fine but the masses seem to want PDK as it is so good and that's the way I'd go. Plus if you really want the 'S' will you be satisfied with the 3.4?

Northway car sounds good, mileage is spot on, their reputation/warranty is good and you can try to negotiate something off to pay the extra and get the 2yr OPC warranty as it's cast iron :grin: That said buying from OPC is an experience (you pay for) and gives reassurance plus that car does look good in white :thumb:

You might find a phone call to Mark Pearce of Stirlings (sponsor on this forum) may clarify things for you.

Tel: 07836 609 040 or 01736 757 755

He deals in low mileage Porsche cars, knows the market and will give you a trader's considered view on your intended purchase as well as clarify mileage concerns.

cheshire911 said:
You might find a phone call to Mark Pearce of Stirlings (sponsor on this forum) may clarify things for you.

Tel: 07836 609 040 or 01736 757 755

He deals in low mileage Porsche cars, knows the market and will give you a trader's considered view on your intended purchase as well as clarify mileage concerns.

:thumb: :agree:

Gents thank you for your advice, one of my reasons for seeking out another 911 is the great support and advice available through this site . All adds to the overall ownership experience and hobby.

Will certainly give Mark a call !

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Max V
Back