Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

hollow spokes

LSDFJ00

Trainee
To all my learned friends on here...

I know there is much debate about the merits of various wheels and sizes for the 993.

What are your thoughts on a set of 18'' hollow spokes I have an opportunity to buy ?
My car is a 993 C2 manual coupe N/B.
The wheels are Porsche 993 18" Hollow Spoke Alloy Wheels Rare Technology Twist 10J & 8J Set
Will they fit a N/B without need of spacers etc. ?
Will they be advantageous in terms of weight and handling over my current set of solid turbo twists ??

What is the going rate for these hollow spokes these days?

All the best

Good fresh furbed sets can go for anything between £2k to £3k nowadays.

Re spacers, I am told that you need some spacers on the track rod ends to stop the tyres fouling on the arch liners when you put hollow spokes on NB cars, as the rolling radius is a bit bigger. I never did this mod myself, as the hollow spokes were on the car when I bought it, but I think it's a fairly common mod.

olivers said:
Re spacers, I am told that you need some spacers on the track rod ends to stop the tyres fouling on the arch liners when you put hollow spokes on NB cars, as the rolling radius is a bit bigger. I never did this mod myself, as the hollow spokes were on the car when I bought it, but I think it's a fairly common mod.

Not as long as you have the correct offset. You need a brace on the C4 steering though.

The OP has a MY1996, so factory ready for 18s.

There are three states of wheel compatibility (and it applies equally to 2WD and AWD Carrera):

MY1994 and earlier are NOT approved for 18" wheels.
MY1995 can be fitted with 18"s if TSB retrofit actioned.
MY1996 onwards are 18" ready from factory.

For MY1995 only, 18" wheel upgrades should have TSB 640496 approved support brackets fitted (the larger wheels/tyres apply greater forces to the steering and suspension systems).

See here:

http://www.pcarworkshop.com/images/5/54/Installing_18_iNCH_wheels_1996_640496.pdf[/quote]

I think the "94 MY" don't get approval because there was no 94 MY in the USA... so they approved 95 onwards because that's all there was. Here's the actual TSB, you make your own minds up...

PS/Edit: Apologies, I didn't see that GT4 had posted the link to this TSB directly above.

Attachments

• tsb_installing_18_inch_wheels_1996_640496_306.pdf
    151.5 KB · Views: 110
Tobesetc said:
I think the "94 MY" don't get approval because there was no 94 MY in the USA... so they approved 95 onwards because that's all there was?
+1
:thumb:

steeep

kevsta said:

Wow, i hadn't realised they were that steep now. Makes me worry where i park it up now.

Can't imagine coming back to a car stacked on bricks..

I think there's a big difference in regard to what sellers are advertising them at and what they actually sell for.
Personally I think the MY02 Wheel looks better on the 993, it's also lighter and they can be picked up for hundreds, not thousands. ;)

C.

Tobesetc said:
I think the "94 MY" don't get approval because there was no 94 MY in the USA... so they approved 95 onwards because that's all there was. Here's the actual TSB, you make your own minds up...

:eh!: That is the "actual" TSB I linked above

The point is you said "You need a brace on the C4 steering though"

Which is not accurate for two reasons:

Most vehicles don't need the bracket
But when they do, both C2 and C4 are affected (which was not the implication of you singling out the C4)

In term of no US MY94, my statement was universal (so RoW inclusive)

Why would I have only spoken about the US only models? AFAIK the laws of physics are the same both sides of the pond :dont know:

The TSB is a "Porsche Cars North America" document, designed to cover Porsche against our litigous cousins across the pond. It at no points mentions "MY94". It is a US-centric doc, not ROW.

Your point about C4 & C2 is correct, I mis-remembered that from my previous research. C4 distinction retracted.

The TSB may be the US version (that's because freedom of information is better, and my German is poor), but the requirement is true of all 993s.

As I say, the laws of physics are the same (and in any case Porsche AG manufactured all RoW/US models as per the TSB from MY1996)

kevsta said:

I think for the Turbo offsets this is true. NB offsets are cheaper.. Also Genuine 993 hollows demand a premium. A lot of the 18" turbo twist hollows going around on sale are 996 wheels..... Not that that is a bad thing.... I think the fronts are a different width.

Personally I swapped my Solids for hollows and on the car it made no difference to me.. Getting them on and off the car was a different matter. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mkrt1972
Back