Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Cayenne - new buyer advice

Rob325114

The time has come to compliment the 911 (Hartech C2S 997) with something slightly bigger - an impending life event forces this.

I have been eyeing up Cayenne Diesel models in the 2011-2013 range, both in V6 and V8 spec. I have been speaking to the OPC, but wanted to get some real world feedback from owners/knowledgeable people who can provide me with some honest feedback:

- What sort of real world MPG do you get from both models?
- Are there any major faults that need to be watched out for with this year/model (an IMS or Bore scoring type issue)? Reading through this forum, most of the mechanical issues seem to relate to the Gen 1, with the Gen 2 suffering mainly electrical issues
- What options are a must?
- If you're feeling spirited, will the V6d let you down for performance? There's only soo far I can push the car on a test drive ;)

Many thanks!

Rob,
I bought a Cayenne V8 4.2 diesel to replace a Range Rover Sport and it has been an absolutely fantastic vehicle.i cannot fault it in any technical way, my only gripe is about the tailgate which when opening allows the rainwater to pour into the boot and the rear retractable shelf( small petty gripe)
Better in many ways than the RRS but admittedly I'm a bit more precious about the Cayenne than the RRS , where I used to storm anywhere in the RRS , I'm more careful in the cayenne , but that's because it's a more expensive purchase I guess.

It is a great car on the road and surprises most when a wee turn of speed is required.
It feels totally stable and very comfortable in all modes , comfort/ sport & sport plus ... Admittedly a bit more of a monster in sport plus and it likes to sup the diesel a bit more in SP.

It's returning an easy 35 mpg of Shells best diesel... And more on a long easy run...
I have seen no major faults or any actually , apart from , on my car it seems to feather the front tires a bit on the outer edges but this may either be my driving style or the fact the tracking was just within the limits set by Porsche .... The has now hopefully been adjust to tighter limits , so worth keeping an eye on that ..

I have a mate who has the V6 and he loves it too and finds it plenty powerful enough

Summing up , it's a great car despite what many would say about it ( ugly, not a real 4x4) ...I love it , it's a great all rounder ..

I can recommend it , for sure ..

Terry

Oops ..double post ...what a kn08...!

T

Rob,

We've got a Platinum Edition V6d - the run out Gen 1's, so some options added 'as standard'. It replaced a 997.2 C2s which we'd had a load of problems with. One of many loaners was a KN, and we were also changing an everyday car, so we got this.

Real life mpg - overall from last 4/5 months is 38.7. My motoring is probably 18 mile round trip twice a week shopping, and then some longer M-way runs as well. With a straight forward run sticking to 70 and not hammering the acceleration etc it will do 42mpg. Push it a bit on the M-way and it drops back to just sub 40mpg. I'm not that heavy footed - most of the time!! The shorter runs are mid 30's

Did a 1600 mile road trip with Porsche Club colleagues round the champagne region in France and then to Classic Le Mans this summer. Quickish runs but not hammering it gave 36 ish 2 up. Part way through tour a colleague had a car issue so we became 4 up with luggage (plus anothers champagne!!), and mpg didn't change.

Its quick enough for everyday in my opinion. Okay its not as quick as the 997 was but the torque gets it off the line, but you will need to pop it into Sport for the prompt get aways, in 'normal' it can initally seem as if there's a bit of lag, so I often pop it in and out of Sport depending on what junctions I'm pulling out of. Interestingly one club member did a track day at Blyton Park in a similar model and it surprised most people, including the instructors, and especially 2 x Boxsters that it passed.

Options you need - well I'd heard recommendation for, so went for air suspension with PASM - its on 21 inch wheels in the summer. It now on 18's with winters, and cannot detect any difference. i did have a loaner on steel suspension but didn't really drive enough to drawing conclusion. Others were:-

Heated windscreen - it would be hard for Mrs RCS ( and me) to scrape screen given its height and size!

Heated seats - nuff said

Reversing camera - a must , I haven't got it and rear window is a bit small. I can manage but preference would be have one

Panoramic sunroof - we thought they could look a little dark inside, especially where they are black leather, so that lightens it up. Do like driving with the blind back on most longer runs. Surprisingly little wind noise when its open or buffeting at normal speeds.

Powered tailgate - think this was an option until the facelift.

Zenon lights.

Ours also came with a heated steering wheel. Had never seen the point or was bothered, but having had a couple of cold frosty days it now makes excellent sense!!

Lastly had to buy one of those 'step up' platforms so I could wash the roof (and middle of windscreen!) and i'm average height. Air suspension also means you can raise it right up which makes cleaning in the wheel arches a lot easier!

Hope this helps.

I've added to a few threads on Cayenne Diesel with my views and not had chance to do a write up of my experience - 2012MY 12k miles in 10 months of ownership.

People will say Air Suspension is a must but having had it I'm not convinced as it depends on wheel size - 21" wheels you'll need it. I had 19" that helps prevent alloy kerbing

PASM is only good on super smooth roads. Put it in 'Sport' and whilst it hankers down on a rough uneven road it will be skipping along - not pleasant :what:

14 or 18 way seats is good to have. The 18 way seats are fantastic but you may struggle to find them. Heated is a must (believe me there are some out there with seat heating)

Panoramic roof will help you sell it down the line. Had mine open once and too much buffeting when fuly open.

Sat Nav essential (it wasn't standard early on). Not that its good, it aint but buyers will want it.

Multi-Function wheel is very useful

Powerlift gate yes but why they never allowed remote closure is beyond me!

Xenons. Wasn't that impressed but the PDLS is good.

Adaptive cruise. Fantastic but I doubt many will have it.

Heated screen. Had it but filament too thick so can distract. I'd not have that again and have heated steering wheel instead.

Reverse camera. Good idea as they are big beasts. Camera not as good as BMW's offering.

I could see 40+mpg on the trip computer on occasion but real world 32-34mpg fill up to fill up as the computer is rather 'ambitious' :roll: The thing can move and handle and it is a mile eater long distance cruiser.

Sold mine because I couldn't live with the 8speed Tiptronic box. Rush hour traffic it would be up/down and jerky like a fiddler's elbow :nooo: Had it checked by OPC and gave it a clean bill of health.

Fit and finish is very top drawer :thumb:

Issues: Watch for a potential leak on the bellhousing between engine/gearbox on 3.0D variant. Various reports usually a very small leak that you wont notice ordinarily due to engine covering underneath. Some say its very common and without a warranty it's a very expensive engine out job. OPC warranty and you're laughing.

Despite diesel they are still mileage sensitive when it comes to price.

4.2D V8 would be the one to get if you can push budget as they sound and go fantastic with a reasonable mpg :grin:

These are some excellent posts! Thank you.

The Pano roof and reversing camera are certainly options that I have scoped already - and think they're probably a must for me.

It sounds on the whole like the Cayenne is a fairly reliable car. I think the biggest decision will be whether I go for the V6 or the V8s. There is the option of shaking off the 997 and using that to fund a well spec'd V8s... but I'm not sure I can bring myself to do that at this point. :dont know:

Any opinions on the Petrol version? I have heard real world MPG on those is something like 17mpg! :hand: worse than a 911!

Have just had an emergency run to the vet with a dog that decided he had a headache and needed to eat some nurofen that our decorator had left lying about, I can confirm that the V6 diesel is quite quick around country lanes if not as good at the V8 diesel at the lights or on the autobahn.

Zorro said:
Have just had an emergency run to the vet with a dog that decided he had a headache and needed to eat some nurofen that our decorator had left lying about, I can confirm that the V6 diesel is quite quick around country lanes if not as good at the V8 diesel at the lights or on the autobahn.

Blimey - I hope the dog is ok! I drove the V6 last year as a rental - but it was on the way to a ski-trip, so the roads were icy and mountainous... not the best way to test the engine. But it felt pokey enough!

If you're going petrol go the Hybrid route. Just dont expect the optimistic consumption figures.

Also watch out you dont get one with a 'moody' colour scheme. I once looked over a V8D that was black but had a brown top dash :what:

The loaner was a petrol 'S', it went well, and initially i was impressed by the mpg - over 30 on M way and quick, straight A/B road use. Going back to the opc we had a drive around some slower twisty lanes and then there were delays on the M-way so very stop/go - mpg down to just about 20. Not good for a daily user.

I can vouch for the fact that the V8 4.2 has a great sound ,at idle or at foot down stage and it goes like ....the proverbial rat up a rone pipe....

T

I've got a V8 S Diesel on order which arrives early next year. Drove both diesels and both PASM set up's.

I've gone for the Air PASM because of the ability to raise and lower the car...the latter is especially useful when you have to park in underground garages with a roof box as I have found out with our current X5!

I thought the 3.0 was a little gutless coming from my X5 which has the twin turbo engine in it.

I think it's a very spec dependent car...smaller wheels without the wheel arch extensions or body kit and I don't think it helps the car at all.

PASM is a must regardless of wheel size but I think the steel is perfectly acceptable even with 21's

Things I think are very useful/must haves

Panoramic Roof
Roof Bars (can't be retrofitted and most people want them)
18 way seats - superb seats if not 14 way are a must have
Full leather (often described as Smooth Finish) Gives you leather dash and doors etc. Lifts the cabin massively and is "cheap" compared to what similar would cost on a 911
Sport body kit makes a massive difference to the look of the car
Wheels need to be at least 20"
Auto dimming mirrors (unbelievable you have to pay extra!)
Bose
Digital Radio (as for dimming mirrors)

I ticked those and a few more.....

There are a lot of cars with dodgy specs around!

Oh and the OPC told me that Silver cars are very hard to shift.

18-way seats are THE best seats I've ever sat in. At the time I just couldn't find one with all the extras I wanted. Looking back I should have bout the one with 18-way seats and no air suspension as the latter didn't over impress me :roll:

It's worth getting the aftermarket tail gate closing kit (c£90) as coming from a BMW you lose that function. Why Porsche decided you can remote open but not remote close it is beyond me. They've over-egged it on health & safety.

Zingari said:
18-way seats are THE best seats I've ever sat in. At the time I just couldn't find one with all the extras I wanted. Looking back I should have bout the one with 18-way seats and no air suspension as the latter didn't over impress me :roll:

Yup, the 18 ways are brilliant. My wife who is not prone to excitement about car related matters tried them and was instantly "we have to ahev a car with these"....given she's 5'9" and about 55kg and I am 6'2"and about twice her weight they do seem to work for everyone!

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smiggles772
Back